Does anyone else think we will be better next year? | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone else think we will be better next year?

ethoo18

Walk On
Super young team, but I have a feeling we could definitely compete in the top 4 of the ACC. We will play much faster I imagine with Goodine and Carey. Guerrier looks to be a beast, Ajak can shoot the three, and obviously Girard does what he does. If Oshae, Marek, HW stay I feel like we could be much better next year than this year. The trip to Italy is very good for the young team also

Super young team, but I have a feeling we could definitely compete in the top 4 of the ACC. We will play much faster I imagine with Goodine and Carey. Guerrier looks to be a beast, Ajak can shoot the three, and obviously Girard does what he does. If Oshae, Marek, HW stay I feel like we could be much better next year than this year. The trip to Italy is very good for the young team also

No clue. It's possible. Battle is a huge loss. Need a lot of people to step into roles they aren't in right now. Haven't had this many unknowns going into a season since... what, three years ago?

There’s talent but we need a good offseason of player development

Whose are team leader next year? Marek? Don't know if he's up to handling that...

You are betting everything on a young team? Guys who have never played the zone?
We don't even know how well they are capable of playing at the college level. Or as a team.
I would hope everyone learned a lesson with the early promotion of Carey this year.

Hmm.

I was of the opinion SU'd be better this year by far, but that didn't
go so well.

Losing a 4yr PG who's drawn the ire of coaches/fans his entire time
here and didn't exactly have a stellar senior year due to factors
outside his control, and that has really sucked. Losing a 3yr 7'2"
C who's also drawn the ire of all concerned, and outside of a few games,
hasn't really made the impact we expected from a 7'2" guy. BTW, are
they sure he can't get a 6th year, or is this like JB announcing Harris
and Devo are leaving before they'd even decided? At least ask the NCAA
before booting him out. Yeah, he's not dominated, but he is 7'2", and
that helps.

Also losing the best scorer on the team, a player with sack, to take (and
make) a whole lot of big shots. And someone whose back has to hurt
from carrying the team too often.

For laughs, we can return to this post-NCAA tourney, and the posts
will probably be "what a moron you are for thinking they'd not do
better than last year".

So you're banking on a really young team, whose players I can't believe
are going to struggle as much as they did this year, because hopefully,
they won't get hurt and can demonstrate some explosiveness. And SPEED.
And something other than, "dribble near, dribble far, Tyus, go take
care of it." I think the potential is certainly there to be better,
and, if the bar is "fewer than 13 losses", that's doable. But it's
going to come down to coaching, and right now, I'd rather it not come
down to that honestly. Same stuff will see same results. Fresh
thinking will lead to better results.

Kev

I’d say losing Tyus is going to hurt a ton, as he is and would be on next years team if he was here, the best player by far. I like that we are adding people that can shoot. Overall, our performance will come down to the PG position. If someone steps up and owns that spot, then I think we could be better. If not we’ll be in the same spot, with shooters, but no one to get them open looks.

My guess is Hughes or Brissett (if he stays) will have to take on the role of being go to scorers. The good news is both guys have a absolutely proven they can carry the team for multiple games at a time... in fact for a stretch of games Hughes was the best player on the team. The bad news is both pulled major disappearing acts in the heart of ACC play as well. Whether we are better or worse really depends on what version of those two guys show up. Overall we will have better offensive skills and worse lockdown D skills. But I am not sure we have someone who can create opportunities for the team to show off their better offensive skills. There is no creator on the roster next year other than a totally unproven Washington... that scares me.

A lot of open questions for next year... I think it be fun and without Frank I think we play at a must faster tempo... we almost have to in order to compen

Same thing was said for this year, all the way into September

Honestly, it really depends on the development of Jalen Carey and OB, along with all of the freshman being game ready. Really need Quincy to surprise and be a star. I’m secretly hoping JG3 has a GMac-like freshman season.

We really need to find a grad transfer Center or PF though.

Honestly, it really depends on the development of Jalen Carey and OB, along with all of the freshman being game ready. Really need Quincy to surprise and be a star. I’m secretly hoping JG3 has a GMac-like freshman season.

We really need to find a grad transfer Center or PF though.
My sentiments exactly. If we can get improvement in whoever the PG will be and whoever the C will be, then I think the youngsters should fit in fine. I certainly don't see shooting as a concern for next year. Of course, we all know how our projections for 2018/19 were at the start of the season :confused:

I predict next year will be our toughest in a while. Hope I am wrong. We just don't have a "glue" player. Dislike Tyus all you want but he is the go to guy on the team. Who is that next year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom