Does JW have the gravitas and backing | Syracusefan.com

Does JW have the gravitas and backing

I suppose, if he's willing to end the Boeheim era with an angry resignation.

Couldn’t it be said that this is the weakest Cuse team in years? Also, I’d contend being tied at half is not the definition of “wiping the floor with us.”

Yeah because I posted that a minute ago. Good we fought back but it didnt look good at 23-13 getting smoked on the boards and tossing up bricks. My point is we don't have any margin and they came out looking like we do most games vs UVA.

My whole thing is this hasn’t worked in a while. Whens the last powerhouse regular season team? It hasn’t worked. It isn’t working now. Bubble team all the time and unfortunately college sports is what have you done for me lately. Any coach can go .500 here. I’m super appreciative and support JB for what he has done but man oh man this is not it

We are a really good job. There aren't many comps where Basketball is clearly king over Football. I think that is the clincher and what makes us a school the top guys would jump to. Sorry but if basketball players cared about football more than basketball wouldn't they just play football? You don't think no football isn't part of why Gonzaga has turned into Kentucky in terms of recruiting.

We are just like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC in that regard.

The fact that the job hasn't been open in 50 years makes it better IMO but of course there are plenty of people who think noone other than JB could have won any games over said 50 years.

You just have to identify the best 3-4 coaches that are likely to say yes and pay them a top salary and I think we'll turn it around immediately. The assistants on the staff would need a fully loaded cupboard to be able to go .500 in the ACC but guys like Oats and Underwood would probably prefer the cupboard to be bare and do the shopping themselves.

We are screwed if the AD lets JB force an assistant into the top job though.

My whole thing is this hasn’t worked in a while. Whens the last powerhouse regular season team? It hasn’t worked. It isn’t working now. Bubble team all the time and unfortunately college sports is what have you done for me lately. Any coach can go .500 here. I’m super appreciative and support JB for what he has done but man oh man this is not it

Preach. There just are no more pillars to lean onto. We have a nice class coming in next year but we can't keep doing this over and over again.

You are 100% right. We need to have JB retire and get some athletes who can ball. We are so slow it’s not even fair.

We are a really good job. There aren't many comps where Basketball is clearly king over Football. I think that is the clincher and what makes us a school the top guys would jump to. Sorry but if basketball players cared about football more than basketball wouldn't they just play football? You don't think no football isn't part of why Gonzaga has turned into Kentucky in terms of recruiting.

We are just like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC in that regard.

The fact that the job hasn't been open in 50 years makes it better IMO but of course there are plenty of people who think noone other than JB could have won any games over said 50 years.

You just have to identify the best 3-4 coaches that are likely to say yes and pay them a top salary and I think we'll turn it around immediately. The assistants on the staff would need a fully loaded cupboard to be able to go .500 in the ACC but guys like Oats and Underwood would probably prefer the cupboard to be bare and do the shopping themselves.

We are screwed if the AD lets JB force an assistant into the top job though.
Oats would have this program top 10 in a few years.

Oats would have this program top 10 in a few years.
Agreed. Guys like Oats don't usually need a lot of time either.

Everyone could transfer and if we hired him I think we'd somehow have a better team next year than we do this year.

Bama has some VERY good players buried on their bench too Quinnerly has a little brother that doesn't play they have a FR kid they beat Hop for from Tacoma that doesn't play a top 50 recruit from Canada that doesn't play just off the top of my head after their 7/8 key guys.

We have 5 players and less than nothing behind them. Don't forget JB didn't really develop Edwards who is clearly our best player he almost left the program during COVID since JB didn't play him and he was stuck in Europe and noone on here had a clue how good he actually was at the time. Last year he only played when JB had no other option. You think he'd be starting if Marek came back? Of course not he would be coming off the bench and Marek would play 35+ per night at center even after his tournament run. I'm sick of this kind of stuff.

i mean...5 years ago...i thought JB should be able to go out on his terms, how he wants to...

but its getting close to the point of no return...

he could literally kill the program if he keeps this going the way it is...

8 years without being ranked? yikes. i read an article today that used the phrase the fallen program or something to describe su...ouch

his system is not a winning system anymore and he either doesnt realize or doesnt wanna realize or whatever...

its so hard to watch now.

Whats scary is this could be considered an experienced team where guys have played a lot of college basketball.

Buddy 4th year
Joe 3rd year
Cole 3 years at Nova
Jimmy 3 years at Cornell
Jesse limited game experience but 3rd year in program
Symir 2 years as rotation player at Marquette

If they cant win with the experience and they are not recruiting elite talent, i dont know how they can get back to their level with JB at the helm

Whats scary is this could be considered an experienced team where guys have played a lot of college basketball.

Buddy 4th year
Joe 3rd year
Cole 3 years at Nova
Jimmy 3 years at Cornell
Jesse limited game experience but 3rd year in program
Symir 2 years as rotation player at Marquette

If they cant win with the experience and they are not recruiting elite talent, i dont know how they can get back to their level with JB at the helm
They were supposed to have amazing chemistry on top of the experience. I was told that often.

Yep, good point. I think that was code for, we no longer have guys who are good enough to challenge starters (KR) and challenge for minutes (Woody) and complain about their roles
Maybe that’s what we need, listening to Dion talk with Devo, it seemed like a war going on between the guards for pt during practice.

I kept hearing that SU will never pay the big bucks for a big time coach..because JB gives cuse the hometown discount.

When U of Miami hired Mario Cristobal to be their new football coach, I was thinking all these talk on the Miami circuit about how UM is a private school and there is no way UM will ever be able to pay for a big time football coach, UM had it's glory days in the 80s and after that have been treading water for a long time, they even had a "golden era" (Al Golden) and their last coach, Manny Diaz was an alumni and was signed for 8 million dollars till 2023. I was thinking about the parallel between Cuse basketball and Miami football. Then all of a sudden Diaz got canned, and Miami paid big bulks to get Mario Cristobal, signed him for 80 millions over 10 years, had to pay Diaz $4 mil to buy him out, had to pay Oregon $9 mil for Cristobal's buyout.

Meanwhile the school cut faculty budget for 100 mil, slashing retirement plan contribution and a bunch of other things...so they can find the big bucks, but pain will be felt somewhere else.

I kept hearing that SU will never pay the big bucks for a big time coach..because JB gives cuse the hometown discount.

When U of Miami hired Mario Cristobal to be their new football coach, I was thinking all these talk on the Miami circuit about how UM is a private school and there is no way UM will ever be able to pay for a big time football coach, UM had it's glory days in the 80s and after that have been treading water for a long time, they even had a "golden era" (Al Golden) and their last coach, Manny Diaz was an alumni and was signed for 8 million dollars till 2023. I was thinking about the parallel between Cuse basketball and Miami football. Then all of a sudden Diaz got canned, and Miami paid big bulks to get Mario Cristobal, signed him for 80 millions over 10 years, had to pay Diaz $4 mil to buy him out, had to pay Oregon $9 mil for Cristobal's buyout.

Meanwhile the school cut faculty budget for 100 mil, slashing retirement plan contribution and a bunch of other things...so they can find the big bucks, but pain will be felt somewhere else.
Doubtful the two are related. The U has deep pocket boosters who will pay whatever.

Then all of a sudden Diaz got canned, and Miami paid big bulks to get Mario Cristobal, signed him for 80 millions over 10 years, had to pay Diaz $4 mil to buy him out, had to pay Oregon $9 mil for Cristobal's buyout.

Freaking insane decisions if true. I'd rather keep Boeheim if that's the alternative.

Doubtful the two are related. The U has deep pocket boosters who will pay whatever.

University Of Miami Faculty Is Up In Arms Over Budget Cuts While Mario Cristobal Gets Paid A Fortune

UM faculty question big pay day for Cristobal

There was an article that explains where the additional football budget is coming from, which is the profit from their U-Health system, which makes $400 mil a year.

Report: Miami is set to significantly raise the annual football budget

But then again, one can argue why not divert the U-Health profit to the faculty budget instead of cutting and slashing that.

I suppose, if he's willing to end the Boeheim era with an angry resignation.
jw to jb "kent really needs a an elder statesman to advise him on university growth and issues. congratulations jim he has selected you for the position. it entails consultant to the board, attendance at selected physical plant improvements, academic input on athletics etc etc..
we really need you in this position jim, and it will be part of full time .as you deem necessary. it can be a salaried or consultant ."

Yeah.

There are certain trends to how he wants to coach right now that aren't conducive to winning basketball, and at some point he got content with underdog tourney runs. Which are a legitimate achievement by the way, it's just that we know as a program we can accomplish more.

And we're definitely not at the same level of talent we have been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom