Do Wildhack and JB have a heart-to-heart in the morning? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do Wildhack and JB have a heart-to-heart in the morning?

If the inevitable change of coaches is starting to really have an effect on our recruiting, then I say we have to make a move. I don't even think JB would have a problem with that. He loves this program too much to let himself get in the way. As far as the current team, I still give him props for bringing in the 5th year seniors and making the best out of the situation we have. I am more worried on the effect of the program going forward. We may need a more definite direction or a very definite announcement as to when JB leaves as it has gotten all muddy lately. If Hopkins is going to take over, than Hopkins should be in charge of recruiting for the coming years. He picks who we go after, he visits the players. If he plans to change the style of play, he should bring in the players that he sees fit for his style.

My buddy got an early offer because of his relationship wth the Islanders. I don't think my numbers are right, but it was 70 or 80k for the whole tournament.

How many does the suite hold?

Well, like it or not, but JB has earned the right to make the decision, with perhaps a little coaxing
Yes he has. Hopefully he saw what staying too long did to Dean smith, Bobby bowden and others.

I don't gonna think Syverud or Wildhack are going to nudge JB out the door. I do think they will stand firm with the publicly stated plan that Hop takes over after next year. If JB steps down any earlier it'll be his own decision, but I doubt that happens.

FWIW, I think Hop will bring a significantly different defensive approach to the program. Mostly man, with zone used as an occassionsl weapon, and more on the ball pressure.

A recruiting pholosophy emphasizing speed and transition offense over length for the zone.

I don't gonna think Syverud or Wildhack are going to nudge JB out the door. I do think they will stand firm with the publicly stated plan that Hop takes over after next year. If JB steps down any earlier it'll be his own decision, but I doubt that happens.

FWIW, I think Hop will bring a significantly different defensive approach to the program. Mostly man, with zone used as an occassionsl weapon, and more on the ball pressure.

A recruiting pholosophy emphasizing speed and transition offense over length for the zone.

Finally a voice of reason.

My buddy got an early offer because of his relationship wth the Islanders. I don't think my numbers are right, but it was 70 or 80k for the whole tournament.

Got it, thanks. The 70K makes much more sense

closing in on age 50 with no head coaching experience at any level. it's anybody's guess what his approach will be. there's no clues whatsoever.

Some people have a little more insight than others. Just sayin...

you have us going 24-7 this year and winning the ACCT . just saying'...

Well the recruiting damage for next year is done already. I think the powers that be need to publicly reaffirm that next year is JB'w last. Hopkins needs to be the recruiting for 2018 with the guys he wants for style he is going to play.

Next year is going to be as bad as this if we can't find two guards who can play so maybe it's not a bad thing for Hopkins to wait a year.

I'm indifferent. I'm ok with Hop getting his audition. But this is a big bet that Hop can teach man even though he's spent forever and a day on a staff where man is an afterthought.

Boeheim, for good or bad, has a successful blueprint. You give the job to Hopkins to carry that on. If you're going a different way, then you need to really go a different way

Last edited:
well we do have 1 clue. the ONLY system we know that mike hopkins has ever actually played in or apprenticed in his career is JB's system.
so if you imagine he has some other grand designs or schemes bear in mind that they exist only as abstract concepts in his brain alone.
never once been tried , tested, developed or refined in an actual game on a real court. and that my friend gives me little hope they actually work.
having a bit of faith is a wonderful thing. but it's nothing i'd invest our future in.

Im not saying JB is faultless by any means, but when a team can't make simple inbounds passed, make FTs, or has stone hands; at this level that has little to do with coaching.

This team should have been able to beat St Johns with ME coaching them.

A lot of us missed on team performance this year. How that has relevance to what I know about Hop's coaching philosophy is something only your mind can't figure out. But keep on keeping on.
May I ask what gives you comfort that Hop is going to be what we need? There must be something you can share that will help us

Im not saying JB is faultless by any means, but when a team can't make simple inbounds passed, make FTs, or has stone hands; at this level that has little to do with coaching.

This team should have been able to beat St Johns with ME coaching them.
Who recruited them? Who makes them better in practice? Who holds them accountable? Who consoles them and energizes them when needed?

If my people do not perform at work, they look to me to help them get better. If they do not then I selected the wrong person or the issue is my inability to make someone better.

This is 100% on the staff and is why so many are concerned for the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom