Do Wildhack and JB have a heart-to-heart in the morning? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Do Wildhack and JB have a heart-to-heart in the morning?

i don't know how much jay wright makes but we should offer 1.5mil more to get him.

Jay Wright isn't coming to Syracuse.

Before the National Championship he was making $2.4 million (per 2013 - Form 990) and was the third highest paid private school coach in the country behind only K and JT III. According to Syracuse's 2013 Form 990 James Arthur was making $2.0 million at that same point in time. Villanova is located in a major market which should mean plenty of opportunity for additional income, should he desire it. An opportunity that really doesn't exist in Syracuse. From an earnings standpoint I don't see how Syracuse could "wow" or lure him away from a place where he seems to be pretty content.

Add to that that Jay Wright is a "Philadelphia" guy. He was born and raised in the Philadelphia suburbs. He has also made himself a Villanova guy through his long time association with the program and Rollie. He doesn't appear to be a wanderlust or hired gun type. He has absolutely no association with Syracuse that might help us to bring him in.

What exactly do you think Syracuse could offer him that might get him to walk away from Nova for Syracuse?

Before the National Championship he was making $2.4 million (per 2013 - Form 990) and was the third highest paid private school coach in the country behind only K and JT III. According to Syracuse's 2013 Form 990 James Arthur was making $2.0 million at that same point in time. Villanova is located in a major market which should mean plenty of opportunity for additional income, should he desire it. An opportunity that really doesn't exist in Syracuse. From an earnings standpoint I don't see how Syracuse could "wow" or lure him away from a place where he seems to be pretty content.

Add to that that Jay Wright is a "Philadelphia" guy. He was born and raised in the Philadelphia suburbs. He has also made himself a Villanova guy through his long time association with the program and Rollie. He doesn't appear to be a wanderlust or hired gun type. He has absolutely no association with Syracuse that might help us to bring him in.

What exactly do you think Syracuse could offer him that might get him to walk away from Nova for Syracuse?

Some have an over-inflated sense of the attractiveness of the SU job. They figure SU can buy anyone it wants.

As you point out, Wright is in a fantastic location and has the ball rolling at Nova.

Other coaches might figure that SU's success has been all about Boeheim and that anyone else would have great difficulty replicating it.

The same people who want JB gone would have wanted Wright gone as well before he won the Natty last year.

He's earned the right to be allowed to exit gracefully. He lost the right to pick his successor.

Agree with this. I said it in another thread: this program is too valuable (and now too vulnerable) to have it potentially flounder for 4-5 years under a coach on cruise control and a neophyte successor. Bring in someone proven who can rebuild and win. I think the Jay Wright ship has sailed. If Boeheim retired a couple of years ago, it would have been a natural. Now you take a mid-major builder or an NBA bounceback.

if JB truly handpicked hopkins to succeed him then by now he should have already been handing over some rein to help smooth the transition.
and yet i don't see any the supposed hopkins "new age" thumbprints on this team. and if they are detectable under some blue light...they suck.

This. Cuse is not a better job than nova right now. Not close sadly. Obviously he would be a much much better option as a coach than Hop, but that's a I've dream. Anyone who thinks Hop is the guy is just blindly putting on their Homer glasses. It's fine, but it will be laughable if we hand the reigns of top20 program to a first time coach.

you have us going 24-7 this year and winning the ACCT . just saying'...
I take it you had this team dropping five games in the non-conference and getting blown out at home by SJU.

Agree with this. I said it in another thread: this program is too valuable (and now too vulnerable) to have it potentially flounder for 4-5 years under a coach on cruise control and a neophyte successor. Bring in someone proven who can rebuild and win. I think the Jay Wright ship has sailed. If Boeheim retired a couple of years ago, it would have been a natural. Now you take a mid-major builder or an NBA bounceback.
Scott Cross from UTA should be at the top of our list

This. Cuse is not a better job than nova right now. Not close sadly. Obviously he would be a much much better option as a coach than Hop, but that's a I've dream. Anyone who thinks Hop is the guy is just blindly putting on their Homer glasses. It's fine, but it will be laughable if we hand the reigns of top20 program to a first time coach.

Of course this is wrong, very wrong. Just attendance, how many people can Nova host? And how about league? Is the Big East "all that"? The ACC is a much better league, and the Dome still holds 30,000. NO question which is the better job.

It may not fly with everyone. Only the people that count.

Neither Syverud or Wildhack has a Plan B. Wildhack's a TV guy, not a seasoned administrator willing to get into a high profiles battle with the most successful SU coach ever and the veritable face of the University to many.

JB leaves when he feels like it.

Um, no. Syverud and Wildhack are not Cantor and Gross.

They dictate terms to JB, not the other way around.

Those are not "Decent" programs. Those are elite programs How many "decent" programs have lost a great freshman four out of the last five years.

Of course this is wrong, very wrong. Just attendance, how many people can Nova host? And how about league? Is the Big East "all that"? The ACC is a much better league, and the Dome still holds 30,000. NO question which is the better job.

Of course when Ithaca Matt sets the criteria and judges against them, it's pretty easy.

Let's say that total attendance and conference affiliation are not the only things one would consider. How about proximity to talent? Should that be a criterion? How about recent track record? Should that count? What about achievability of the task?

It's a plum job, no doubt. But maybe not as good as Ithaca Matt thinks it is.

Why would Saint Jay ever leave Vanillanova? He is set up to win the BE and a one or two NCAA seed for the rest of his life. In fact, if he doesn't, Jackson should fire him.

Yes he has. Hopefully he saw what staying too long did to Dean smith, Bobby bowden and others.

Dean Smith's final UNC team made the Final Four. So did the one the year after he left. The problem was they promoted career assistant Guthridge and UNC cratered after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom