Does Dion get "it?" | Syracusefan.com

Does Dion get "it?"

Fireball Jr.

All American
Only 3 games into the season, but legitimate questions being raised about Dion and if he's gonna fit in with LeBron, Kyrie, Love, et al. I thought a week ago, before opening night, there was no way he'd mess up this golden opportunity. Now, I'm starting to wonder. Watched game last night, not sure he understands his role yet. Big fan of the kid, hope he checks himself before he wrecks himself. http://www.businessinsider.com/dion-waiters-on-cavaliers-role-2014-11

At this point I don't think he does, but after seeing two of their three games I feel that kyrie is more of a detriment to the team then dion. In no way am I saying that I think Dion is better, just that Kyrie is such a clog on offense that it's basically neutralizing the fact that the cavs have the best player in basketball. Both of those guards still need to learn their role on the team.

Thing is, the Cavs need everything they can get out of Dion. That's a shallow, shallow roster.

But hey, Lebron's friends Mike Miller and James Jones are really making a splash. Really productive minutes out of that duo.

For anyone that has delt with the media this is an obvious cheap shot. Dion's quote probably came before Coach talked to him. No-one in his position is that dense that he would defy the coach. On the other hand, the typical reporter is unscupulous enough to distort the truth in order to get a story.

I am obviously not Dion's biggest fan, and I have serious doubts about whether he will ever fit into Cleveland's scheme . . . but that doesn't blind me to the fact that it is way, way too soon to make that judgement right now. Check back in December.

LeBron is a prima donna, he can only play with a pat hand. he's going to miss flash.

At this point I don't think he does, but after seeing two of their three games I feel that kyrie is more of a detriment to the team then dion. In no way am I saying that I think Dion is better, just that Kyrie is such a clog on offense that it's basically neutralizing the fact that the cavs have the best player in basketball. Both of those guards still need to learn their role on the team.
Kyrie was a mess last night, 3-17. As LeBron says, the Cavs have some bad habits to reverse, it'll take some time for chemistry to develop. He stood in the background last night, let the youngbloods go their own way, which was ugly. But offense will come; Kyrie, Dion, et al., need to work on defense. They get another shot tonight at Utah to work on things.

Yep I agree. Ppl are acting as though this teams' been around for 2 or 3 years instead of 2 or 3 games. There are going to be adjustments, obviously. Let's give it some time and see how they all fall into their roles.

For the record, I don't see Dion's quote as that outrageous. What's so terrible about saying he's not a 3 point catch-n-shoot player, but he'll try to "do it"? He's not a 3 point catch and shoot player!! Obviously he's got to reduce his shot-count this year with 2 (3 counting Irving) other superstars on the team, but on the other hand asking him to play like Steve Novak is a little silly.

The troubling thing about Dion is this question has been asked every year since his first at Syracuse. Will he ever show that "he gets it"?

It takes time but to me Irving is more of a ball stopper on offence than Dion is. Still both of these guys need to defend, move the ball quickly or make an aggressive drive/shot.

Dion not starting tonight at Utah. Matrix is starting in his place, looking forward to seeing how Dion adjusts to coming in off the bench.

I watched last night and the NBA tv guys were saying that Portland's strategy was to attack Dion with Wesley Matthews and sure enough, they did repeatedly. The Cavs as a team aren't that strong in their own end, but Dion's defense was very poor. He has the ability to be a solid defender, so he needs to commit there and he'll see plenty of minutes.

The Heat were dysfunctional when they were first assembled too. I remember people questioning whether they could win and put it all together. The Cavs will be fine and Dion will be too. It will take time before anyone can make any rational judgements about them.

Dion not starting tonight at Utah. Matrix is starting in his place, looking forward to seeing how Dion adjusts to coming in off the bench.
Seems like the Cavs have bigger things to worry about besides Dion.

I watched last night and the NBA tv guys were saying that Portland's strategy was to attack Dion with Wesley Matthews and sure enough, they did repeatedly. The Cavs as a team aren't that strong in their own end, but Dion's defense was very poor. He has the ability to be a solid defender, so he needs to commit there and he'll see plenty of minutes.
Jazz doing the same tonight. Dion's defense could be the death of him.

Seems like the Cavs have bigger things to worry about besides Dion.
Yeah, I'm watching this game. The Jazz aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut, and they're doing whatever they want. The Cavs look like a bad team. Disorganized and soft.

Lebron doesn't exactly look like he's full of piss and vinegar, either. The Jazz are face guarding him with Novak. Yep.

Disorganized and soft.

Lebron doesn't exactly look like he's full of piss and vinegar, either. The Jazz are face guarding him with Novak. Yep.
Not Novak. It's Ingels. Like, who's he? But he's LeBron. Everyone is going to play their best against him.

Ha, even better. What's an Ingels?
Marty Ingels?

Unknown.jpeg