Does Dion get "it?" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does Dion get "it?"

Cleveland has 2 assists at the half.
This is the 3rd game I have watched the Cavs this season and their interior defense is horrible. Match that up with horrible offense and you have the makings of an under .500 team. Eventually Bronnie, Kevin and Kyrie will learn to play together but right now they are putrid.

For anyone that has delt with the media this is an obvious cheap shot. Dion's quote probably came before Coach talked to him. No-one in his position is that dense that he would defy the coach. On the other hand, the typical reporter is unscupulous enough to distort the truth in order to get a story.
Isn't the proof in the performance (or lack thereof)...not in any quote?

Only 3 games into the season, but legitimate questions being raised about Dion and if he's gonna fit in with LeBron, Kyrie, Love, et al. I thought a week ago, before opening night, there was no way he'd mess up this golden opportunity. Now, I'm starting to wonder. Watched game last night, not sure he understands his role yet. Big fan of the kid, hope he checks himself before he wrecks himself. http://www.businessinsider.com/dion-waiters-on-cavaliers-role-2014-11

Looks like Lebron was right...Dion will be made the scapegoat if things aren't going well.

Wow. Lebron got a superstar call there.

Gordon Hayward with the testicular fortitude to bury the game winner with Lebron on him.

Well done, Jazz.

Please. Anybody gets that call.

And was this a "superstar" call? Ball's on backboard when Hayward swatted it. That's goaltending. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11...hits-lebron-james-with-a-big-chase-down-block

Cavs have to learn to pass. Six assists, four from LeBron.
Ah, I forgot you were a big Lebron guy.

While I agree anybody could get that call, you would also see the whistle get swallowed on similar plays now and again, especially for the road team.

Jazz had 8 blocks. Cavs were trying to argue for a lot of goaltends.

Which is funny, because you totally see refs call that late because a player is encouraging them to.

The Cavs look awful. Eight man rotation, including Mike "Dead Legs" Miller and Shawn "Age Really Caught Up With Him Fast" Marion combining for 0 points in 46 minutes. As Jim Boeheim might say, they scored as many points as a dead man. Kyrie played 45 minutes. Love didn't grab a single offensive rebound. Kanter annihilated them inside. Just got owned by one of the youngest teams in the league.

In other news, Trevor Booker looks like a sneaky good signing for the Jazz.

The Heat were dysfunctional when they were first assembled too. I remember people questioning whether they could win and put it all together. The Cavs will be fine and Dion will be too. It will take time before anyone can make any rational judgements about them.

Wade was already a champion and LBJ had already had deep playoff experience. The young Cavs haven't done squat. BIG difference. Irving was sick tonight. Brought them back into the game. He just has a ridiculous skillset. Dion did nothing. Dion needs to accept his role and get out of the doghouse, a place where he most certainly is.

Ah, I forgot you were a big Lebron guy.

While I agree anybody could get that call, you would also see the whistle get swallowed on similar plays now and again, especially for the road team.

Jazz had 8 blocks. Cavs were trying to argue for a lot of goaltends.

Which is funny, because you totally see refs call that late because a player is encouraging them to.

The Cavs look awful. Eight man rotation, including Mike "Dead Legs" Miller and Shawn "Age Really Caught Up With Him Fast" Marion combining for 0 points in 46 minutes. As Jim Boeheim might say, they scored as many points as a dead man. Kyrie played 45 minutes. Love didn't grab a single offensive rebound. Kanter annihilated them inside. Just got owned by one of the youngest teams in the league.

In other news, Trevor Booker looks like a sneaky good signing for the Jazz.

Good post. Derrick Favors looks like he has improved as well. Always liked Booker at Clemson.

Wade was already a champion and LBJ had already had deep playoff experience. The young Cavs haven't done squat. BIG difference. Irving was sick tonight. Brought them back into the game. He just has a ridiculous skillset. Dion did nothing. Dion needs to accept his role and get out of the doghouse, a place where he most certainly is.
Hard to get much done when he barely plays over 10 minutes, while the replacements Marion/Miller put up a combined 0 pts. Cavs or the media can blame Dion all they want but he's far from the only reason why they have started slow.

