Does JB actually believe this | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does JB actually believe this

Big money will be involved. College football and basketball generate millions of dollars. Millions of dollars are spent on advertising. It is a tax write-off business expense. The net effect is that the image of amateur athletics will be demolished. This will open the door to further changes involving entire teams.

The argument can be made that 'amateur' P-5 college basketball and football is a mirage so nothing really changes. With the influx of outright payments there will be no curtain to hide behind. Perhaps the next step will be teams for sale to the highest bidder? Why not?

Big money will be involved. College football and basketball generate millions of dollars. Millions of dollars are spent on advertising. It is a tax write-off business expense. The net effect is that the image of amateur athletics will be demolished. This will open the door to further changes involving entire teams.

The argument can be made that 'amateur' P-5 college basketball and football is a mirage so nothing really changes. With the influx of outright payments there will be no curtain to hide behind. Perhaps the next step will be teams for sale to the highest bidder? Why not?

Probably whats happening now with the blue bloods.

Got it - so that number is different at every school?

Yes it is different. In a prior post the number I used I said was monthly based on what a parent told me. But the more I look into it, it is either the total for the year or semester. And last I had heard, SU was one of the lowest in the ACC. It’s all determined by financial aid office and what is determined to be the difference between a scholarship and what full cost of attendance is. That would include travel, going home, etc.

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves.

It could be the end of college sports as we know it or it could push college sports into a new era where guys are more likely to stay on campus longer - grow as a player, person, etc.

Imo the P5 schools should tell the NCAA to shove off and just start a system from scratch that finds a way to include stipends, money from likeness etc while at the same time educates these KIDS on the best way to handle this money now and how to prepare for the future.

View attachment 171203

If you didn’t play EA college football then you are the minority.
Wrong.
Here are some counter arguments.

Roster limits would still be a factor. Kentucky can't literally get everybody. Part of the calculus a player makes will be weighing opportunity on a roster. Is it better for them to be the 10th man at Duke, or the top guy at Iowa State? That isn't much different from how players have to think of it now. In fact, bring in financials, and we might even see talent smooth out some.

Another factor will be geographic opportunity. It's very possible it becomes very valuable for athletes to dominate the market where their school is located. This likely means some previously overlooked destinations become very hot and desirable.

It's also possible that more money flows in. We have bag men because that's how a "donor" can drive the most direct impact to their program. Legitimate donors have to spend an awful lot of money to provide a ridiculous indirect benefit (locker room bling, for example). More people may step forward if they feel they can 1, directly benefit their favorite team more by coming to an arrangement with a player and oh by the way 2, actually derive some benefit from that relationship by having that player associated with their business.

We might also see some players clean up their act a little. It's one thing if you have the risk of losing a scholarship. It's another altogether if a public mishap during a night out on the town costs you 6 figures in endorsements.

Keep in mind too, most of the conversation so far has been about money going to a player as they choose a school. Let's not overlook though the value a player could realize while developing as an athlete. This is one of the biggest reasons why I think this needs to be done. We love in a world where under the right circumstances anybody can have their 15 minutes of Fame, and our current way of doing things prohibits student-athletes from benefitting from that. Think of the baseball player that makes news in town for throwing a perfect game, or women's softball players that demonstrate exceptional sportsmanship, or for Olympic sport athletes, imagine the benefit that an athlete at the top of their sport at a school could find when the US swim/wrestling/volleyball/gymnastics teams are popular during the Olympics. I think women's soccer players for example could be some of the biggest beneficiaries. One of the most compelling reasons to me to make a change is to benefit those athletes, and you can't predict all of that value or possibility until they're competing at that level.

Lastly, and I know you acknowledge this... big picture, this is a more important issue than how it affects any one University's fans and programs. I believe that rights to name and likeness are a necessity and inherent human rights in today's world.
Kentucky's own Mr. Huge, says kid, I want you at Kentucky. As part of our deal, I'll pay for school, plus whatever else it will take. Zion would have gotten $1M bucks from someone.

one Of my concerns is that the haves and have-nots in a locker room could EASILY breed jealously or resentment. We are human after all.

If you can't make money off your likeness like your higher profile teammates, you could always make money shaving points...

This is one of those areas where the "obvious" solution has a ton of potential issues. I completely disagree with anyone who thinks JBs position is lazy - the lazy position is supporting players making money off their likeness without planning to account for the myriad of issues it will create.

I think revenue sports athletes not getting a more substantial cut of the revenues is immoral and unjust. However, I also think the remedies being proposed are mostly due to political constraints - and they will manage to create an even worse situation.

It could be the end of college sports as we know it or it could push college sports into a new era where guys are more likely to stay on campus longer - grow as a player, person, etc.

Imo the P5 schools should tell the NCAA to shove off and just start a system from scratch that finds a way to include stipends, money from likeness etc while at the same time educates these KIDS on the best way to handle this money now and how to prepare for the future.

I think it's highly unlikely that athletes will stay in college an additional year or two, unless the compensation for playing in college is close to what a pro athlete makes.

The NCAA's best response will be to make all scholarships need based.

Wrong.

Kentucky's own Mr. Huge, says kid, I want you at Kentucky. As part of our deal, I'll pay for school, plus whatever else it will take. Zion would have gotten $1M bucks from someone.
LOL
EA Sports sold 1.5 MILLION copies of College Football 2014.

They can't do it now because of the O'Bannon lawsuit. This CA Law would change that. Players would actually get compensated. Oh god forbid. The players that actually drive the game be paid for their likeness being used to sell a game that generates over 400 million dollars annually for the NCAA, schools, and game maker can't be shared with the athletes.

Okay.
You may have not played College Football from EA but people under 40 loved the game.

If you can't make money off your likeness like your higher profile teammates, you could always make money shaving points...

This is one of those areas where the "obvious" solution has a ton of potential issues. I completely disagree with anyone who thinks JBs position is lazy - the lazy position is supporting players making money off their likeness without planning to account for the myriad of issues it will create.

I think revenue sports athletes not getting a more substantial cut of the revenues is immoral and unjust. However, I also think the remedies being proposed are mostly due to political constraints - and they will manage to create an even worse situation.

Yep. Jb even said a lot more thought has to go into this.

I think it's highly unlikely that athletes will stay in college an additional year or two, unless the compensation for playing in college is close to what a pro athlete makes.
I think it gives borderline NBA guys more incentive to stay. Some guys leave because they just need SOME money in their pockets so they don’t even really care if they don’t make the NBA they are just trying to get out and make some money overseas.

Could help some guys put off the overseas career for another year in some scenarios.

Wrong.

And that's awesome.

It's not just the top 1% who gets paid. Mason has gone in detail about this before.

Mike Gbinije and Trevor Cooney did local commercials in Syracuse immediately after the Final Four in 2016.

G & Trevor did commercials because they were done with their eligibility. If they were allowed to, a top 25 player they would be the first choice as a freshman or sophomore over them.

G & Trevor did commercials because they were done with their eligibility. If they were allowed to, a top 25 player they would be the first choice as a freshman or sophomore over them.
So basically players that bring value would get paid. That is shocking. I would rather players that bring value get the money while the iron is hot than allowing the NCAA to own the players likeness and allow TV networks promote their games with those players without compensating them.

Listening to Jb’s full interview, he took an analytical and honestly reassuring approach to the question. He’s looking out for all the players, not just the Melo’s of the group.

Listening to Jb’s full interview, he took an analytical and honestly reassuring approach to the question. He’s looking out for all the players, not just the Melo’s of the group.
The 10th-13th players on the bench don't get the same playing time as the 1-5 players on the team.
JB doesn't treat them the same. Every single player would have the same ability to profit.
The UCF trick shot kicker was making money on Youtube ads before the NCAA shut him down.
That kid wasn't a big name but worked his butt off to create his own brand and following to make money from ads. He had to stop because the NCAA rules wouldn't let players make money off their brands and maintain their eligibility.
That is a joke.
Sorry Craig Forth or Jeremy McNeil you aren't going to get the endorsements/commercials Gerry McNamara, Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick would get.
It's like the real world. The NCAA shouldn't be able to own that.

Assuming...

Yep. He gave a very thoughtful response. He talked about the cost of attendance stipend, talked about the new meal money rules and how great for the players that was and more than a few times mentioned how they need to do even more to get the players money. He also talked about the potential pitfalls and fairness. He said he didn’t have all the answers but others were working through it. It was a great discussion. But of course some people still want to piss on jb just because.

The 10th-13th players on the bench don't get the same playing time as the 1-5 players on the team.
JB doesn't treat them the same. Every single player would have the same ability to profit.
The UCF trick shot kicker was making money on Youtube ads before the NCAA shut him down.
That kid wasn't a big name but worked his butt off to create his own brand and following to make money from ads. He had to stop because the NCAA rules wouldn't let players make money off their brands and maintain their eligibility.
That is a joke.
Sorry Craig Forth or Jeremy McNeil you aren't going to get the endorsements/commercials Gerry McNamara, Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick would get.
It's like the real world. The NCAA shouldn't be able to own that.

The real world is kids don’t have to go to college to play sports either.

Sorry to be a broken record but...

Mega conference of 32 schools, basketball & football players are employees (not students). Have a salary cap, player contracts, and a union just like the NBA & NFL. One four year contract per player. And you can be cut for underperformance just like the pros. And they can sign as many endorsement deals as they want.

The other 300+ colleges stay with the NCAA or start a new organization based on the student athlete model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom