Does JB actually believe this | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Does JB actually believe this

In my example, the market is not efficient. It is inefficient because the car dealer doesn't get anywhere near $500,000 worth of value to his business by having random player "Zion" show up at the dealership on a few Saturdays. He is paying $500,00 for the noneconomic reason that it makes him feel good that his local college basketball team is good and this money will help the school recruit.

There are plenty of people who feel college athletes should be able to market their athletic abilities and get paid for them. Those people would be thrilled that the kid is getting $500K for agreeing to go to a particular school. Whether you agree with that sentiment or not, they are at least being honest that this is about paying players to play for schools in the guise of allowing them to collect endorsement money.

I agree that the endorsement money is 100% just a vehicle to get the players to play for their favorite school and I don't have a problem with that at all. That was what I meant by the players market value in your prior post. "Zion"'s market value is whatever the marketplace thinks is worth paying him if it means he'll be on their favorite team and give them the enjoyment of their favorite team being good.

It sounds like the disconnect was you may have been referencing the actual economic benefit to the dealership like how many more cars the dealership will sell if "Zion" was in a commercial. That I don't really care about. Business owners can spend their money on whatever they want, however, I don't think many people are going to have their business and livelihood go under so they can overpay the starting point guard for their favorite team.

Who’s gonna pay these kids anyone worth 25k to endorse your product will be leaving for the NBA in months.

I mean sure they can probably pick up 100 bucks from a local restaurant if they temporary tattoo the name of the place on their arm.

If Tyus got 25K and Frank got nothing I don’t think Frank would be too happy...
I'm sure this exists but it in the pros too. If you want to get paid to do commercials get better.

Do all our assistant coaches make the same amount Money?
no, but none of them make zero and that is the potential issue in team building that jb worries about down the road

Under a competitive bidding system for players it is highly unlikely Carmelo would have gone to Syracuse. Many big schools could have promised more money for ads etc.

In today’s environment, I agree. Back then? I don’t know. Carmelo didn’t fit the typical profile of the kinds of kids Duke recruited back then. And Kentucky wasn’t nearly as big of a recruiting juggernaut at the time. UNC had a crappy coach, but maybe. Everybody else, isn’t as big of a deal IMO.

here's how you handle jb's concerns:

each school hires an n.i.l. agent who collects the money, distributes it, makes sure taxes, etc. are paid. so everyone doesn't have an agent, but the program provides one for the squad

then every year someone prints up some crappy trinkets like "2021 syracuse orange party napkins" with the name, face & number of every scholarship player. then a collection of boosters buy up about $100k to 150k worth or so and everyone gets about 8-12 grand

the stars will get more from better deals, but at least everyone gets something significant. of course, this will seriously tilt the playing field even more in favor of schools with the deepest pocketed boosters, but that is the world we are in

Pretty weak response, especially from a staff member. That's what people do I guess when they don't have a worthwhile answer.

I've read the thread and it's just more of the same of people grasping at straws for reasons that don't really hold up on why players can't get paid. Because their focus is on what's best for them as fans and the schools to maintain the control, not what's best for the student athlete.

First it was player's are barely worth their scholarship, then it was the players would make too much and now it's we can't let this happen because it will impact team chemistry? I mean come on...
How much value do the players actually add? People are supporting Syracuse basketball or duke basketball or whatever school. The value isn’t in a kid who is there for 9 months. I have not met a single person who told me they didn’t like college basketball before but this Zion kid changed everything. You could take the top 50 kids out of high school and have them skip college and it would have no financial impact.

How much value do the players actually add? People are supporting Syracuse basketball or duke basketball or whatever school. The value isn’t in a kid who is there for 9 months. I have not met a single person who told me they didn’t like college basketball before but this Zion kid changed everything. You could take the top 50 kids out of high school and have them skip college and it would have no financial impact.

I think theres ‘s quite a bit of data that shows schools benefit tremendously from having a successful basketball or football program. Boosts alumni enthusiasm, exposure, donors, increase in applicants, revenues from ticket sales and increased attendance etc. and in theory the better the players you get the more successful your program will be.

Maybe you’re right though and they don’t have much added value. If that’s the case then letting them profit off their name and likeness is a win-win for everybody. Players get freedom they’ve always wanted and the people worried it will ruin college sports won’t see much of an impact.

The 10th-13th players on the bench don't get the same playing time as the 1-5 players on the team.
JB doesn't treat them the same. Every single player would have the same ability to profit.
The UCF trick shot kicker was making money on Youtube ads before the NCAA shut him down.
That kid wasn't a big name but worked his butt off to create his own brand and following to make money from ads. He had to stop because the NCAA rules wouldn't let players make money off their brands and maintain their eligibility.
That is a joke.
Sorry Craig Forth or Jeremy McNeil you aren't going to get the endorsements/commercials Gerry McNamara, Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick would get.
It's like the real world. The NCAA shouldn't be able to own that.
Check out these kids IG's, you can make some serious money just by shouting out peoples Instagram accounts for them. Just read a story not long ago of a kid who was making a couple hundred K a year with INSTAGRAM SHOUTOUTS.

Have they even defined what "likeness" mean? I am fine with the idea but execution will be a challenge.

How would they even enforce or decide if a kid is being paid NOT based on his likeness?

I still don't understand why it's an issue if a scholarship athlete decides to work part time as a UPS truck driver, or wait tables at a restaurant on weekends. All students can do that, why can't a scholarship athlete?

Since names like Craig Forth and Carmelo Anthony were mentioned, I will throw this out there...supposed Craig were to shoot a behind the scene video of Melo and posted it as original content on YouTube, and assuming Melo is ok with Craig doing it, now Craig is making some ad money. Is it a violation because Craig is making money not from his own likeness but someone else's?

Of course JB is concerned. He should be, in terms of team chemistry and team goals. In addition to all the distractions and temptations for an 18, 19 year old kid, now he has to worry about a kid struggling between doing what is best for his team's success vs what is best to enhance his individual likeness. Of course that's nothing new, but a kid might be more tempted to try a behind the back pass or a windmill dunk just to try and get more attention leading to potential endorsements.

Who’s gonna pay these kids anyone worth 25k to endorse your product will be leaving for the NBA in months.

I mean sure they can probably pick up 100 bucks from a local restaurant if they temporary tattoo the name of the place on their arm.

Really rich people spend a lot of money to go on dumb political retreats and anything else. There is plenty of wealth out there for people to throw tons of money around for this hobby of theirs.

Under a competitive bidding system for players it is highly unlikely Carmelo would have gone to Syracuse. Many big schools could have promised more money for ads etc.

Carmelo wasn't Carmelo until he came to Syracuse.

I agree that players should have the ability to make money from their likeness, but JB raises fair points. I also believe that assistant coaches getting paid less than other coaches is different than some athletes getting paid nothing while others athletes make money. My biggest concern is that the ones looking to get paid may try to show boat instead of buying into the team concept.

Now this of course happens at other levels, so I think players and coaches will find a way to work together. But simply telling jealous players to get over it or play better is not going to be the solution.

On a somewhat unrelated note, people have voiced concern over alumni boosters paying big bucks to get players to come play at their school. I don't see any problem with this. It's not my money and it's not the school's either. Will it lead to less parity? Probably, though I think it's overblown. However, if it leads to players being able to benefit from their unique and superb abilities, I'm cool with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom