Does it concern anyone else | Syracusefan.com

Does it concern anyone else

cusestudent

2nd String
That the first thing out of many kids' mouths about SU offering them is that they don't know much about the SU? That is how far this program has fallen; kids simply do not know anything about SU other than Ernie Davis went there. And heck we won't even use the number to our advantage...

We last had a top 25 season in 2001. Most of the kids we are recruiting were, what, 5 or 6 when that happened?

It should be more surprising that anyone has a clue about SU aside from being a great hoops school.

Besides Alums, CNY, WNY and some in NYC who follows the program? We are no longer a national program that recruits itself. I would not expect a kid from Michigan or Georgia to know much about SU. It is up to the coaches to sell it to the kids and get the program more recognized nationally.

I believe the only time we have had significant mention on college game day in the last 10 years is that story run on the Express/PSU game. And that was how far we have fallen.

One correction...

Besides Alums, CNY, WNY and some in NYC who follows the program? We are no longer have never been a national program that recruits itself. I would not expect a kid from Michigan or Georgia to know much about SU. It is up to the coaches to sell it to the kids and get the program more recognized nationally.

I believe the only time we have had significant mention on college game day in the last 10 years is that story run on the Express/PSU game. And that was how far we have fallen.

Besides Alums, CNY, WNY and some in NYC who follows the program? We are no longer a national program that recruits itself. I would not expect a kid from Michigan or Georgia to know much about SU. It is up to the coaches to sell it to the kids and get the program more recognized nationally.

Well many Georgia kids know about SU from the new alumni center in Atlanta and there has been a good amount of advertising the school in recent years, but you're correct the farther places shouldn't know that much. My main concern is kids from Ohio, Pennsylvania and other close states. Some of the players seem to not have known SU existed until they got an offer.

That the first thing out of many kids' mouths about SU offering them is that they don't know much about the SU? That is how far this program has fallen; kids simply do not know anything about SU other than Ernie Davis went there. And heck we won't even use the number to our advantage...

Based on what they could be saying id much rather have them say that they dont know a lot. Gives Marrone a chance to explain his vision and what happened last year with the collapse.

I thought the same thing, every kid says I dont know too much about them. Why would kids know about Syracuse football. This is why I would rather lose to USC in NYC than beat Buffalo at home. Since Miami and Virginia Tech left the BE Syracuse's national exposure has fallen every year. The other concerning thing that is said is, I havent heard from their coaches in a while. Have to wonder is SU is one of the only schools that isnt violating the contact rules.

Well many Georgia kids know about SU from the new alumni center in Atlanta
There's no such thing. There's a vision of establishing one, but it won't happen any time soon.

For now, there's a regional admissions office. Kids who attend their school's college fair have a good chance of being exposed to Syracuse. I'll be representing the University at one next week. The move to the ACC is already helping. I would expect familiarity to improve once the move becomes a reality.

I thought the same thing, every kid says I dont know too much about them. Why would kids know about Syracuse football. This is why I would rather lose to USC in NYC than beat Buffalo at home. Since Miami and Virginia Tech left the BE Syracuse's national exposure has fallen every year. The other concerning thing that is said is, I havent heard from their coaches in a while. Have to wonder is SU is one of the only schools that isnt violating the contact rules.

I thought the only way to better market the program was winning? That's been the consensus on these boards. Losing to USC in NYC is not better for this program right now. Maybe in the future, but not now. Beating Buffalo or some other MAC team would be much better for the program. SU needs wins.

I highly doubt SU is one of the only schools not violating contact rules. If I had to venture a guess (based on everything else that is going on) I'd suspect SU isn't taking advantage of social media recruiting that most schools are now. This is how kids are really getting to "know" coaches these days.

I thought the same thing, every kid says I dont know too much about them. Why would kids know about Syracuse football. This is why I would rather lose to USC in NYC than beat Buffalo at home.

I will counter this with the assertion that the only way to gain national attention, short of beating USC, is to make bowl games. No one knew who Rutgers was until they played ASU in a bowl game. No one knew who Va Tech was in 1992 either. Both used weak OOC schedules to get bowl eligible and gain some momentum for the programs. Smoke and mirrors works with the media and with recruiting. Obviously, you have to transition over to a tough OOC schedule in order to transition into a prominent program, but you have to get 6-7 wins consistently in order to be in that position. Going 5-7 and losing to USC every year isn't going to get you there.

I thought the only way to better market the program was winning? That's been the consensus on these boards. Losing to USC in NYC is not better for this program right now. Maybe in the future, but not now. Beating Buffalo or some other MAC team would be much better for the program. SU needs wins.

I highly doubt SU is one of the only schools not violating contact rules. If I had to venture a guess (based on everything else that is going on) I'd suspect SU isn't taking advantage of social media recruiting that most schools are now. This is how kids are really getting to "know" coaches these days.[/quote]

I've found it almost a lock that in the cutting edge of recruiting, advancement of the program, etc., SU is ALWAYS ALWAYS behind the eight ball! That pretty much goes for every sport. Maybe our AD loves the three day work weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom