DO: Maryland and Syracuse working on series, Terps’ coach Edsall says | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DO: Maryland and Syracuse working on series, Terps’ coach Edsall says

If this...which I hope is not the case...a 1-1-1, would it possibly because of our DC Alums? TGD knows where his bread is buttered donation wise and he isn't a fool.

Plus, we don't play VT or Virginia every year this might be a nice compromise to get SU in the area when we are not playing those two schools which will be in Virginia every 6 years per crossover? Assuming SU plays VT/V once each every 6 years and I'd assume one of those will be in the Dome that means once every 6 years we will be in Virginia and having Maryland cover that will help that gap.

Basically playing Rutgers or Maryland is a waste of time, and we shouldn't be doing either one a favor. The only Big 10 team we should have a series with is Penn St, because we have a long history with them, and a northeast school. Unlike others here I would like to play UConn, Cincinnati, and would like to see the ACC take them to close out all avenue's for the Big 10 to expand. John Swofford has been ahead of the Big 10 in expansion during this round. The ACC grabbed Syracuse, Pittsburgh, then surprised everyone by getting a 5 game deal with Notre Dame, the Big has tried to sell the Maryland, Rutgers as great adds, but they weren't. The question no-one ever asked is why 2 schools are great additions in their footprint, but are both losing money at an alarming rate? That's not just bad stewardship, but the fact that outside of fanatic fans, no-one cares about either school enough to pay to see them. A better add is Louisville who the ACC picked up, maybe not now the greatest academic school, but just as every time they joined a new league and got better, they will get better again.

i fail to see any reason for maryland to play at the ravens stadium.

Giants Stadium makes sense for Syracuse because its 4hrs away and in the heart of where they are trying to recruit.

college park is basically baltimore already, theres no advantage. its not like they cant fill the demand for tickets on campus ala rut to Giants Stadium and bc to foxboro when both had much smaller capacities.

i get what tom said about 1 unified ACC...and if thats the party line, then toe it.

but if its not, schedule maryland.

Oh Lord
Maryland likes to play games in Baltimore like we do at Metlife for their alums to be able to go into Harbor and take over Baltimore. They played Navy at the Ravens Stadium in their season opener in 2010 and they play West Virginia at the Ravens Stadium this year. Since Syracuse has a contract to play games at Metlife and Maryland likes playing Baltimore games I think a 4 games series allows each to have a game at their home stadium and then create additional games in NFL stadiums and they are easy season opening bowl type games where the crowds would be amped up. Maryland would bring a decent crowd to Metlife for the SU game and I am sure SU could get 5-10k down to Baltimore for a game along with games at the Dome and Byrd Stadium.
Also, Swofford and co. won't care about us playing Maryland. Some schools will be hurt UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech but a majority won't care.

Basically playing Rutgers or Maryland is a waste of time, and we shouldn't be doing either one a favor. The only Big 10 team we should have a series with is Penn St, because we have a long history with them, and a northeast school. Unlike others here I would like to play UConn, Cincinnati, and would like to see the ACC take them to close out all avenue's for the Big 10 to expand. John Swofford has been ahead of the Big 10 in expansion during this round. The ACC grabbed Syracuse, Pittsburgh, then surprised everyone by getting a 5 game deal with Notre Dame, the Big has tried to sell the Maryland, Rutgers as great adds, but they weren't. The question no-one ever asked is why 2 schools are great additions in their footprint, but are both losing money at an alarming rate? That's not just bad stewardship, but the fact that outside of fanatic fans, no-one cares about either school enough to pay to see them. A better add is Louisville who the ACC picked up, maybe not now the greatest academic school, but just as every time they joined a new league and got better, they will get better again.
just so im clear...Syracuse playing b1g programs in our recruiting footprint is actually helping them out, but playing aack programs like storz and cincy is not going to help them out, but help Syracuse???...

you may want to sit this one out......

If that's what we sacrifice... that's a really small sacrifice.

Maybe.

But I guess I'm not following you.

Why do you see a game or series with MD as being so important to SU?

We already play along the east coast.

maryland and rutgers are going to have 7 home games a year in the east, i think kids families will have a pretty good shot at catching them play.

Syracuse just got Fd in this whole b1g realignment. jersey and maryland (for those of you scoring at home and are a little slow...thats NYC, philly and baltimore) are gone from our schedule, putting them back on as ooc games is the smart play.

let them come to that hotbed of recruits that is cny and take whoever.

Syracuse needs to play them more than they need us.

I think you're ignoring the Penn State experience.

Not playing SU, Pitt and WVU hurt Penn State - despite the fact that the Lions played at home 6 to 7 times per year.

I believe some in the NE would like a drive-able game other than at Chestnut Hill or the Meadowlands.

Maryland likes to play games in Baltimore like we do at Metlife for their alums to be able to go into Harbor and take over Baltimore. They played Navy at the Ravens Stadium in their season opener in 2010 and they play West Virginia at the Ravens Stadium this year. Since Syracuse has a contract to play games at Metlife and Maryland likes playing Baltimore games I think a 4 games series allows each to have a game at their home stadium and then create additional games in NFL stadiums and they are easy season opening bowl type games where the crowds would be amped up. Maryland would bring a decent crowd to Metlife for the SU game and I am sure SU could get 5-10k down to Baltimore for a game along with games at the Dome and Byrd Stadium.
Also, Swofford and co. won't care about us playing Maryland. Some schools will be hurt UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech but a majority won't care.
if their alumni only see the harbor when they play ravens stadium, thats too bad. they can make the 30 min drive for the game and stay there if they want.

playing navy there makes sense.

playing wv there in a 1 off, makes sense too.

doing a 1-1-1-1 with Cuse makes zero sense for both parties.

Maybe.

But I guess I'm not following you.

Why do you see a game or series with MD as being so important to SU?

MD, VA, DC produces far more football talent than CNY. So if we play there, good for us, if they play here, not all that great for them. Good trade.

Syracuse fans have long enjoyed opportunities to see their team in the Atlantic area. Maryland/DC is now one domino to fall for football. The NYC games lock up the Big Apple and more or less New Jersey in terms of providing exposure and an experience for fans. For the good of maintaining our fanbase, we need hoops to have a similar opportunity. We have MSG locked up - hoops needs to make appearances at least every other year in Philly and Maryland/DC too. Wouldn't hurt to get involved with Barclays either. If that all happens, we can keep our fanbase and expand it thanks to the new places the ACC will take us.

if their alumni only see the harbor when they play ravens stadium, thats too bad. they can make the 30 min drive for the game and stay there if they want.

playing navy there makes sense.

playing wv there in a 1 off, makes sense too.

doing a 1-1-1-1 with Cuse makes zero sense for both parties.
The Navy game was a 1 game neutral series it wasn't a Navy home game. The West Virginia game this year is not a 1 game series either UMD played WVU played in Morgantown last year and the two teams are sprinkling games in Baltimore this year and FedEX in Washington D.C. next year into the series. Doing a 1-1-1-1 series makes a ton of sense. SU has to play games in Metlife I don't want the SUAD office selling out and doing 0-1-1 series at Metlife. Playing multiple game series at the Dome and Metlife allows SU to get a quality teams to the Dome for its fanbase and fulfill a contract they have with the Metlife people and Maryland gets a home game in Byrd and another game in Baltimore for their alum Raven owner Steve Bisciotti to cut a check to his alma mater and make money in the process. It makes sense and Maryland is a big enough name to get a decent crowd in Metlife.

I think you're ignoring the Penn State experience.

Not playing SU, Pitt and WVU hurt Penn State - despite the fact that the Lions played at home 6 to 7 times per year.
Penn State wasn't hurt by losing SU, Pitt, WVU they were hurt by joining the B1G and opening PA recruiting to Ohio State and Michigan. If Penn State wanted to keep slot on the schedule to rotate among Pitt, SU, WVU they c ould have done that and made truckloads of money Penn State didn't want those series because they wanted home games. In 1994 Penn State was undefeated and didn't need SU, WVU, Pitt on the schedule and if the BCS was around would have played for a NC. Same in 2005 if Michigan didn't get an extra play and give them their only loss.

Thinking about this more, I agree this does help Maryland, and worse, it undermines an assumed agreement by all the ACC schools Maryland is abandoning to never schedule that school again.

The prudent course of action would be to discuss this with the other ACC ADs and see what they think. If they feel strongly Syracuse should not schedule the Terps, I would fall in line with the party line. One of the big reasons the Big East failed was that every school was out for themselves. We need to start looking out for what is best for the ACC, not Syracuse.

That being said, I think it is going to be almost impossible to prevent Maryland from playing away games in the East. The ACK schools in the East (UConn and Temple) would fall over themselves to schedule the Terps, they are going to play at RU and PSU regularly and if they want, I am quite sure WVU would schedule them as well. And they could play MAC schools like UMass and UB with no problem either...

Still, assuming this is what the ACC ADs want, Maryland should be made of an example of what happens when a school abandons its history, long time and conference in a pitiful money grab.

Let their fans look wistfully at the ACC schools they loved to play, while they a fed a steady diet of RU, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue and Minnesota.

Cow_female_black_white.jpg
Syracuse people said much the same thing about BC when they left the Big East, yet we scheduled them again. Even scheduled them around Thanksgiving as a rivalry game. Controversy & hate fuel interest and attendance. If all schools spent their time trying to punish schools they perceive as enemies no one would have any one left to play. Maryland left the ACC for much the same reasons we left the Big East, $$$. Their program was so much in the hole that they became an easy target for a richer conference's overture's. I say play them and kick their butts, that will make the entire ACC brotherhood happy. I'm sure if this was a situation the ACC didn't like John Swofford would simply call TGD and say don't do it. SU is beholding to John & the ACC for helping revitalize our cash strapped program.

Penn State wasn't hurt by losing SU, Pitt, WVU they were hurt by joining the B1G and opening PA recruiting to Ohio State and Michigan. If Penn State wanted to keep slot on the schedule to rotate among Pitt, SU, WVU they c ould have done that and made truckloads of money Penn State didn't want those series because they wanted home games. In 1994 Penn State was undefeated and didn't need SU, WVU, Pitt on the schedule and if the BCS was around would have played for a NC. Same in 2005 if Michigan didn't get an extra play and give them their only loss.

From my discussions with PSU folks, many agree that losing the eastern ID hurt Penn State.

I suspect that Ohio State and Michigan were already recruiting PA by the time the Lions entered the Big Ten.

From my discussions with PSU folks, many agree that losing the eastern ID hurt Penn State.

I suspect that Ohio State and Michigan were already recruiting PA by the time the Lions entered the Big Ten.
My girlfriend is a Penn State alum and her dad is a season ticket holder who has told me he and many Penn Stater fans believe joining the B1G actually hurt Penn State's recruiting because kids that would go to Penn State were going to Michigan like Chad Henne, Ty Law, Elvis Grbac etc. or Ohio State like Terrell Pryor because Penn State joined the conference Opening WPA HSFB to the B1G has hurt Penn State a lot. The losses of SU, Pitt, WVU didn't hurt Penn State as much as joining the B1G did. Penn State could schedule BC, SU, Pitt, WVU, Maryland, Rutgers whenever they wanted to from 1990 to present, but have only sprinkled a couple 2 game series with each and when Delany added Rutgers/Maryland into the B1G it was done partially to placate Penn State's request for more Eastern games. Its a shame Joe Pa went greedy when trying to form an Eastern football league and treating everyone as equals among Penn State, Boston College, Miami, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple would have been a great 9 team Football league if Joe Pa wasn't demanding 2 for 1s.

My girlfriend is a Penn State alum and her dad is a season ticket holder who has told me he and many Penn Stater fans believe joining the B1G actually hurt Penn State's recruiting because kids that would go to Penn State were going to Michigan like Chad Henne, Ty Law, Elvis Grbac etc. or Ohio State like Terrell Pryor because Penn State joined the conference Opening WPA HSFB to the B1G has hurt Penn State a lot. The losses of SU, Pitt, WVU didn't hurt Penn State as much as joining the B1G did. Penn State could schedule BC, SU, Pitt, WVU, Maryland, Rutgers whenever they wanted to from 1990 to present, but have only sprinkled a couple 2 game series with each and when Delany added Rutgers/Maryland into the B1G it was done partially to placate Penn State's request for more Eastern games. Its a shame Joe Pa went greedy when trying to form an Eastern football league and treating everyone as equals among Penn State, Boston College, Miami, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple would have been a great 9 team Football league if Joe Pa wasn't demanding 2 for 1s.

By losing its ID as an eastern school perhaps PSU lost something unique and appealing to the players you mention? By going BIG PSU was now no different than OSU or Michigan in terms of ID?

I don't know.

Like I said, I want to play MD because it's a long time rival - we played the Terps in 1959 - but I also don't want to help them either.

So, again, I am ambivalent.

This is a better game for us than for MD. WE recruit in MD for all sports, they don't recruit in CNY for anything. We have alumni and CNY transplants all in the Mid-Atlantic, unless there is something I don't know about Maryland doesn't have that upstate. It's still a long drive from NYC to SYR, so it's not like any of those people are getting a break by playing us.

Win for SU.

Well, yes and no.

If MD is not afforded a chance to play in Syracuse, but is forced to play at Illinois State - it's not playing in the East - it has less of a presence in our recruiting areas.

MD wants to play SU in order preserve its eastern identity.

Although I like the idea of playing an old rival, I don't really want to help MD.

I simply and fundamentally disagree.

The state of Maryland is IN the east. Every season they play all their home games in the east. If a kid wants to go to Maryland and lives anywhere from New England to the Carolinas then his friends and family can easily drive to College Park 6 times each fall. Not to mention the conference road games they will be playing annually in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, which for many of their recruits will be much closer than most of the road games they were playing in their old conference. You know the one, where Maryland was the northernmost member of a southern league.

I mean, it's geography.

We're not "helping" Maryland. They don't need to showcase themselves in the east because they are IN the east.

Seriously, this is crazy talk.

Ambivalent.

Old time rival.

Easy road trip.

But don't want MD to play in the east.

Go play ND State or Illinois State.

In general, I'm all for trying to keep a team out their home region if their conference mostly resides elsewhere. Which is why I wouldn't play WVU. Let them stay affiliated with the midwest as much as possible, I think it only benefits us.

But with Maryland, they now have Rutgers and Penn State in their little mini eastern part of the B1G. So that league has an eastern presence that we can't ignore and isn't going away. If it benefits us more to get a game in Maryland, than it benefits then to get a game in NYS, then I think we should do it. It's the perfect type of BCS level team to schedule. No major road trip, beatable every year. We don't have a lot of them around.

I'd do it. Maybe start with a short term series, 2 or 4 games, then re-evaluate.

I'm a little surprised they'd want the series to be honest. What do they get out of playing in upstate NY?

Just my two cents: Maryland is not playing Syracuse in the Meadowlands. The Meadowlands or MetLife Stadium has agreed to bring in high profile teams. Maryland does.not qualify.

Just my two cents: Maryland is not playing Syracuse in the Meadowlands. The Meadowlands or MetLife Stadium has agreed to bring in high profile teams. Maryland does.not qualify.
I can see Maryland not as a high profile team but the Metlife people aren't going to do anything to help Syracuse bring in high profile teams. Syracuse has a contract with the Metlife Stadium people, but high profile teams aren't going to play Syracuse in Metlife without Syracuse agreeing independently of the Metlife people to play a road game at the high profile team's stadium. Metlife isn't going to pay Syracuse for these game in Metlife and then cut checks to high profile teams to play in Metlife or then they could just schedule any two high profile teams like the Cowboys Stadium and Georgia Dome operators do for season opening bowl type games.

I can see Maryland not as a high profile team but the Metlife people aren't going to do anything to help Syracuse bring in high profile teams. Syracuse has a contract with the Metlife Stadium people, but high profile teams aren't going to play Syracuse in Metlife without Syracuse agreeing independently of the Metlife people to play a road game at the high profile team's stadium. Metlife isn't going to pay Syracuse for these game in Metlife and then cut checks to high profile teams to play in Metlife or then they coul just schedule any two high profile teams like the Cowboys Stadium and Georgia Dome operators do for season opening bowl type games.

I respectfully disagree. MetLife made the agreement to provide high profile opponents. Many schools wil gladly accept a large payout for a neutral site game. MetLife is on the grandest stage in the number one market wher most colleges have numerous grads. Michigan, tOSU, PSU are obvious targets. USC was willing to play there (recall that game was scheduled for theDome before moving). MetLife will pay big dollars to ensure success. Using a Maryland would defeat their purpose.

I respectfully disagree. MetLife made the agreement to provide high profile opponents. Many schools wil gladly accept a large payout for a neutral site game. MetLife is on the grandest stage in the number one market wher most colleges have numerous grads. Michigan, tOSU, PSU are obvious targets. USC was willing to play there (recall that game was scheduled for theDome before moving). MetLife will pay big dollars to ensure success. Using a Maryland would defeat their purpose.
I hope your right but with all the evidence I see, it points to the fact the games at Metlife are SU's responsibility to schedule. If Metlife is helping that would be great. This Penn State game this year is NOT part of our SU's contract with Metlife. The only games scheduled part of that contract so far are the 2014 and 2016 Notre Dame games and those games were scheduled with Notre Dame as part of a South Bend/Metlife series luckily because of ND' s ACC move we don't have to go South Bend in 2015 and 2017 but Syracuse paid the price of losing ND coming to the Carrier Dome till 2020. I hope your right and SU plays teams at Metlife without having to go on the road, but I just don't see it happening. Playing Maryland Carrier Dome/Byrd Stadium/Metlife/Ravens Stadium would be a good alternative for me if SU is having to schedule games at Metlife to fulfill the contract we signed with them because while Maryland isn't Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame or teams that will the stadium up they are close enough to Metlife that we should be able to get a crowd that exceeds the 41k there for the USC game last year.

I cannot research what MetLife agreed to pay Syracuse but if Michigan and Alabama go play in Jerry's World, I am sure they would fly to NYC, too.