Does JW have the gravitas and backing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does JW have the gravitas and backing

Times are changing my friends. Notice which schools are winning all recruiting wars now?
Bingo. More and more of the best bball talent is down south, and the halo effect at prestigious football schools like Bama easily trumps our rich bball tradition in recruiting these days. Zero chance Oats leaves Bama for Cuse.

Bingo. More and more of the best bball talent is down south, and the halo effect at prestigious football schools like Bama easily trumps our rich bball tradition in recruiting these days. Zero chance Oats leaves Bama for Cuse.
It’s so easy to see. But people are in denial. This job is going to be a tough fill. 10-15 years ago different story. But there are a lot of negatives here the least of which are comp and following a legend. This is why the transition will be an internal hire first.

It’s so easy to see. But people are in denial. This job is going to be a tough fill. 10-15 years ago different story. But there are a lot of negatives here the least of which are comp and following a legend. This is why the transition will be an internal hire first.

No, it isn't. The Dome. Attendance. Big budget. We are one of the biggest earning programs in the NCAA. We are in a recruiting hotbed, the NYC to DC corridor. This program will be fine. Need I remind you that Roy Danforth once made a Final Four at this school?

Basketball talent will always be in NYC area and New England prep schools.

Talent won’t be an issue like it is for football.

Our coach has to be invested in recruiting year in and year out and not shut down recruiting a position just because.

This isn’t true. There's plenty of northern schools that are successful right now. Providence is 13-1 ffs and they have nothing of anything.

The two best conferences this year are in the north. BE and Big 10.

I have no idea how this will play out, but I am certain that HC compensation will not be an issue.

People might be in denial about Oats coming here, but I disagree with the rest.

Coaching is an ego-driven profession. Any proven head coach worthy of landing at a program with our tradition will look at the foundational pieces of the puzzle -- the biggest hoops arena in college basketball, the Melo center, the ACC, the rabid fanbase that travels well, the opportunity to be on TV 25+ times every season -- and believe that they can leverage these advantages to get things back on track quickly.

Financials will NOT be an issue.

If a candidate is worried about following a legend, then we don't want them.

The only -- and I mean ONLY -- way there will be an internal hire first is if JB retires unexpectedly at the 11th hour, handcuffing the AD. In which case, said internal hire will be slapped with the "interim" label, and summarily replaced when the AD has time to do due diligence.

No, it isn't. The Dome. Attendance. Big budget. We are one of the biggest earning programs in the NCAA. We are in a recruiting hotbed, the NYC to DC corridor. This program will be fine. Need I remind you that Roy Danforth once made a Final Four at this school?
Oh FFS. Most of us weren’t even alive when that happened. How in the world is that pertinent in 2022?

Oh FFS. Most of us weren’t even alive when that happened. How in the world is that pertinent in 2022?
Nah, it's just that success at SU isn't limited to JAB. It can be had by other coaches.

I'll be disappointed in an internal hire, I'll be disappointed in JAB lingering on with more .500 seasons and 8-man rosters.

JW will be proven to be a good AD when his tenure is over.

He did a great job with the reorganization of both Men’s and Women’s lacrosse; he’s coming through with football and the Olympic sports are showing improvement.

He is honoring our female athletes which has been a travesty for way too long.

Facilities are improving and money is being raised for more.

His remaining huge task is Basketball, both mens and women’s. His decision to replace Hillsman with Coach Read was often criticized but Vaughn has shown he can motivate and coach. The remaining question is can he recruit ACC level talent?

The true elephant in the room is Men’s Basketball.
Whenever HCJB finally retires or is encouraged to leave; his replacement will be his final major exam! Hopefully that will be proven to be a home run move; after much nashing of teeth by many on this Board.

Last edited:

He did a great job with the reorganization of both Men’s and Women’s lacrosse; he’s coming through with football and the Olympic sports are showing improvement.

His remaining huge task is Basketball, both mens and women’s. His decision to replace Hillsman with Coach Read was often criticized but Vaughn has shown he can motivate and coach. The remaining question is can he recruit ACC level talent?

Whenever HCJB finally retires or is encouraged to leave; his replacement will be his final major exam! Hopefully that will be proven to be a home run move; after much mashing of teeth by many on this Board.
gnashing

Whenever HCJB finally retires or is encouraged to leave; his replacement will be his final major exam! Hopefully that will be proven to be a home run move; after much mashing of teeth by many on this Board.
Coming through with football may be a tad premature.

What are the negatives? Let's hear your list...

Gotta love the folks here that , no matter what good is occurring still put on their Scrooge hats and dance about looking for the next thing to complain about!

The problem with the Alabama job is that it’s in Alabama.
Disagree, it will not be easy to lure Oats back to NY. He's already getting recruits with better weather and lower taxes. Hes gone and doubt he would want to come back to upstate NY, he might even say the problem with the Syracuse job is that its in NY, who knows?

Ive made the drive from Tuscaloosa to Atlanta. It doesn't look much different than Rochester to Albany along the thruway

Disagree, it will not be easy to lure Oats back to NY. He's already getting recruits with better weather and lower taxes. Hes gone and doubt he would want to come back to upstate NY, he might even say the problem with the Syracuse job is that its in NY, who knows?

Ive made the drive from Tuscaloosa to Atlanta. It doesn't look much different than Rochester to Albany along the thruway
And I'm sure that if there facilities don't exceed ours already, they will shortly. That does not include the dome. But to think of the money going into that school towards the football program wouldn't extend to the hoops team if they make a decent run this season in the NCAAs, you all are nuts.

What would we have to pay him to match his current salary in real dollars with the difference in taxes and cost of living?

Times are changing my friends. Notice which schools are winning all recruiting wars now?
Why so fatalistic, AZ? You really think we’re just going to be resigned to mediocrity and worse going forward? I see two small northeast programs that we dominated for decades, Seton Hall and Providence, in the top 25. Come on, man. You don’t think a program of our stature and with our resources can compete with those tiny programs? There are plenty of recruits and good players to go around. You just need a good coach and staff to bring them in, construct a competitive and cohesive roster, and coach them up.

That's you. I'd never live in the south. Not everyone has the same reasons for living places.

Perhaps we at least wait and see what happens before saying something may or may not be done? I am not hearing people saying that they have insiders feedback and Oats is saying he has zero interest. I am hearing better weather and lower taxes and that Alabama has football? Alabama is hot as balls, gets hurricanes, floods and gets tornadoes. Per the World Population Review it has a Quality of Life Rating of 49 out of 50 states. It's economy rank is 45. It's healthcare is ranked 46th and education is 50th dead effin last! Alabama is literally by measure one of the worst places to live in the United states. Lastly I believe he is getting paid $3.2 million. Not $4 mill, not $5 mill, not 7 or 8 mill. JW could pay this guy easily enough money unless Alabama uses their vaunted football money to take him into the stratosphere.

Syracuse recruited and played black athletes way before southern schools did, out of necessity and in order to win! The culture and history of the university should make us a prime target for the top players in the country, if we realize that and use it in a positive manner to recruit top player. Consider your life experience if you are a black person off campus in many southern states.
Many may not wish to acknowledge this or come up with faux counter points to debate this; in doing so you are merely revealing your true beliefs and if you are ok with that have at it!

To be a top program we must do everything that is honorable to restore our program to where it belongs, one of the top Hoops programs in the country!

And I'm sure that if there facilities don't exceed ours already, they will shortly. That does not include the dome. But to think of the money going into that school towards the football program wouldn't extend to the hoops team if they make a decent run this season in the NCAAs, you all are nuts.

What would we have to pay him to match his current salary in real dollars with the difference in taxes and cost of living?

Perhaps we at least wait and see what happens before saying something may or may not be done? I am not hearing people saying that they have insiders feedback and Oats is saying he has zero interest. I am hearing better weather and lower taxes and that Alabama has football? Alabama is hot as balls, gets hurricanes, floods and gets tornadoes. Per the World Population Review it has a Quality of Life Rating of 49 out of 50 states. It's economy rank is 45. It's healthcare is ranked 46th and education is 50th dead effin last! Alabama is literally by measure one of the worst places to live in the United states. Lastly I believe he is getting paid $3.2 million. Not $4 mill, not $5 mill, not 7 or 8 mill. JW could pay this guy easily enough money unless Alabama uses their vaunted football money to take him into the stratosphere.

When you're making millions none of that stuff matters, he's a in a bubble just like Saban and their donor class is.

Syracuse recruited and played black athletes way before southern schools did, out of necessity and in order to win! The culture and history of the university should make us a prime target for the top players in the country, if we realize that and use it in a positive manner to recruit top player. Consider your life experience if you are a black person off campus in many southern states.
Many may not wish to acknowledge this or come up with faux counter points to debate this; in doing so you are merely revealing your true beliefs and if you are ok with that have at it!

To be a top program we must do everything that is honorable to restore our program to where it belongs, one of the top Hoops programs in the country!
Have you seen our current roster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom