Does JW have the gravitas and backing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does JW have the gravitas and backing

Yeah Oats ain’t coming…and you know he’s at Bama right? They have the biggest checkbook in the nation
Then force them to write a bigger check. I get what you are saying but buyouts happen and maybe IF JW thinks Oats is the guy to turn it around, he may be willing to go down that path to resurrect the hoops program by paying a buyout and giving Oats a big contract. To me people who toss out the names like Jay Wight are not realistic. Oats doesn't feel untouchable as an option BUT most certainly would be a break the bank kind of option. Which comes with a risk/reward calculus.

You got that right. Place would be packed every game.
Jerry will probably get the job when JB retires in 5 years. By that time it won't make any difference, we will be perpetually among the last ones in.

Jerry will probably get the job when JB retires in 5 years. By that time it won't make any difference, we will be perpetually among the last ones in.

We're already perpetually in the "last ones in".

Eight years is an ETERNITY in college basketball. I'm more worried about:

Jerry will probably get the job when JB retires in 5 years. By that time it won't make any difference, we will be on par with St. Johns from a programmatic standpoint.

Yeah Oats ain’t coming…and you know he’s at Bama right? They have the biggest checkbook in the nation

So. Who wants to win at a school that doesn't care about basketball?

I think he would rather do what hes doing down there on a bigger stage. We better offer him before another blue blood does though because while he will leave Bama for us he might not leave his next job for us.

Jerry....Lewis? Falwell? Van Dyke? Vale?

He makes $3.25m a year and just got an extension til ‘27. No way he’s leaving a job that has no issue spending money for coaches to come to a middle of the road acc program for less money

If you want a top-flight basketball program it will cost money. We just saw the AD open up the wallet for the Football program why wouldn't he do the same for the basketball program.

If you want a top-flight basketball program it will cost money. We just saw the AD open up the wallet for the Football program why wouldn't he do the same for the basketball program.
Not saying he won’t but I don’t think this program is that attractive at the moment to leave a top 15 program that Oats single handedly built and now has tons of school and fan support. And it’s pretty easy to win in his conference. All these things matter

Not saying he won’t but I don’t think this program is that attractive at the moment to leave a top 15 program that Oats single handedly built and now has tons of school and fan support. And it’s pretty easy to win in his conference. All these things matter

That is sort of like saying you would rather coach Wake Forest Football over taking the job at Nebraska. Nebraska is still the better job even though Wake Forest might be more attractive now.

That is sort of like saying you would rather coach Wake Forest Football over taking the job at Nebraska. Nebraska is still the better job even though Wake Forest might be more attractive now.
I don’t disagree. I think there’s going to be some interesting candidates for the job and I’m truly hoping he’s one of them. I just think there is more to it for Oats than anyone

Why is it “pretty easy to win” in the SEC? It’s the best, or second best conference right now, and Texas and Oklahoma are en route.

The ACC has 1 ranked team currently, and Syracuse saved the conference from being a national joke last year by making the Sweet 16.

Syracuse bball is a brand Alabama bball is something to pass the time along until spring football.
You can say the same about Texas basketball. This stuff matters nothing. Open your wallet you get who you want, it’s that simple.

So. Who wants to win at a school that doesn't care about basketball?

I think he would rather do what hes doing down there on a bigger stage. We better offer him before another blue blood does though because while he will leave Bama for us he might not leave his next job for us.
Times are changing my friends. Notice which schools are winning all recruiting wars now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom