Class of 2022 - DL Kevin Jobity (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/2/22) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 DL Kevin Jobity (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/2/22)

Been a fan since 1986. I don't recall seeing them have successful teams of primarily NYS players. There were always impact players from multiple states. When you have great players on good teams you can take more chances on mid to low tier players. They are not in position to do that right now.
Gedney comes to mind. Wonder if he would get an offer nowadays.

Kids are the same all over. North, South, East and West. True that a kid in Florida or Georgia or Texas or California have SOME advantages in weather allowing for year-round training. But an athlete in Florida is no different than an athlete in New York.

Pennsylvania has plenty of D1 football players.

The thing that’s different is that kids in the south pattern themselves after other athletes from the south who have had success. More commitment to coaching, facilities, and simple athletic opportunity comes from decades of regional interest in a sport which has offered success to athletes.

We like to say here that if SU could win more, we could recruit better and draw more fans. Both true. But what is often neglected is that if SU was winning, more local athletes would aspire to success in football.

For many years, SU tapped the NY high schools for underdeveloped lineman, kids who could play or had the size but didn’t have enough preparation or coaching to be D1 plug-and-play players. These kids took 2 to three years to get on the field. But when they did they were solid contributors, kids who held their own against players from any other part of the country. Somehow we got away from that.

I’m my opinion, SU needs those kids in the program, not just to take up roster spots. But also to be a pipeline of sorts for other NY kids to work towards some measure of success.

SU used to make a living off kids like this. Not just the Tim Greens or Daryl Johnstons, but the Jamie Kimmels, Jared Kimmel, Bill Pendock, Paul Frase, Tim Pidgeon, Will Allen, Keith Moody, Chris Gedney, Robert Drummond, Blaise Winter… and on and on. These guys were the norm, not the exception.

Syracuse needs to help develop kids to help breed success back into NY football.

Gedney comes to mind. Wonder if he would get an offer nowadays.
Why wouldnt he? There has been a bunch of impact players from NYS through the years. They just werent all on one team at the same time.

Recruiting is about relationships and winning!
If we build relationships with NY coaches and go bowling on a regular basis, we will get more NY athletes like we do routinely in lacrosse.

Kids are the same all over. North, South, East and West. True that a kid in Florida or Georgia or Texas or California have SOME advantages in weather allowing for year-round training. But an athlete in Florida is no different than an athlete in New York.

The thing that’s different is that kids in the south pattern themselves after other athletes from the south who have had success. More commitment to coaching, facilities, and simple athletic opportunity comes from decades of regional interest in a sport which has offered success to athletes.

We like to say here that if SU could win more, we could recruit better and draw more fans. Both true. But what is often neglected is that if SU was winning, more local athletes would aspire to success in football.

For many years, SU tapped the NY high schools for underdeveloped lineman, kids who could play or had the size but didn’t have enough preparation or coaching to be D1 plug-and-play players. These kids took 2 to three years to get on the field. But when they did they were solid contributors, kids who held their own against players from any other part of the country. Somehow we got away from that.

I’m my opinion, SU needs those kids in the program, not just to take up roster spots. But also to be a pipeline of sorts for other NY kids to work towards some measure of success.

SU used to make a living off kids like this. Not just the Tim Greens or Daryl Johnstons, but the Jamie Kimmels, Jared Kimmel, Bill Pendock, Paul Frase, Tim Pidgeon, Will Allen, Keith Moody, Chris Gedney, Robert Drummond, Blaise Winter… and on and on. These guys were the norm, not the exception.

Syracuse needs to help develop kids to help breed success back into NY football.
I loved Moose and still love him.

I guess that depends on how far back you want to go. The teams before and up until P left had a lot of NY players on them and were more successful than the teams after he left. It probably correlates pretty closely.

Yes, let’s look at what made us successful 30-50 years ago and go back to emulating that recruiting strategy. Because nothing has changed in the NYS HS athletic landscape.

I guess that depends on how far back you want to go. The teams before and up until P left had a lot of NY players on them and were more successful than the teams after he left. It probably correlates pretty closely.
giphy (13).gif

Your list of a dozen or so guys spans like 30 years. I know that there are more and you just chose a couple of handfuls off the top of your head, but SU was not very good in the 70s and early 80s (ftr, Tim Green does not fit your description of an underdeveloped HS kid that produced in year 3 and 4) You also left off the list of out of state guys that is probably a lot longer and more distinguished. SUs top period of success, the later Mac and P years, the roster had many guys from NJ, MA, CT, PA, MD-DC, FL. McNabb was from IL, Reyes from OH...
It's also not accurate to say kids are the same all over. Maybe genetically speaking they are, but socio-economic and demographically speaking, they aren't. A 6'4" guy in Vermont is not as likely to develop the zeal for football required to put in the time and effort to fill out his frame and develop the requisite football skills to compete in FBS as a similar size and athletic body in the Philly area.

Your list of a dozen or so guys spans like 30 years. I know that there are more and you just chose a couple of handfuls off the top of your head, but SU was not very good in the 70s and early 80s (ftr, Tim Green does not fit your description of an underdeveloped HS kid that produced in year 3 and 4) You also left off the list of out of state guys that is probably a lot longer and more distinguished. SUs top period of success, the later Mac and P years, the roster had many guys from NJ, MA, CT, PA, MD-DC, FL. McNabb was from IL, Reyes from OH...
It's also not accurate to say kids are the same all over. Maybe genetically speaking they are, but socio-economic and demographically speaking, they aren't. A 6'4" guy in Vermont is not as likely to develop the zeal for football required to put in the time and effort to fill out his frame and develop the requisite football skills to compete in FBS as a similar size and athletic body in the Philly area.
I will just add on to this that the culture of southern football players is just different. They live and breath football. Its a dawg mentality down there. When you have that it establishes an early foundation of competitive spirits that's needed to survive in college football onto the pro's.

We are much better off taking a risk on a NY kid than one from Texas. Id like to see us take a minimum of 3 5 NY kids a year
I agree I would take a risk on NY player over Texas. I would like NY players also put we need to get the best players we can regardless of location. However if both players are equal in every other way I would take the NY player.

We are much better off taking a risk on a NY kid than one from Texas. Id like to see us take a minimum of 3 5 NY kids a year
It might make more sense to take a risk on a NY kid, for a number of reasons, but as for whether we're better off, that depends on if the player develops.

It might make more sense to take a risk on a NY kid, for a number of reasons, but as for whether we're better off, that depends on if the player develops.
If Jobity grew up in Texas he would be a 4 star, and his coach would call him Joe Betty.

If Jobity grew up in Texas he would be a 4 star, and his coach would call him Joe Betty.
And he would leave SU after a season or two and head back to the strangest State in the Union

I will just add on to this that the culture of southern football players is just different. They live and breath football. Its a dawg mentality down there. When you have that it establishes an early foundation of competitive spirits that's needed to survive in college football onto the pro's.
Part of the problem with evaluating kids like Kevin is this mentality. How is he going to do when he starts playing against players he can‘t toss around like he does at that level. Who knowns. Love your evaluations though!

Part of the problem with evaluating kids like Kevin is this mentality. How is he going to do when he starts playing against players he can‘t toss around like he does at that level. Who knowns. Love your evaluations though!
Absolutely agree. I guess you have to determine the risk.

He was just named 2nd team class B all state. From Cheektowaga. Has 20 offers. Looks like so far, Army is the best one.

You are always on top of this stuff.
We are very grateful, tomcat!

Army offer is a good offer in my book, particularly for a kid playing DLine.

It's almost like you figure "those kids were probably wrestlers".

Absolutely agree. I guess you have to determine the risk.
I have pushed for more emphasis recruiting NYS kids for a long time but also understand and agree there are issues that limit the number and quality of P5 level players that come out of here.

The top sport in the state is not clearly football. Some kids prefer lacrosse. Some prefer basketball, some baseball, etc. for much of the state, HS football games are not the giant social events they are in places like Florida, Texas and Pennsylvania.

The best RB prospect in the state for 2023 might will be TJ Conley of FM. He is a legacy recruit for us, the son of Dan Conley, who was a great player for us and also coached our linebackers for years.

You would think he would be a lock for us but he is already verbally committed to Rutgers. To play lacrosse.

Anyway Kevin is a pretty extraordinary story. Only played football for a year and rose from nothing to make 2nd team all state. This would never have happened had he attended football in one of the big football states. With his size, he would have been locked into the sport a king time ago.

And now has even gotten serious interest from the best program in the state. All in the span of less than 12 months.

That is a remarkable achievement I think his ceiling is really high and there is good reason to believe he is going to get a lot better as he gets more coaching, improves his technique and is exposed to better off season training for football. Hope we get him.

I have pushed for more emphasis recruiting NYS kids for a long time but also understand and agree there are issues that limit the number and quality of P5 level players that come out of here.

The top sport in the state is not clearly football. Some kids prefer lacrosse. Some prefer basketball, some baseball, etc. for much of the state, HS football games are not the giant social events they are in places like Florida, Texas and Pennsylvania.

The best RB prospect in the state for 2023 might will be TJ Conley of FM. He is a legacy recruit for us, the son of Dan Conley, who was a great player for us and also coached our linebackers for years.

You would think he would be a lock for us but he is already verbally committed to Rutgers. To play lacrosse.

Anyway Kevin is a pretty extraordinary story. Only played football for a year and rose from nothing to make 2nd team all state. This would never have happened had he attended football in one of the big football states. With his size, he would have been locked into the sport a king time ago.

And now has even gotten serious interest from the best program in the state. All in the span of less than 12 months.

That is a remarkable achievement I think his ceiling is really high and there is good reason to believe he is going to get a lot better as he gets more coaching, improves his technique and is exposed to better off season training for football. Hope we get him.
That's interesting for sure. There could be reasons why he want to leave the state. Some times kids just choose to stick with a sport they enjoy more. College football is a grind. You have to love the game or you want last or reach your full potential. I will check his film out when I get a chance.

I have a home in SC and HS football is God. These kids live breathe and eat football. Lacrosse and Hockey dont exist. Baseball is huge and the bball is good.

I have a home in SC and HS football is God. These kids live breathe and eat football. Lacrosse and Hockey dont exist. Baseball is huge and the bball is good.
The traditional big three sports, Football, Hoops, Baseball

Fall, Winter, Spring