DO: Maryland and Syracuse working on series, Terps’ coach Edsall says | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DO: Maryland and Syracuse working on series, Terps’ coach Edsall says

Chip just took down his For Sale sign.
He'll be sticking around for another couple of years.

We should do a series with games at both the Dome, Byrd Stadium, Metlife, and the Ravens Stadium. That way we get a quality non-conference game that is winnable in good recruiting grounds.

I was really looking forward to playing Maryland, but since they are in the B10 now I'd prefer nobody else on the east coast schedules them. Let them rot with their midwest friends.

At MD is good for recruiting the DelMarVa.

Ambivalent.

Old time rival.

Easy road trip.

But don't want MD to play in the east.

Go play ND State or Illinois State.

Count me in the minority, but I find this match-up boring.

There's just nothing compelling about the Terp football program.

Don't get me wrong, I realize 'Cuse needs potentially "winnable" games as you can't line up 3-4 elite programs every season, but I find it hard to be psyched about a series vs. Maryland.

Prime recruiting area...and Maryland is leaving the ACC, so a lot of those kids my be more inclined to listen to SU now. Good timing.

Ambivalent.

Old time rival.

Easy road trip.

But don't want MD to play in the east.

Go play ND State or Illinois State.

Every home game Maryland plays is in the east.

Just like every home game we play is in the north, even though we're now in a southern-tilting conference.

Happy if we schedule them, good access to road games for folks in the northeast corridor.

Every home game Maryland plays is in the east.

Just like every home game we play is in the north, even though we're now in a southern-tilting conference.

Happy if we schedule them, good access to road games for folks in the northeast corridor.

Well, yes and no.

If MD is not afforded a chance to play in Syracuse, but is forced to play at Illinois State - it's not playing in the East - it has less of a presence in our recruiting areas.

MD wants to play SU in order preserve its eastern identity.

Although I like the idea of playing an old rival, I don't really want to help MD.

I agree OrangePA. I would really like have a home and home with Maryland but would also like to see them twist in the wind as well. It's a football conundrum for me.

Well, yes and no.

If MD is not afforded a chance to play in Syracuse, but is forced to play at Illinois State - it's not playing in the East - it has less of a presence in our recruiting areas.

Although I like the idea of playing an old rival, I don't really want to help MD.
bollocks.

them coming to the Dome 1x, 2x or maybe 3x wont do diddly for them.

but it helps the Orange.

Cuse wont lose 1 guy to maryland because he saw them in the Dome. if they lose someone to maryland its because he wants to go there or to play in the b1g.

Cuse should be playing rutgers too, seriously...the Orange should be playing the b1g schools who they recruit against. why go on tour to areas of the country where they will never get more than 1 or 2 kids over a 5 year period??

the only northeast school who Syracuse should be avoiding is storz. why? well in case you all forgot, its because they are Fn useless.

Oh Lord

Well, yes and no.

Thinking about this more, I agree this does help Maryland, and worse, it undermines an assumed agreement by all the ACC schools Maryland is abandoning to never schedule that school again.

The prudent course of action would be to discuss this with the other ACC ADs and see what they think. If they feel strongly Syracuse should not schedule the Terps, I would fall in line with the party line. One of the big reasons the Big East failed was that every school was out for themselves. We need to start looking out for what is best for the ACC, not Syracuse.

That being said, I think it is going to be almost impossible to prevent Maryland from playing away games in the East. The ACK schools in the East (UConn and Temple) would fall over themselves to schedule the Terps, they are going to play at RU and PSU regularly and if they want, I am quite sure WVU would schedule them as well. And they could play MAC schools like UMass and UB with no problem either...

Still, assuming this is what the ACC ADs want, Maryland should be made of an example of what happens when a school abandons its history, long time rivals and conference in a pitiful money grab.

Let their fans look wistfully at the ACC schools they loved to play, while they a fed a steady diet of RU, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue and Minnesota.

Cow_female_black_white.jpg

Well, yes and no.

I don't think SU is helping MD out though. I get your point, but Maryland will have a NJ game with Rutgers, PA game with Penn State so they aren't getting locked out of the Northeast by any measures this game is more beneficial for SU than MD because we haven't been scheduling good non-conference games lately Frasier and Dr. Gross haven't really been scheduling that far into the future so MD is a good series IMO because its a winnable series in a good region for our fanbase to travel too and see good games, and SU doesn't have the bad blood with MD that Duke, UNC, do because MD was a founding member of the ACC like SU was a founding member of the Big East. I would do a series where we play games at each other's homefields and play neutral site games. While some don't think Maryland in Metlife is good I think if we are going to play these games there by contract as long as we play them in the Dome go ahead and play them in Metlife and fulfill the contractual agreement we have with the Metlife people and then play a game at the Raven M&T Stadium as well. 4 game series with the Twerps 1 at the Dome, 1 at Metlife, 1 at Byrd Stadium, 1 at M&T is perfect it gets us a decent non-conference game banked on the future schedule and doesn't hurt us one bit.

Thinking about this more, I agree this does help Maryland, and worse, it undermines an assumed agreement by all the ACC schools Maryland is abandoning to never schedule that school again.

The prudent course of action would be to discuss this with the other ACC ADs and see what they think. If they feel strongly Syracuse should not schedule the Terps, I would fall in line with the party line. One of the big reasons the Big East failed was that every school was out for themselves. We need to start looking out for what is best for the ACC, not Syracuse.

That being said, I think it is going to be almost impossible to prevent Maryland from playing away games in the East. The ACK schools in the East (UConn and Temple) would fall over themselves to schedule the Terps, they are going to play at RU and PSU regularly and if they want, I am quite sure WVU would schedule them as well. And they could play MAC schools like UMass and UB with no problem either...

Still, assuming this is what the ACC ADs want, Maryland should be made of an example of what happens when a school abandons its history, long time and conference in a pitiful money grab.

Let their fans look wistfully at the ACC schools they loved to play, while they a fed a steady diet of RU, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue and Minnesota.
I agree with this post (and fought the same battle on this board for years regarding BC), but I would be shocked if SU didn't at least run this potential series by a few powers-that-be in our new league.

Who cares what the ACC powers want I get UNC, or Duke basketball may not want to play Maryland, but I doubt any football schools care about not playing them. When Boston College left the Big East for the ACC none of the Big East teams wanted to schedule BC. Guess who the first Big East to schedule them was? Syracuse in football and those phonies from Providence College in basketball. The Friars were so mad at BC they scheduled the Eagles one year after they left the ACC from the Big East. At the end of the day non-conference scheduling is doing what is in the best interests of your program. I doubt Florida State or Clemson or Georgia Tech or North Carolina really care we are playing a couple of football games with Maryland they will likely care more that we put a good team on the field to generate a good SOS for the conference.

Great news.

Easy win, easy road trip, easy access to tickets, strong market for Syracuse. This will work out well...

Hope they will be willing to play us in basketball and lacrosse too...

This is an absolute must, IMO. The fact that we aren't in Philly/DC/Balt/NYC in any way shape or form right now has to change. It's a lifeblood for our hoops recruiting and certainly important for our f'ball and, to a lesser extent, lacrosse recruiting as well.

And for selfish fans like me who don't like the Dome and live in the mid-Atlantic, it's nice to be able to have access to see this team play some games live. Not trying to overstate things, but until such time as the ACC actually has a legit northeast presence beyond simply SU/BC/ND, there has to be a strong, concerted effort to schedule games like these.

as can most here.

losing them was a tough one.

this should be a 6 game deal. played over 10 years. 3 homes each.

Oh Lord

I agree -- not sure why people think our playing or not playing them has much effect on UMD football as a whole. I get that they're playing a lot of away games in the midwest, but those are pretty cool venues that will be just as attractive for some recruits as they'll be unattractive for more local-minded kids. Playing in the horseshoe or the big house, etc. would be pretty cool.

If it didn't set a bad precendent I'd have no problem with all these being away games. Play at college park, four times in the next 6 or 7 years? I"m good with that -- good for recruiting and I don't have to drive 6 hours to SU to see it.

I don't think SU is helping MD out though. I get your point, but Maryland will have a NJ game with Rutgers, PA game with Penn State so they aren't getting locked out of the Northeast by any measures this game is more beneficial for SU than MD because we haven't been scheduling good non-conference games lately Frasier and Dr. Gross haven't really been scheduling that far into the future so MD is a good series IMO because its a winnable series in a good region for our fanbase to travel too and see good games, and SU doesn't have the bad blood with MD that Duke, UNC, do because MD was a founding member of the ACC like SU was a founding member of the Big East. I would do a series where we play games at each other's homefields and play neutral site games. While some don't think Maryland in Metlife is good I think if we are going to play these games there by contract as long as we play them in the Dome go ahead and play them in Metlife and fulfill the contractual agreement we have with the Metlife people and then play a game at the Raven M&T Stadium as well. 4 game series with the Twerps 1 at the Dome, 1 at Metlife, 1 at Byrd Stadium, 1 at M&T is perfect it gets us a decent non-conference game banked on the future schedule and doesn't hurt us one bit.
i fail to see any reason for maryland to play at the ravens stadium.

Giants Stadium makes sense for Syracuse because its 4hrs away and in the heart of where they are trying to recruit.

college park is basically baltimore already, theres no advantage. its not like they cant fill the demand for tickets on campus ala rut to Giants Stadium and bc to foxboro when both had much smaller capacities.

i get what tom said about 1 unified ACC...and if thats the party line, then toe it.

but if its not, schedule maryland.

Oh Lord

bollocks.

them coming to the Dome 1x, 2x or maybe 3x wont do diddly for them.

but it helps the Orange.

Cuse wont lose 1 guy to maryland because he saw them in the Dome. if they lose someone to maryland its because he wants to go there or to play in the b1g.

Cuse should be playing rutgers too, seriously...the Orange should be playing the b1g schools who they recruit against. why go on tour to areas of the country where they will never get more than 1 or 2 kids over a 5 year period??

the only northeast school who Syracuse should be avoiding is storz. why? well in case you all forgot, its because they are Fn useless.

Oh Lord

I can't say I agree with you.

When MD comes to SU it will have a chance to recruit NYS - or at least more of a chance to do so.

And it will be able to tell recruits - "hey, we play in the east - your family can see you play"

So, I think it does help MD but again I have ambivalent feelings on this one - I like the idea of playing an old time rival every year.

I guess I have the same feelings about Rutgers though we do not have the same history with that school that we have with MD.

When MD comes to SU it will have a chance to recruit NYS - or at least more of a chance to do so.

And it will be able to tell recruits - "hey, we play in the east - your family can see you play"

So, I think it does help MD but again I have ambivalent feelings on this one - I like the idea of playing an old time rival every year.

I guess I have the same feelings about Rutgers though we do not have the same history with that school that we have with MD.

Maryland will be playing PSU and Rutgers every year. That will give them more of an eastern presence than playing in the Dome ever would.

maryland and rutgers are going to have 7 home games a year in the east, i think kids families will have a pretty good shot at catching them play.

Syracuse just got Fd in this whole b1g realignment. jersey and maryland (for those of you scoring at home and are a little slow...thats NYC, philly and baltimore) are gone from our schedule, putting them back on as ooc games is the smart play.

let them come to that hotbed of recruits that is cny and take whoever.

Syracuse needs to play them more than they need us.

Maryland will be playing PSU and Rutgers every year. That will give them more of an eastern presence than playing in the Dome ever would.

That is true but you're giving them a chance to play an ACC team which to me is something they chose to leave.

But, as long as Maryland agrees to the 50 million they owed and SU gets some of that and there are no ill feelings ACC wise, I can be bought and swayed to the Terp home and homes.

If that's what we sacrifice... that's a really small sacrifice.