Class of 2021 - DL Jaelin Moss (NY) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/30/20) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DL Jaelin Moss (NY) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/30/20)

Just a guess on my part ... grades?

If he signs and doesn't qualify, we lose the scholarship for a year.

He has until August 1 to officially sign an NLI.

And he can still enroll without signing anytime. He could be a late add like Bromley.

Depends on if Dino holds a slot for him or not.
I thought if a player signed early and didn't qualify you lost the scholarship.

Is he coming?

It's gotta be that he has to pass a certain number of classes.
Do they still use that sliding scale with the mix of credits, test scores and GPA?

I wouldn't hold your breath. Not going to say it's impossible but rarely do we see guys that go beyond the Feb signing day due to a qualifying issue get it resolved and make it to campus. More than likely a Prep/JUCO re-recruit option I'd guess.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Not going to say it's impossible but rarely do we see guys that go beyond the Feb signing day due to a qualifying issue get it resolved and make it to campus. More than likely a Prep/JUCO re-recruit option I'd guess.
If there was no chance, I think word would get out to that effect.

I think this situation remaining unresolved so late is pretty telling. I infer from it the following things:

1) Moss is very well thought of by the SU coaching staff and
2) Moss must be pretty close to qualifying

It is a dangerous practice to tie up a scholarship so late for a player who may or may not quality. This is the only player SU has given this special treatment to. DT is a position of need and Moss is someone the staff likes a lot.

I don’t believe SU would be keeping this open this late unless the staff thought he had a real chance to qualify. Don’t know if he needs to get some core courses completed, if his GPA needs a bump, or something else is in play, but I am guessing he is very close to qualifying.

If an article pops up about SU picking up a DT for 2021 out of the blue in the next couple of weeks, it probably means Jaelin didn’t make it. I like the NY kids and am rooting for him to snap up one of our last scholarships.

If there was no chance, I think word would get out to that effect.

I think this situation remaining unresolved so late is pretty telling. I infer from it the following things:

1) Moss is very well thought of by the SU coaching staff and
2) Moss must be pretty close to qualifying

It is a dangerous practice to tie up a scholarship so late for a player who may or may not quality. This is the only player SU has given this special treatment to. DT is a position of need and Moss is someone the staff likes a lot.

I don’t believe SU would be keeping this open this late unless the staff thought he had a real chance to qualify. Don’t know if he needs to get some core courses completed, if his GPA needs a bump, or something else is in play, but I am guessing he is very close to qualifying.

If an article pops up about SU picking up a DT for 2021 out of the blue in the next couple of weeks, it probably means Jaelin didn’t make it. I like the NY kids and am rooting for him to snap up one of our last scholarships.
I'm not sure we have a scholarship tied up, per se. Seems like we have several available.

It is a dangerous practice to tie up a scholarship so late for a player who may or may not quality.
We're at 85 with the 6th year holdovers, and he never put his name on paper. So that scholarship isn't tied up, and isn't desperately needed (relatively).

We're at 85 with the 6th year holdovers, and he never put his name on paper. So that scholarship isn't tied up, and isn't desperately needed (relatively).
Not to my way of thinking. They surely had other options. Sure things. And they chose not to go in those directions and instead to wait it out for Jaelin.

It is true if Moss does not qualify, they might still be able to fill that spot with someone else. Or just eat a scholarship for next season. But they preferred waiting to get the guy they really wanted. He was the only guy who got that treatment.

I think that says something.

Not to my way of thinking. They surely had other options. Sure things. And they chose not to go in those directions and instead to wait it out for Jaelin.

It is true if Moss does not qualify, they might still be able to fill that spot with someone else. Or just eat a scholarship for next season. But they preferred waiting to get the guy they really wanted. He was the only guy who got that treatment.

I think that says something.
Some High school coaches don’t forget that loyal treatment either. Thats the kind of thing that adds to the foundation of relationships between Dino/staff and Moss’s coach. Never a bad thing.

Another Fairport DL of note was Shawn Johnson, a 2003 NCAA I-AA consensus All-American at Delaware, who played briefly in the NFL (Raiders and Titans).