If this keeps up a week from now Blatt should just bench Irving if his field goal attempts ever get higher than Lebron's and Love's. He should not be leading that team in field goal attempts, he's the third option and he needs to play like it.

6 assists for Cleveland last night. 0 for Kyrie. The ball isn't moving. Kyrie is definately the biggest blackhole on the team, but as much as I love Dion he hasnt helped too much either. 11-34 in 4 games. I know he only played thirteen minutes last night, but if I am him you have to try and stick it out in Cleveland. Learn to play with Lebron and Love. They are both great passers and will find you.

Kyrie is killing the Cavs. Playing hero ball. Theres no way he should be taking more shots than Love or Lebron, who are both more effcient offensive players.

i want someone to put on their GM hat.. give me a good trade for the cavs that includes dion.. and please no mogozov(i know i spelled that wrong) trades. I think he a stiff that would not help this team

i want someone to put on their GM hat.. give me a good trade for the cavs that includes dion.. and please no mogozov(i know i spelled that wrong) trades. I think he a stiff that would not help this team

I don't think they should consider trading anyone until they have played 30 games or so and figured things out. At that point if Irving isn't going to work you can get more for him than Dion. James and Love are the guys you are building the team around. Varijia is a nice complimentary piece as is Dion. Irving is the guy that really needs to be able to blend as he is already a star in this league and as the PG will have the ball more than anyone. If it doesn't work on offense its on him more than anyone else. Dion IMO is ideal as a second unit dynamic bench scorer who can also start at either guard spot when needed.

3 team trade...Knicks to send JR Smith to Cleveland, Waiters to whomever...and Knicks get expiring contract of a shooter.

I feel like Sactown would sell the farm for Irving.

This isn't as much about Dion as it is about how the Cavs are constituted. I'm not as worried about the on-court chemistry, as that will get ironed out over time. I just wonder if this group overall is well suited to play with Lebron. Lebron is at his best not just as a scorer, but as the primary facilitator of the offense. That means that the ball needs to run through him at all times. He's not a gunner--he finds teammates. And yes, Lebron played with "point guards" in both Cleveland / Miami, but in actuality he was the facilitator of the offense; those guys were only "point guards" in name.

Problem is, Kyrie Irving predominates the ball. Dion Waiters predominates the ball. Both of these guys need to get comfortable playing off the ball and not trying to do to much, because it bogs down the offense and takes the ball out of Lebron's hands. Ditto Kevin Love. Great player--love his game. But he's gotten used to playing on a team where he was the top dog, and could take unlimited shots. Great range for a big, but him spending 85% of his time on the perimeter might not be best for the Cavs.

And its only been a few games, but I have a feeling that their HC, Blatt, might be in a little over his head. Not that he doesn't understand the X's and O's, because he's been a successful international coach, but the NBA is a different animal. The season is a grind, the players can be a challenge, and he's facing a delicate balance of having a few veterans mixed with a bunch of younger players who are still figuring things out. Some coaches excel at relating to veterans [Doc Rivers, Poppovich, to name a few], while others are a better fit for teaching the game to younger players on inexperienced teams. What does Blatt excel at?

There's only one basketball--and the Cavs right now might not be constructed to maximize Lebron's talents. Sometimes, less talented role players might be a better fit, even though a player like Kyrie Irving is surely more talented.

I feel like Sactown would sell the farm for Irving.
I doubt the Cavs would even consider trading Kyrie, but, man, as great an offensive player as he is, he has to start passing every once in a while. He had 1 assist, Dion had 1, and LeBron had the Cavs' other 4. Six total assists? What's up with that? Not the way I saw this playing out. Of course, they're just 4 games into the season, as Quin Snyder said last night, the Cavs can be a different team in two weeks. Sure hope so.
From LeBron after last night's game: "There's no way you're going to win a basketball game like that, just having six assists...We just can't win like that. We have to figure out a way to help each other and not make it so tough."

He's no raging superstar, but losing Dellavedova for a month doesn't help, either.