Class of 2022 - DL Kevin Jobity (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/2/22) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 DL Kevin Jobity (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/2/22)

Let's not forget Jay Bromley

Bromley was a lottery ticket or a unicorn. You can’t fill even part of a roster with those guys b/c the resources necessary to find them, SU doesn’t have. And those players don’t exist on a large scale. Sure, players here and there fall through the cracks. Trying to build a roster on those players is a sure way to lose your job.

It’s also easy to burn 20-30 schollies on players who never see the field to maybe find 1 NFL player. Not a great %.
Now with the portal, if they're not getting productive by year 3, you can replace them. It always seems like there are a fair number of players on the roster who don't work out regardless of their star rankings.

He didn't have time for that to really take off, unfortunately, but his teams were good with those players anyways.
I agree he didnt stay long enough to see. He came close with Ishaq Williams. Got Wayne Morgan. He had Gus Edwards and was in a tight race with Ogundeko. I think he was well on his way to landing some of the top 5 prospects in the state each year.

I agree he didnt stay long enough to see. He came close with Ishaq Williams. Got Wayne Morgan. He had Gus Edwards ans was in a tight race with Ogundeko. I think he was well on his way to landing some of the top 5 prospects in the state each year.
That Ishaq deal was a bad deal with Notre Dame. Notre Dame and Penn State fear the Syracuse program getting on track and pushing on their recruiting turf and will do anything to stop it.

Who would those guys be? Tiller? Bromley?
I’d say Wayne Morgan was the caliber of recruit we were trying to build up to consistently. Top 5 in the state, SEC level offers, etc. Ishaq as well who we still missed out on.

But we had a laundry list of NY guys who never made much impact on the 2 deep to get to a point of being marginally successful at recruiting national level NYS recruits.

Gotta win consistently and be ranked consistently to do that. They’ll come when you do that. Doesn’t seem to work with the “my teammate who was so/so and chose them over Stony Brook” plays there.

The JUCO’s from Nassau had more to do with Anselmo than anything. It’s no surprise we haven’t seen a guy from there pretty much since he left.

All this being said, I’m not against offering a prospect like this. But it should be done situationally and not as part of some greater strategy. That rarely pans out.

Bromley was a lottery ticket or a unicorn. You can’t fill even part of a roster with those guys b/c the resources necessary to find them, SU doesn’t have. And those players don’t exist on a large scale. Sure, players here and there fall through the cracks. Trying to build a roster on those players is a sure way to lose your job.
People love to throw out Bromley but they also selectively forget Steve Rene, Jeremiah Kobena, John Kinder, Mario Tull, etc.

I just really think this kid is going to get the Jobity done if he ends at ‘Cuse, amirite?!?
tom brady GIF

::takes a 5 minute self-ban::

Now with the portal, if they're not getting productive by year 3, you can replace them. It always seems like there are a fair number of players on the roster who don't work out regardless of their star rankings.

This just makes no sense. Every month I have to remind myself why not to go down a rabbit hole replying to things you write.

So yes, great strategy. Fill a roster with guys that may never see the field by year 3 then replace them. Do that year after year and that sounds like a winning strategy. My god. Why am I still writing.

And just fyi, despite how people might interpret my comments/replies above. I think this is the type of player you take a chance on and I would love to offer him a schollie
Yup. We absolutely should consider taking this kid. We haven’t taken many flyers of late and this is a low risk high reward situation Imo.

I’d say Wayne Morgan was the caliber of recruit we were trying to build up to consistently. Top 5 in the state, SEC level offers, etc. Ishaq as well who we still missed out on.

But we had a laundry list of NY guys who never made much impact on the 2 deep to get to a point of being marginally successful at recruiting national level NYS recruits.

Gotta win consistently and be ranked consistently to do that. They’ll come when you do that. Doesn’t seem to work with the “my teammate who was so/so and chose them over Stony Brook” plays there.

The JUCO’s from Nassau had more to do with Anselmo than anything. It’s no surprise we haven’t seen a guy from there pretty much since he left.

All this being said, I’m not against offering a prospect like this. But it should be done situationally and not as part of some greater strategy. That rarely pans out.
Spot on

People love to throw out Bromley but they also selectively forget Steve Rene, Jeremiah Kobena, John Kinder, Mario Tull, etc.
Kobena did some things, I thought he was goin to be faster than he turned out to be.
This just makes no sense. Every month I have to remind myself why not to go down a rabbit hole replying to things you write.

So yes, great strategy. Fill a roster with guys that may never see the field by year 3 then replace them. Do that year after year and that sounds like a winning strategy. My god. Why am I still writing.
Because the current strategy is producing such great results? The 3 star and 4 star players out of florida and other such places have already developing most of their potential.

and Foy, Palmer, Dixon, Mackey, Siriki, Reddish, Robinson, Hunt, Simmons. All good to very good players. I don’t agree with putting Kobena with those other guys.

And just fyi, despite how people might interpret my comments/replies above. I think this is the type of player you take a chance on and I would love to offer him a schollie
Same. I'm just over the offer all warm bodies so we can land a 5 star strategy. It doesn't work.

Kobena did some things, I thought he was goin to be faster than he turned out to be.

Because the current strategy is producing such great results? The 3 star and 4 star players out of florida and other such places have already developing most of their potential.
Speed wasn't Kobena's problem. He was fast as hell but had as bad a set of hands that I've ever seen. He, literally, couldn't catch a cold.

Speed wasn't Kobena's problem. He was fast as hell but had as bad a set of hands that I've ever seen. He, literally, couldn't catch a cold.
Track star disguised in a football uniform

That depends upon your recruiting strategy; if your intention is to develop enhanced relationships with New York football then it could work to our benefit and if you add that to enhancing our relationshippick with NJ as well then you may well find a gold mine. Currently, we are picking them up in the transfer portal like our QB pickup and our NJ additions.

Here's the thing. There has never been evidence of Cuse success with a roster of kids primarily from NYS. I dont see successful P5 schools coming and grabbing a bunch of mid to low tier NYS kids. Bottom line, you have to get the best players you can get from whatever state you can and develop them. It doesnt guarantee anything. You still have to win the games but its the only strategy that gave SU consistent success.

You are right. He could not catch. That's why we couldnt utlize his speed.

We’ve had a few of those. Give me a “slow” Alec Lemon all day long.

Well, up until his Sr year, Sir Alec Lemon was given the nickname “Lemon drops”.

So, while he had an excellent Sr season, his performance before that was, a bit sour.

Here's the thing. There has never been evidence of Cuse success with a roster of kids primarily from NYS. I dont see successful P5 schools coming and grabbing a bunch of mid to low tier NYS kids. Bottom line, you have to get the best players you can get from whatever state you can and develop them. It doesnt guarantee anything. You still have to win the games but its the only strategy that gave SU consistent success.
I guess that depends on how far back you want to go. The teams before and up until P left had a lot of NY players on them and were more successful than the teams after he left. It probably correlates pretty closely.

I guess that depends on how far back you want to go. The teams before and up until P left had a lot of NY players on them and were more successful than the teams after he left. It probably correlates pretty closely.
Been a fan since 1986. I don't recall seeing them have successful teams of primarily NYS players. There were always impact players from multiple states. When you have great players on good teams you can take more chances on mid to low tier players. They are not in position to do that right now.