Does any1 think Cooney is going to be redshirted? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does any1 think Cooney is going to be redshirted?

I thought Cooney looked pretty strong too. He isn't quite Jimmer's thick build, but he looked in great shape.

Does anyone even know if Cooney would be amenable to taking a redshirt? Presumably yes, but I don't think you would redshirt him if he doesn't want to be redshirted.

I am sure the coaches have talked to him about it.

I thought Cooney looked pretty strong too. He isn't quite Jimmer's thick build, but he looked in great shape.

During much of warm-ups he had on a sleeveless t-shirt. The kid is jacked.

Absolutely correct, JB rarely redshirts non-injured players, but I would argue that this year’s depth could change that equation.

I keep hearing the “he’ll be the shooter off the bench” argument. Do we ever do that? I think every preseason for the last 3 years people have been saying that Mookie or Southerland or whoever would have the coveted role of “the shooter off the bench”, and then the season comes and they’re generally sitting there in warm up gear, while non-shooters like Kris(2 years ago) and CJ(last year) come in, even in games when the team could use a spark. The bench this year is going to be CJ, Keita, Waiters, then maybe one of MCW or Southerland. I really don’t see where these minutes are coming from for Cooney. Again, in a best case scenario for him, he’s the 5th guard off the bench, which means he isn’t going to play outside of blowouts. Not knocking the kids game, he’s just on a team with a ton of talent 1-10.

People are also basing the decision solely on offense(i.e., 2-3 jump shots). We didn’t really play zone last night, so we have no idea what kind of defender he is. That’s a huge part of the eventual answer. Time will tell, I suppose.
Can't argue with anything you say. But, in regards to the "shooter off the bench"...I believe the non-use of that role has been due to the other limitations those players bring to the game rather than the lack of need for that role to be filled. I think Cooney may also be able to put it on the floor or pickup the stray loose ball and score from 8-15 also. Can anyone honestly say they can't envision a night where Scoop, Triche, Dion and Kris are all throwing bricks from 3? Honestly? They can all hit the shot but they can all go brick city at times also. In those instances Cooney may be the better option than MCW to give the team a needed lift for a few minutes. No doubt he's the 5th guard, but he has a skillset that the other 4 don't. I'm just saying, he could come in handy. I'm not worried about 5 years from now. Let's win now and I think he can help the team do that, now.

I agree... Southerland is not gonna play much this year. He did not look good out there last night. I think next year we will definitely need him. Why not allow him to simply pack on muscle this year. I would red-shirt both him and Cooney, but I know that ultimately won't happen.

Technically, only true freshman are allowed to redshirt after playing in an exhibition game. Though Abromaitis got away with it w/ a 4 game penalty. The fact that the kid is on his second graduate degree also probably swayed the NCAA. Otherwise, its playing with fire for Southerland.

I dont get James at all from a bball perspective. Just seems like an incredible athlete with talent that really just likes to have fun and goof around and not take anything too seriously.

Dirty Southerland should be redshirted as well.

That way if it doesn't work out for him after his Redshirt Junior season (2012-13) he can transfer without having to sit out a year.

That would be best for everyone involved.

Is that how it works? I think it's the opposite, if you redshirt and transfer, you're screwed. When you transfer, you need to sit out a year. Usually, if you haven't redshirted, you can transfer, and redshirt the year you sit out and not lose a year of eligibility. If you already burned your redshirt, then you just lose the year.

Is that how it works? I think it's the opposite, if you redshirt and transfer, you're screwed. When you transfer, you need to sit out a year. Usually, if you haven't redshirted, you can transfer, and redshirt the year you sit out and not lose a year of eligibility. If you already burned your redshirt, then you just lose the year.
I thought NCAA allowed for 5th year immediately upon transfer if the school you are at does not offer the study program you want for grad year? I.e. the Russell Wilson rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom