Does anyone think things are going in the right direction? | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone think things are going in the right direction?

Orangetradition44

2nd String
It seems we regressed and to make matters worse, Marrone seems to have lost the team. As I mentioned in a thread a month or so ago, I think recruiting is ultimately what does Marrone in.

Can anyone layout a plausible happy outcome of Marrone's tenure? Because to me, next year looks like more of the same.

Doesn't look so good right now, I agree. I just hope one day we'll look back and think remember that terrible losing streak and questioned if this was going to get better? What idiots we were.

One day..please.

Things are better than they were during the worst 4 years in modern SU football history.

Aside from that... meh.

1-10
4-8
2-10
3-9.

We're headed in the right direction. Obviously we're not going to get there as fast as we'd like to.

1-10
4-8
2-10
3-9.

We're headed in the right direction. Obviously we're not going to get there as fast as we'd like to.

2 of 3 years under Marrone we have the same BE record as the last 3 GRob years. And it's a very weak league, probably weaker than the best non BCS league.

And to be fair, there are children we could have hired who could move us in a positive direction from that era.

2 of 3 years under Marrone we have the same BE record as the last 3 GRob years. And it's a very weak league, probably weaker than the best non BCS league.

And to be fair, there are children we could have hired who could move us in a positive direction from that era.

Oh sure, but we f$cking own FCS teams. OWN THEM.

stick with marrone, revamp the staff. no more hackett, hire special teams coach. this team had plenty to win at least 7 games this year. we gave away rutgers, uconn, and arguable pitt.

The talent level has improved, and next year we will be relying on a lot more on veteran Marrone guys. I think this year we were saddled with some older players who were not that talented, but had earned their spot over some younger kids who were still on a learning curve. The Cuse would do well to keep Marrone and Shafer around for a long while.

Can anyone layout a plausible happy outcome of Marrone's tenure? Because to me, next year looks like more of the same.
Sure, here goes.

The university decides that it has to get serious about football, meaning more $$$. With the anticipated ACC money soon to be arriving, they do two things:

1. Start football facility construction within a calendar year, borrowing now if need be.
2. Increase the budget for coaching salaries.

Marrone uses the extra $ to hire a few better coaches, emphasizing recruiting. And an OC with more experience. And a special teams guru.

But most important is #1. If they don't build something better, the best recruiters in the world aren't going to be able to sell this program and get the talent level where we want it to be.

Under a best-case scenario, still, I see about 6-6 next year. Then maybe 8-4 going forward, with a step up when the talent allows.

1-10
4-8
2-10
3-9.

In school if you had a 40 average and raised it to a 50 it is going in the right direction but is still a big fail. We could have easily won 5 of the 7 games we lost. That is not acceptable by a long shot. Last place in a year within the worst BCS conference of all time is a disgrace.

Sent from my DROIDX

I'd argue that the talent has not really improved. We may have less terrible guys, but Marrone hasn't really brought anyone in that is a Chandler Jones, Doug Hogue, Delone Carter, or Mike Williams type. We'll have to see what happens with Marrone's 2012 class but unfortunately if things continue like this next season he may not get the chance to coach many of them.

Short answer: we're not going in the right direction unless our hope is to consistently get close victories over FCS and MAC teams. Should be a good time in the ACC.

IMO the only way that we become able to compete with VT and FSU in ACC is if we get that brand new football facility. WE NEED IT. We need to update the dome (New Video Board, Ribbon Board maybe? Maybe even actual orange seats and not silver bleachers in 100 level but not student section) With a couple of solid seasons 7-5 to 9-3. I believe we can compete. With the new ACC money I am optimistic it can happen. Facilities are so important.

In school if you had a 40 average and raised it to a 50 it is going in the right direction but is still a big fail. We could have easily won 5 of the 7 games we lost. That is not acceptable by a long shot. Last place in a year within the worst BCS conference of all time is a disgrace.

Sent from my DROIDX

Did we lose the last 5 because we have the worst talent in the BE, or did we lose because of drops and silly mistakes and other correctable errors?

If we only turn the ball over 3 times instead of 6, we win today. That's a bone headed ST play, a bad throw / route, and Nassib tucking the ball away on a run.

Sent from my DROIDX

Sadly we easily could have lost 4 of the 5 we won.

I dont understand how people can say our talent has improved. Most of the impact players are still grob guys, I mean in three years Marrone couldnt recruit a QB that can unseat Nassib, that is not a good sign.

Exactly - in this league I do not believe it to be a talent issue either.

Did we lose the last 5 because we have the worst talent in the BE, or did we lose because of drops and silly mistakes and other correctable errors?

If we only turn the ball over 3 times instead of 6, we win today. That's a bone headed ST play, a bad throw / route, and Nassib tucking the ball away on a run.

Whether you agree with it or not, these are reasons why coaches get fired. Not that ours should, still way too soon for that. Just saying.

The talent level has improved, and next year we will be relying on a lot more on veteran Marrone guys. I think this year we were saddled with some older players who were not that talented, but had earned their spot over some younger kids who were still on a learning curve. The Cuse would do well to keep Marrone and Shafer around for a long while.

Do you really think the talent has gotten better? I actually think Grobs recruits are the strength of the team.

And we have the worst overall offensive talent we've ever had IMO.

1-10
4-8
2-10
3-9.

IMO Grob's HCing easily cost us two Ws a year. So a mediocre HC would have gone 3-9, 6-6, 4-8, 5-7. That to me looks exactly like what Marrone has done this far. Yes in perception we have moved up. And in actual record we have moved up. But in reality we are still where we were when Marrone took over in capabilities.

Another year of nassib is another year of crappy offense. Marrone is nuts if has another year with no deep passes and no rushing threat at qb.

Another year of nassib is another year of crappy offense. Marrone is nuts if has another year with no deep passes and no rushing threat at qb.
Agree with you there. If he doesn't have something better to put on the field in year 4, I will be disappointed.

I'd be happy with 5 new OL. Nassib is nothing special but is at least middle of the big east pack. The OL is easily the worst of the BE and maybe a number of FBS teams.

Sent from my DROIDX

Our talent sucks. Pure and simple. Watch any other game on college game day and you will see impact players on teams that can score, play good defense, with good special teams play.

This team has ZERO impact players. They appear to be poorly coached. Syracuse football is a joke.

It seems we regressed and to make matters worse, Marrone seems to have lost the team. As I mentioned in a thread a month or so ago, I think recruiting is ultimately what does Marrone in.

I completely disagree with your premise.

I saw a team that battled today. I saw a team that fought back from adversity and played hard.

We are heading in the right direction. No doubt about it.

Recruiting is the key to every program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom