Do Wildhack and JB have a heart-to-heart in the morning? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Do Wildhack and JB have a heart-to-heart in the morning?

well we do have 1 clue. the ONLY system we know that mike hopkins has ever actually played in or apprenticed in his career is JB's system.
so if you imagine he has some other grand designs or schemes bear in mind that they exist only as abstract concepts in his brain alone.
never once been tried , tested, developed or refined in an actual game on a real court. and that my friend gives me little hope they actually work.
having a bit of faith is a wonderful thing. but it's nothing i'd invest our future in.

I wasn't aware that Hopkins was just there as a cheerleader for USA Basketball under Coach K's system, largely.

well we do have 1 clue. the ONLY system we know that mike hopkins has ever actually played in or apprenticed in his career is JB's system.
so if you imagine he has some other grand designs or schemes bear in mind that they exist only as abstract concepts in his brain alone.
never once been tried , tested, developed or refined in an actual game on a real court. and that my friend gives me little hope they actually work.
having a bit of faith is a wonderful thing. but it's nothing i'd invest our future in.

Hopkins played guard at Cuse and is 6'5". He has never played forward/center or been 6'10" so he obviously would have no clue how to coach forwards or centers. It's a sound logic. :confused:

I don't gonna think Syverud or Wildhack are going to nudge JB out the door. I do think they will stand firm with the publicly stated plan that Hop takes over after next year. If JB steps down any earlier it'll be his own decision, but I doubt that happens.

FWIW, I think Hop will bring a significantly different defensive approach to the program. Mostly man, with zone used as an occassionsl weapon, and more on the ball pressure.

A recruiting pholosophy emphasizing speed and transition offense over length for the zone.

JB has the job as long as he wants it. Neither Syverud or Wildhack will take him on. He's an Icon and has nothing to lose in a confrontation of any sort. They might, if they had a clue on what to do next, other than allow Hop to slide in there. T hey both have other fish to fry like finding the funding on the "planned" campus facilities and

As for Hop's strategy, the fan favorite you "think" will happen, is low probability. Hop played and coached for decades in the current system. It's what he knows. There isn't going to be a revolution.

Mike did multiple tours of duty with Coach K, so there is that.

JB has the job as long as he wants it. Neither Syverud or Wildhack will take him on.

So if JB decides he wants to stay longer than the previously announced timeframe, you think that flies with everyone?

So if JB decides he wants to stay longer than the previously announced timeframe, you think that flies with everyone?

Not when attendance is sliced in half.

The longer he stays the more opponents will use his lame duck status as a recruiting advantage.

This team appeared to set up nicely for one last hurrah.

Not to be.

I don't gonna think Syverud or Wildhack are going to nudge JB out the door. I do think they will stand firm with the publicly stated plan that Hop takes over after next year. If JB steps down any earlier it'll be his own decision, but I doubt that happens.

FWIW, I think Hop will bring a significantly different defensive approach to the program. Mostly man, with zone used as an occassionsl weapon, and more on the ball pressure.

A recruiting pholosophy emphasizing speed and transition offense over length for the zone.

Those would all be welcome changes.

Agreed. I don't understand why people think that Hopkins will just do everything Boeheim does. Every assistant coach I've ever met talks about when I have my own program this is what I would do. It is never that exact thing that is happening at their current school. In the real world it never works this way. People retire, they are replaced by long tenured employees half the time and those people do things a little differently. Not everyone has the same management style.

It may not fly with everyone. Only the people that count.

Neither Syverud or Wildhack has a Plan B. Wildhack's a TV guy, not a seasoned administrator willing to get into a high profiles battle with the most successful SU coach ever and the veritable face of the University to many.

JB leaves when he feels like it.

I love JB and I've been a fan of our zone, but I'm ready for a change from the all-zone D approach. If Hop really does take the program in a different direction recruiting-wise though, I hope people will give him a little time before they start calling for his head. Seems like there's a lot of people that think Hop has at least one strike against him already--whether it's because of the mediocre results during his turn at the wheel last year when JB was suspended, or just because of his ties to JB and the fact that he's JB's hand-picked successor. In my book, Hop deserves a chance to lead without all these pre-judgements.

[QUOTE="I hope people will give him a little time before they start calling for his head. .
I hate to be the one to tell you this but people are calling for his head right now and he doesn't even have the job yet.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why you hate to be the one to tell me something that I alluded to in my own post ;)

I love JB and I've been a fan of our zone, but I'm ready for a change from the all-zone D approach. If Hop really does take the program in a different direction recruiting-wise though, I hope people will give him a little time before they start calling for his head. Seems like there's a lot of people that think Hop has at least one strike against him already--whether it's because of the mediocre results during his turn at the wheel last year when JB was suspended, or just because of his ties to JB and the fact that he's JB's hand-picked successor. In my book, Hop deserves a chance to lead without all these pre-judgements.

Don't know if it will work out this way, but the roster JB is going to leave Hop with should get him another guaranteed year. Not fair to expect much with the roster it is beginning to appear we will have.

Don't know if it will work out this way, but the roster JB is going to leave Hop with should get him another guaranteed year. Not fair to expect much with the roster it is beginning to appear we will have.

Agreed. I don't envy Hop's situation, and frankly I'm not sure he's going to be able to succeed here. With the kind of team he'll inherit, the recent downward trend in our recruiting (which could have a self-perpetuating effect he'll have to figure out how to break out of), and the urgency I'm sure a lot of people of SU must be feeling to end the the generally mediocre play on the court the last few years...it's going to be an uphill battle for him, to say the least.

All I can say is that I think he deserves the chance to try and right the ship and hopefully he'll be given enough leash to show what he can do. I think better recruiting is probably most important in terms of buying himself time. Getting the players to play his style may take a little while, but if he can start bringing in some bigger recruits, I would think he'd get more buy-in from everyone.

I can't help but think that having a history of being one of the top two programs in the country in attendance year in and year out for forever has to count for something when it comes to having a decent recruiting chip.

JB's impending retirement and the ncaa mess have hurt us recently, but we have a great BB brand and incredible fan support. Hop has been considered one of the better recruiters in the past. The future may not looks super great at the moment, but we do have some things potentially going for us.

I can't help but think that having a history of being one of the top two programs in the country in attendance year in and year out for forever has to count for something when it comes to having a decent recruiting chip.

I think we think it does but at the end of the day I really don't think it matters to the kids that want to play college ball.

And that's what many of us are pinning our hopes on, but turning those ideas into reality is much less certain. We know he's a good recruiter who will probably expand our reach, but beyond that it's all a huge ???

i don't know how much jay wright makes but we should offer 1.5mil more to get him.

i don't know how much jay wright makes but we should offer 1.5mil more to get him.

How about a blank check? We have 2 million - he can have whatever he wants and the rest goes to 5-star recruits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom