Does a high powered offense win out? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does a high powered offense win out?

Define "plenty" and give a few highlights about what he says about D. I have heard him speak -- 40 minutes on offense, maybe 10 minutes (maybe) about D. He has a fascination with a fast-paced passing attack. Very little about blocking or a running attack. Very few comments about the D. Good thing Brian Ward went out and recruited juco and grad transfer help for the D.

I think I've seen every press conference he's ever given here and watched a few from Bowling Green too.

Offense is his thing, of course. That's a good thing. But the guy was a D1 LB.

I don't have time to find specific times, but I'd guess if you found articles at syr.com about defense you'd find quotes.

(And he wants to run. It's priority number 1)

Given a high powered offense versus a high powered defense that we saw in the game last night, it reminded me to a lessor extend how we have bounced back and forth for the last 15 years since Coach P. Grob=D, DM=O, SS=D and now DFB=O.

Obviously you need both to a certain extent to make the playoffs but throughout those years I remember hearing myself saying different things like under DM, "Ryan's got this (especially the Missouri game)" to SS years, "punt because the D can stop them".

Given the game last night against that Bama D (so few teams can field a D like that), my gut tells me you need a high powered O favored over a high powered D like Bama to be in the game and win (Clemson really should have won last year too).

I was never confident that Bama's O could score even though they did as it was more about "game management". But everyone was confident that their D could stop Clemson. However, when Clemson had the ball I was confident in their O to score.

So the long short of it, I prefer DFB's offense more as defensive minded teams (along with our previous D HCs) will cause them to get tired and we will have better chances to win than we have a D minded coach that runs a weak O. Obviously our D needs to improve but they can only get better from here on out.

Anyway, that was an amazing game last night seeing the different styles in place on such a high level! Nuff said - really looking forward to next season to start! Until then, Go Cuse!
You want what nobody else has. When everybody around you is emphasizing offense, you want to emphasize defense. When everybody is passing, you want to run.

(The other way around is obviously also true - if everybody is running, you want to pass)

All factors being equal, is pick O because it sells more tickets and gets on TV more. That helps finance the program and attract recruits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom