DL Cooper Dawson Opts Out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DL Cooper Dawson Opts Out

The problem is the 85 scholarship cap. Does the school grant them a redshirt year to come back for one more year or do they take the redshirt to graduate at the end of the year and transfer with one more year of eligibility.

Right. Another variable in the annual attrition calculation.

The problem is the 85 scholarship cap. Does the school grant them a redshirt year to come back for one more year or do they take the redshirt to graduate at the end of the year and transfer with one more year of eligibility.
I suspect that the numbers will be increased some how. It could impact the next 4-5 years of college sports.

I suspect that the numbers will be increased some how. It could impact the next 4-5 years of college sports.
I do to. I think the NCAA will have no choice but to increase next year’s limit to 100 or 105. It I want them to ensure that the only players who are able to be extended are kids who are academically on track and who were already in the program. If they let unchecked transfers, or carte blanche roster expansion, certain teams will just stockpile guys.

Completely disagree. Here is just one example: Why should seniors in their final year of eligibility who have not taken a redshirt season lose their last season playing, at best, in empty stadiums without the preparation (no spring football, etc.) that they deserve, not to mention putting their long term health at risk?
Two things. I think CL hit one of the main issues with the player cap and how do even handle that. Second I absolutely appreciate the sentiment you share and it can suck sometimes when anyone who deserves something does not get it but I am not sure that “deserving “ is a good enough reason. Good people every day, all over deserve things. I think players who want to make adult decisions understand that standing for your convictions might not always result in them getting a perfect outcome. Sounds hard but life lessons happen to everyone. I think honoring the scholarship is the more important aspect here. If the schools honor the scholarships for the players, that is the important thing.

I do to. I think the NCAA will have no choice but to increase next year’s limit to 100 or 105. It I want them to ensure that the only players who are able to be extended are kids who are academically on track and who were already in the program. If they let unchecked transfers, or carte blanche roster expansion, certain teams will just stockpile guys.
Agreed. 85+ number of players already on the roster that have opted out for this year due to COVID. Though there needs to be a cap. It can't be 85+85. I'm sure Saban will convince some low-performing players to opt out this year as they won't be seeing the field. "Give yourself an extra year to get up to speed in the program."

How much will it cost schools to add 20-30 more scholarships?

Are there some schools that can't afford the additional costs (even for just a year)?

Will schools end up raising their ticket prices as a result (and we all know that price increases are permanent).?

Will some current 2021 commits flip to other schools if their path to immediate playing time is blocked?

It costs 73k to attend Syracuse.

Assume 50 players get an extra year.

73k times 50 is 3.65 million dollars.

If a University which makes over 35 milllion in an annual TV revenue can’t afford to eat 3.65 million to take care of it’s football players then the Charade is over. The sport is a business and shut it down.

P5 schools have the resources to do right by it’s players.

Roy Williams donated over 600k to UNC to take care of the scholarship for the spring sports athletes.

Money can be raised.

It will cause a problem with recruiting and scholarship numbers. Some recruits may say no thank you and go elsewhere.

If a University which makes over 35 milllion in an annual TV revenue can’t afford to eat 3.65 million to take care of it’s football players then the Charade is over. The sport is a business and shut it down.

Roy Williams donated over 600k to UNC to take care of the scholarship for the spring sports athletes.

Money can be raised.
P5 schools can afford it. The rest may not be able to.
I think the NCAA needs to let each school do what they need to and forget the 85 limit for a couple years. I would think enough players would leave on there own due to playing time to even everything back out within a couple years.

Money can be raised.

That annual TV revenue is dispersed throughout the entire athletic department. Given the fact that there may be no fall sports, more money will be sunk into just keeping them alive for 2020 and beyond. There won't be as much extra money especially without the gate.

That annual TV revenue is dispersed throughout the entire athletic department. Given the fact that there may be no fall sports, more money will be sunk into just keeping them alive for 2020 and beyond. There won't be as much extra money especially without the gate.
Our AD doesn’t rely on TV revenue for all the other sports.
The TV revenue is a windfall.
Until we joined the ACC we had the same amount of varsity sports and were getting 5-10 million a year from TV revenue.

The AD has a lot more revenue from these last 3-4 years in TV money.

The athletes for revenue sports deserve priority in SU paying an extra year of scholarships if the NCAA gives them an extra year.

Completely disagree. Here is just one example: Why should seniors in their final year of eligibility who have not taken a redshirt season lose their last season playing, at best, in empty stadiums without the preparation (no spring football, etc.) that they deserve, not to mention putting their long term health at risk?

the same reason high school kids have to

From another point of view and have no opinion either way. Just something to think about. If seniors get another year, someone else is potentially missing out on playing time.

Schools like SU better take care of the athletes. These schools have billion dollar endowments. SU’s is valued at 1.4 billion. Spend some on some scholarships so kids don’t get penalized when this all works out. Nothing infuriates me more than these P5 schools acting like they are broke

Schools like SU better take care of the athletes. These schools have billion dollar endowments. SU’s is valued at 1.4 billion. Spend some on some scholarships so kids don’t get penalized when this all works out. Nothing infuriates me more than these P5 schools acting like they are broke

How are the athletes getting penalized? Cooper Dawson gets an $80k scholly this year, and doesnt have to spend it bashing his brains in and torturing his body. (I am not judging him - kids should definitely opt out if they think its best)

Can't just tap into the endowment especially for athletics. If it were that simple, more schools would do it.

It’s all fun and games when it’s backups and injured players. Wait till a star opts out.
I do not care who opts out. I will support whatever players decide to play, and hold no grudge against those who do not. If the team decides to cancel the season I wont be happy about it but I will understand the situation and live with it.

I think the NCAA needs to let each school do what they need to and forget the 85 limit for a couple years. I would think enough players would leave on there own due to playing time to even everything back out within a couple years.

Agree. In a world where kids can transfer and be eligible immediately which is coming who cares if Bama and Ped St have 150 kids on scholarship.

I can see having a roster limit and basically forcing schools to make cuts but let the kids attend for free.

But while I am not trying to be cold hearted you will have some problems with letting everyone remain at school and all that if they are not part of the program and playing or have no chance to play. Its probably hard enough to keep the kids who play under control but 50 other guys means more off the field incidents.

Agreed except for the “couple years” part. Should a one year deal. That’s it.

If there's no season, they should grant the extra year, and figure out title IV concerns.

The schools should have the right to waive the covid year of eligibility, if they so desire, on an individual basis.. The player would still retain the year-even if its elsewhere. Graduation, attrition, transferring, declaring will see the amount of covid eligibility waivers dropping fairly quickly.

Agreed except for the “couple years” part. Should a one year deal. That’s it.
I think it takes longer for the numbers to even back out. I would be for an unlimited number in year 1 and a limit higher than 85 in year two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom