Class of 2022 - DL Kevin Jobity (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/2/22) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 DL Kevin Jobity (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/2/22)

We can only bring in 25 a cycle, so, not really
You have to do all the math. Last recruiting cycle they only took in 23. Two of the early enrollees in the 2022 class should be able to be backdated to 2021. Also this class is only 18 right now. Without backdating that still would leave seven spots to fill the class and reach 85. And with the transfer rule if anyone else transfers out they could take up to seven more kids if even with a class of 25 they don't make a full 85 roster of scholarship players.

He sounds like a reach to me. Unless SU is trying to make some inroads in western NY. I don’t see it. Second team Class B in New York is questionable.
His competition level is not great but he dominated and was named 2nd team all state ( not local all star team). Ive seen some high level players not make all state teams. Sometimes you have to watch film and determine if you like a prospect or not. Envision how he will look in the scheme. This kid has great change of direction and body control for his size. I can see why they might take a chance on this kid. Good fit for their scheme.

I’m all in on offering him a Scholly. We need more in state players (I know NY will never produce crazy amount of D1 players I get it) but this is a kid who has the intangibles and a bloodline of athleticism clearly. Put him in the weight room and let him learn for 2 years and I would be curious to see what he becomes. Simply said ITS WORTH THE RISK. Get him before other P5 programs get to him. As said in the article WVU has reached out. Time to close the deal January 28
People will be crying if he kills it somewhere else like Sirvocea Dennis

People will be crying if he kills it somewhere else like Sirvocea Dennis
Syracuse doesn't even have to expend any recruiting time to find and analyze these guys, all they have to do is watch the top regional FCS teams and who they are going after. When a guy has 20 FCS offers, that's a flag, those staffs are full of smart guys and they are beating the bush and doing their homework. Like Verse at UAlbany.

Last edited:
After reading this article, I think he’s worth a shot. It sounds like academics are not an issue with several Ivy League offers. If he’s only played one year of football, he has room for a lot of growth both physically and fundamentally. Sounds like he‘s our last defensive line recruit.

After reading this article, I think he’s worth a shot. It sounds like academics are not an issue with several Ivy League offers. If he’s only played one year of football, he has room for a lot of growth both physically and fundamentally. Sounds like he‘s our last defensive line recruit.
Absolutely. Appreciate you doing your research.

Here is the other part of this. If Syracuse doesn't recruit and offer guys like this and SirVocea and many others, then when they try to recruit the top player, their thought is: If Syracuse is offering, I must be real good and if I'm that good, why would I want to play at Syracuse when I can play at the top tier programs? And it's not like NY guys feel like this is their program, in order to feel that way. they would have to see a lot of other NY guys on the team, which there isn't. If they come for a visit and there are a bunch of NY guys they know and even played against or saw play in the sectionals, then you would have that camaraderie that every other school in their state has. Syracuse is more like a military academy in that regard. Army is in West Point, NY, but their recruits come from everywhere, it is not a regional team..

His competition level is not great but he dominated and was named 2nd team all state ( not local all star team). Ive seen some high level players not make all state teams. Sometimes you have to watch film and determine if you like a prospect or not. Envision how he will look in the scheme. This kid has great change of direction and body control for his size. I can see why they might take a chance on this kid. Good fit for their scheme.
You also can't teach size, which he already has. Having spent most of his life playing soccer, means he has to be athletic. He just needs time learning how to play football.
Better to take a chance on a player like this then another player who needs to put on a lot of weight, or has almost reached their limit on potential.

Feature shot of Kevin Jobity Jr. He is a 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive end/tight end for Maryvale (copy)

Kevin Jobity Jr. is a 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive end/tight end for Maryvale. James P.McCoy / Buffalo News▲

By Miguel Rodriguez News Sports Reporter
Updated Nov 9, 2021

Second-year Maryvale coach Nick Todaro remembers the first time he saw Kevin Jobity Jr. playing basketball via online stream for the Flyers during the Covid-19 pandemic in the winter.
Todaro was looking for athletic kids who might be interested in joining his team. Jobity stood out on video because he was the biggest kid on the court and moved very well.

Todaro arranged a meeting with Jobity, trying to convince the athletic 6-foot-4 lad to join his gridiron gang.

“We just tried selling him, ‘Hey, come out give it a try. Come out for one day and if you hate it, you never have to come back,’ ” Todaro said. “When I left the meeting, I didn’t think we had a shot at him. Honestly, I didn’t think I resonated.”

Until Jobity showed up a few days before the start of the Fall II season in March and said he’d give it a try.

Good call.

Jobity is still a football novice, but inexperience hasn’t stopped him from being a difference-making impact player for Maryvale. The 250-pound defensive end/tight end did his thing once again Saturday afternoon in helping the Flyers secure the No. 3 seed out of Class B North with a 45-20 rout of rival Cheektowaga.

Jobity finished with 10 tackles, a sack and batted down four passes. On offense, he threw for a touchdown, rushed for a score and caught a 20-yard pass on a 2-point conversion pushed back because of penalty.

Did we mention he’s still learning the finer nuances of the game?

“Sometimes we’ve got to stop him and remind him on very, very elementary things about the game, what gaps to go to and techniques to play and stuff you learn when your younger,” Todaro said. “He’s still learning those things as he goes, but he’s just playing on raw talent. He’s been an absolute stud.”
He comes from Division I blood lines.

Jobity's name might sound familiar to some local college basketball fans. His father, Kevin Jobity, played at Niagara University from 1995-99, then played professionally overseas. Junior is about 5 inches shorter than his father.

Jobity is a solid basketball player, but may have found his call playing football.

Jobity wasn’t totally devoid of football experience before joining the Flyers (5-3). He played the game as a fourth and fifth grader before shifting to soccer. He played soccer at Maryvale as a freshman, sophomore and junior. With the pandemic rules moving football into the spring, opportunity presented itself for him to return.

“Right away, you could tell he was different,” Todaro said of Jobity’s first practices. “It looked a lot different than a bunch of the kids we had – big kid, physical kid, agile for his size.”

The move agrees with Jobity.

“I love the intensity,” he said. “I love to be able to hit people and not get in trouble for it. I was always a super hyper kid, and football sort of allowed me to let it out.”

Todaro said the Flyers’ defense has been the team’s strength all season. He loves moving Jobity along the line to frustrate offenses. Todaro said he’s the team’s answer. What does that mean?

“He changes what the other team can or can’t do,” Todaro said.

Jobity would love for a chance to play football in college. He’s got intangibles (size and athleticism) that one can’t coach. It’s just a matter of getting in reps, getting more film.

Perhaps Saturday’s highlight package will catch someone’s attention.

“I always knew I could be a problem for the other team on the field,” Jobity said. “I’m just trying to continue that.”

Offers from Lafayette, St. Francis, Wagner, Colgate, CCSU, UNH, Fordham, Brown, Bryant, Holy Cross, Cornell, Lehigh, Columbia, Yale, UPenn, Princeton, Harvard, Villanova, URI, Army

PWOs from WVU, Buffalo, Pitt

You also can't teach size, which he already has. Having spent most of his life playing soccer, means he has to be athletic. He just needs time learning how to play football.
Better to take a chance on a player like this then another player who needs to put on a lot of weight, or has almost reached their limit on potential.
Good point

As always, Thank you for your input. Its great hearing from Pros.

Syracuse doesn't even have to expand any recruiting time to find and analyze these guys, all they have to do is watch the top regional FCS teams and who they are going after. When a guy has 20 FCS offers, that's a flag, those staffs are full of smart guys and they are beating the bush and doing their homework. Like Verse at UAlbany.
Good call. Let the fcs guys be out leads for recruits in state. They have much more of a grasp locally then us because they can get the talent they need in the FCS locally, while only a few of those guys really have D1 ability.

Here is the other part of this. If Syracuse doesn't recruit and offer guys like this and SirVocea and many others, then when they try to recruit the top player, their thought is: If Syracuse is offering, I must be real good and if I'm that good, why would I want to play at Syracuse when I can play at the top tier programs? And it's not like NY guys feel like this is their program, in order to feel that way. they would have to see a lot of other NY guys on the team, which there isn't. If they come for a visit and there are a bunch of NY guys they know and even played against or saw play in the sectionals, then you would have that camaraderie that every other school in their state has. Syracuse is more like a military academy in that regard. Army is in West Point, NY, but their recruits come from everywhere, it is not a regional team..
Winning consistently is what will start to draw top tier NYS recruits. Marrone already tried the “build up the roster with lesser recruited NYS recruits to get the best ones” approach. It didn’t work.

Winning consistently is what will start to draw top tier NYS recruits. Marrone already tried the “build up the roster with lesser recruited NYS recruits to get the best ones” approach. It didn’t work.
He didn't have time for that to really take off, unfortunately, but his teams were good with those players anyways.

This is the point that I've been trying to get at but haven't quite got there. The talent in almost all of these other states where football is a much bigger thing than in New York has been evaluated by dozens of professional scouts. Every player there is quantified and there is very little chance at getting a great talent that slips past them. The players in New York are almost not evaluated at all compared to the players in those states. There is a much higher chance of getting a truly great player out of this type of lightly recruiting terrain than getting a 3 star guy out of the gone over regions.

It’s also easy to burn 20-30 schollies on players who never see the field to maybe find 1 NFL player. Not a great %.

Who would those guys be? Tiller? Bromley?