DM to the Nfl question | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DM to the Nfl question

What's the average coaching stay of a BCS HC that loses?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Bees, what really matters is the average coaching stay at SU. Could you really see SU firing Marrone anytime in the near future unless we are absolutely brutal?

Problem is those job opportunities aren't destination NFL jobs. They are usually at the Cleveland, Kansas City's, Buffalos of the world.
Is there such a thing as a "destination job" in the NFL? I think it's different than college. New Orleans wasn't a destination job 10-15 years ago, but Sean Payton has made it into one of the elite franchises. DM was part of that. New England was considered a joke prior to Bill Parcells and then Belichick, now it would be considered one of the best jobs in the league. Buffalo was an elite franchise in the 90's. Dallas is probably the Notre Dame of the NFL, but good coaches know they don't want to deal with Jerry Jones. I think the salary cap really has evened the playing field. It's all about the front office and whether the coach has the level of control over personnel that he wants.

Bees, what really matters is the average coaching stay at SU. Could you really see SU firing Marrone anytime in the near future unless we are absolutely brutal?

Not really. He will leave when he thinks he should. But that wasn't the question. An NFL job isn't any less stable than college as ling as you win. Plus, the NFL, like the NBA and MLB has the feel of an old boys network. Fired coaches always seem to pop up someplace else in some role. I don't see the stability question having any factor in any decision Marrone may or may nit have to make.

I think Marrone would be nuts to take a HC position with a team that is a mess. If Marrone is NFL material this year then he will be next year or the year after and so on. Why go to a team like Jacksonville which is a dead end? If he was there three years and went 6-10 every year (which would be a good job given that mess) and got fired then his NFL HC career is likely over despite doing a fairly good job. The following NFL jobs will likely open up the next few years Giants, Jets, Skins, and Lions. I think all of those would be very attractive for Marrone. As to this year I would only be worried about Philly. The rest are messes.

I think Marrone would be nuts to take a HC position with a team that is a mess. If Marrone is NFL material this year then he will be next year or the year after and so on. Why go to a team like Jacksonville which is a dead end? If he was there three years and went 6-10 every year (which would be a good job given that mess) and got fired then his NFL HC career is likely over despite doing a fairly good job. The following NFL jobs will likely open up the next few years Giants, Jets, Skins, and Lions. I think all of those would be very attractive for Marrone. As to this year I would only be worried about Philly. The rest are messes.

why would the skins job open up?

Is there such a thing as a "destination job" in the NFL? I think it's different than college. New Orleans wasn't a destination job 10-15 years ago, but Sean Payton has made it into one of the elite franchises. DM was part of that. New England was considered a joke prior to Bill Parcells and then Belichick, now it would be considered one of the best jobs in the league. Buffalo was an elite franchise in the 90's. Dallas is probably the Notre Dame of the NFL, but good coaches know they don't want to deal with Jerry Jones. I think the salary cap really has evened the playing field. It's all about the front office and whether the coach has the level of control over personnel that he wants.
Pittsburgh and Dallas are pretty much it for NFL "destinations".

With all due respect to marrone...hes done a fine job(ill wait till hes at least 2 games under .500 next year before calling him doogie) If I'm a fan of an NFL team and they hire him....I'm going ballistic.

He needs to do more.

He's going nowhere.

two or three years from now, Gmen.

This is where I'm at. HCDM seems like a rather smart guy (for a meathead of course), so I think he knows he has a decent shot of replacing another SU alum in Jersey in about 2 years time. He would be an absolutely perfect head coach for the Maras and Tischs. Hoping he doesn't jump at the first NFL job he gets offered.

With all due respect to marrone...hes done a fine job(ill wait till hes at least 2 games under .500 next year before calling him doogie) If I'm a fan of an NFL team and they hire him....I'm going ballistic.

He needs to do more.

He's going nowhere.

Somebody wasn't paying attention to SU football during 2005-2008. Marrone has absolutely done enough to be an NFL head coach. I'm hoping its in 2-3 years time to be coach of our New York Football Giants.

I've never met Mrs. Marrone and she is a coaches widow as all coaches wives are, maybe it's time for us to send her some flowers, fruit baskets and a cheese of the month (the gift that just keeps on giving!) because she will have a huge say in this as it's her life as well and the NFL is a nutty 24/7 business as she knows better than we do.

If offered and the money is right, you go.

Only if that's what you want to do. There are a lot of professors in college that could make more in industry, etc. They stay to teach and help young people grow and reach their dreams. Sometimes people believe that is the higher calling. Its a wise man who knows when he is happy, and doesn't seek to screw it up.
Who knows?

Somebody wasn't paying attention to SU football during 2005-2008. Marrone has absolutely done enough to be an NFL head coach. I'm hoping its in 2-3 years time to be coach of our New York Football Giants.
I will start the 'Fire Marrone' chant when he walks to the podium.

He's done nothing NFL worthy at SU.

Did he pull it out of the depths on grobbycakes? Yes, but that's not NFL worthy. He would need to Win a TON of big games, saturday gameday games, real bowl games...to be worth a look.

And even then, the Giants won't look at him till he's back in the NFL, running HIS offense.

Did he pull it out of the depths on grobbycakes? Yes, but that's not NFL worthy. He would need to Win a TON of big games, saturday gameday games, real bowl games...to be worth a look.
You mean like Schiano did at Rutgers?

And even then, the Giants won't look at him till he's back in the NFL, running HIS offense.

You've never really jumped on the Dougie Wagon like most of us, but he was being talked about as a head coach during his Saints days. The last 4 years certainly haven't hurt him. He'll be in the League within 3 years (and maybe sooner).

For the record, my preference is he remains a lifer here but that's so rare that I don't see it happen.

You've never really jumped on the Dougie Wagon like most of us, but he was being talked about as a head coach during his Saints days. The last 4 years certainly haven't hurt him. He'll be in the League within 3 years (and maybe sooner).

For the record, my preference is he remains a lifer here but that's so rare that I don't see it happen.
Hey, I won't say some dumb NFL team won't take a chance on him, but I will guaran-in-tee u, the Giants won't.

The next straight from college coach they hire will be their 1st. And when they do it, I will also guarantee u he has already spent time in the organization. They like to know their guys 1st.

two or three years from now, Gmen.

Gun to the head prediction, I'd say the same.

He needs to do more.

He's going nowhere.
Mrs. Marrone appreciates that...

Hey, I won't say some dumb NFL team won't take a chance on him, but I will guaran-in-tee u, the Giants won't.

The next straight from college coach they hire will be their 1st. And when they do it, I will also guarantee u he has already spent time in the organization. They like to know their guys 1st.

He's spent time in the league. This isn't Schiano.

Gun to the head prediction, I'd say the same.

Then you'll be shot.

Take off the orange glasses.

He's spent time in the league. This isn't Schiano.
Yeah, with the freakin jets and with mr popular Sean Payton.

The Giants won't even look at him.

Pittsburgh and Dallas are pretty much it for NFL "destinations".
Those were the two I thought may be the closest. How much longer does Jerry Jones have to make stupid decisions before he becomes Al Davis?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom