Do You Think They Pay Attention | Syracusefan.com

Do You Think They Pay Attention

Longtimesu

Scout Team
With all of the negative media against SU. Do you think the players read what is being said? I know Boeheim plays it down.

If I were the coach, I would plaster the locker room with every negative article I could find.

The problem with that is that you risk it becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. It may work for some kids, but others it doesn't. I don't have experience coaching at D1 levels, but in the coaching I have done you generally are more effective building players up and identifying singular players who respond to negativity and working that angle in 1-on-1 situations.

The internet is a thing so, yes, at least a few of them probably take a look at what's being said about the team.

The internet is a thing so, yes, at least a few of them probably take a look at what's being said about the team.

I don't know if maybe I'm reading too much into to it, but, Cooney - during every press conference this tournament - looks like he's angry. I hope he's playing with a chip on his shoulder anyway.

I don't know if maybe I'm reading too much into to it, but, Cooney - during every press conference this tournament - looks like he's angry. I hope he's playing with a chip on his shoulder anyway.

I hope he reads this board haha and uses it as motivation, then posts a pic of his middle finger here after the season.

I thought to myself during the MTU post game presser - he looked like we had lost.

With all of the negative media against SU. Do you think the players read what is being said? I know Boeheim plays it down.

If I were the coach, I would plaster the locker room with every negative article I could find.

After the MTSU game, the interviewed G and asked, "There were a lot people thought Syracuse should not be in the tournament how do you respond to them now?" G replied, "Thanks for the motivation." I don't know if I have the question exactly right but G's answer was awesome!

I think the players know what's going on in the media and are probably in a heightened state of motivation.

Last edited:
I've often wondered that myself, I am speaking more generally, obviously. I suspect most coaches beg their players to never read fan boards, try not to listen to pundits, stay away from all that stuff. I am relatively sure that the temptation often gets to the kids despite the warning. I appreciate this thread, b/c I don't know - possibly someone does.

Certainly this year our team had plenty of pressure through the media and fans for losing games in which they had big leads, not stacking up to teams past. That can be motivating, but as said above, it can plant doubt. I am guessing most coaches at this level don't post that and go our of their way to keep kids away from it. Our board - and it seems your board, too - never gets personal with college athletes. It's one thing to comment on grown men who get paid to put themselves our there, quite different and unfair to do so for a young student, not paid, representing their school.

I know that if I were a coach I'd never post it or use it. I'd rather address any issues coach to player.

Thoughts?

I've often wondered that myself, I am speaking more generally, obviously. I suspect most coaches beg their players to never read fan boards, try not to listen to pundits, stay away from all that stuff. I am relatively sure that the temptation often gets to the kids despite the warning. I appreciate this thread, b/c I don't know - possibly someone does.

Certainly this year our team had plenty of pressure through the media and fans for losing games in which they had big leads, not stacking up to teams past. That can be motivating, but as said above, it can plant doubt. I am guessing most coaches at this level don't post that and go our of their way to keep kids away from it. Our board - and it seems your board, too - never gets personal with college athletes. It's one thing to comment on grown men who get paid to put themselves our there, quite different and unfair to do so for a young student, not paid, representing their school.

I know that if I were a coach I'd never post it or use it. I'd rather address any issues coach to player.

Thoughts?

I guess I'm in the minority then. As I stated in my opening. I would plaster the locker room with every negative I could find.

I boxed when I was younger. I remember a few times being told that a certain kid from another gym was gonna kick my butt. Their were constant negatives thrown my way. Because I was skinny, I was definitely the underdog in most matches. But that extra incentive to fight harder, and smarter, propelled me to defeat those braggarts.

Sure bb is not boxing, but the idea of motivation is the same.

I feel like Trev has been reading this board since he was a redshirt freshman and his inability to become "G-Mac 2.0" stems directly from his internet research and extreme pressure from fans to live up to those expectations.

Of course they do, they are all on twitter, and I'm sure their friends and family are all texting them the negative things people are saying about them.

I never thought they did until I watched G in that last presser and noticed he had a "Free CuseHulk" tattoo.

Did he really? That's awesome if that's true. Do you have pic or link? I want to see that.

i hope they pay attention and i assume they do. we better beat gonzaga so bad tomorrow night that gonzaga shuts down the basketball program

Gottlieb's head is about to explode!

I guess I'm in the minority then. As I stated in my opening. I would plaster the locker room with every negative I could find.

I boxed when I was younger. I remember a few times being told that a certain kid from another gym was gonna kick my butt. Their were constant negatives thrown my way. Because I was skinny, I was definitely the underdog in most matches. But that extra incentive to fight harder, and smarter, propelled me to defeat those braggarts.

Sure bb is not boxing, but the idea of motivation is the same.
We are playing in the sweet 16. You really think they need motivation from outsiders?

From my limited understanding, two things are true:
All coaches and players say they don't pay attention to this stuff or read about themselves in the papers
All of them are lying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom