Does playing 100% zone(except when we press) have an effect on recruiting? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does playing 100% zone(except when we press) have an effect on recruiting?

Does playing 100% zone affect recruiting?

• No, it has zero effect

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Haven't read the thread.

It does hurt your NBA stock. Former Suns exec said on a podcast they try and stay away from Cuse players because of the zone.

Of course you can point to certain players doing well or getting drafted high but maybe showing of their m2m skills would get them drafted higher or being an actual impact instead of a G league to Europe player.
When have the Suns been concerned with defense? If someone is athletic enough with quick feet and great lateral movement then they can play any defensive scheme.

It couldn’t just be he’s a great defender? Where are the rest of the zone players? Just the one?
He’s also a great athlete. That should never be underestimated.

When have the Suns been concerned with defense? If someone is athletic enough with quick feet and great lateral movement then they can play any defensive scheme.

Well that doesn't seem to be the thought process of at least one front offense and I doubt they're the only one.

Not as much as knowing you won't play as long as Girard and Buddy are on the team no matter how good you are.

Haven't read the thread.

It does hurt your NBA stock. Former Suns exec said on a podcast they try and stay away from Cuse players because of the zone.

Of course you can point to certain players doing well or getting drafted high but maybe showing of their m2m skills would get them drafted higher or being an actual impact instead of a G league to Europe player.

Yea ... I mentioned this a few weeks back .. they referred to them as “traffic cops”
Right or wrong .. they downgrade SU players

If we know this ... other programs of course know this ... if they know this ... of course they will use it against us ... why wouldn’t they ?

Will it effect our ability to land top recruits .. to a significant degree ? All logic would state that it should .. the results don’t seem to contradict this conclusion

Now SHOULD it effect recruiting is a different question..

And DOES it hurt your defensive performance at the pro level (NBA or otherwise ) ... I seriously doubt any of us is qualified to answer that

Not as much as knowing you won't play as long as Girard and Buddy are on the team no matter how good you are.
It’ll be interesting what happens with Kadary in the off season and the beginning of next year.
We hear coach talk about “good practices”, I don’t see any way possible Girard out performs Kadary in practice.

It’ll be interesting what happens with Kadary in the off season and the beginning of next year.
We hear coach talk about “good practices”, I don’t see any way possible Girard out performs Kadary in practice.
Disagree. With the way this team defends, Girard could go off every day in practice.

In the last game I watched it sure looked like a lot of M2M defense being played inside that zone.

Really well done with "effect" in the thread title, and "affect" in the poll question (I think).

the goldbergs beverly goldberg GIF by TV Land

I don’t see how a recruit could look at our zone and say, “Oh, yeah—that’s for me. I want to chase the faster ball, be manipulated out of position by a simple pass, be too late to contest a corner 3 even though I am a 2 on the other side, and then get bitched at and yanked after 30 seconds.”

I don't think it affects draft position, scouts can see if a guy has the tools to play pro defense, but I think other coaches negatively recruit by telling guys it hurts them.

I wonder how much we recruit to the zone and if that affects us more. We didn't used to specifically recruit to it as much as it seems we do now. Would we have recruited Flynn around the time we recruited MCW or would we recruit AO now?

What concerns me most about recruiting, is the assertion from guys in the know that JB has gotten lazy with it and that our consistently poor performance is giving elite guys a reason to not even consider us.

Not that I have inside knowledge but I would certainly believe that certain kids absolutely would not consider Syracuse because of the zone. It could be for any number of reasons...they have never played it, their handlers talk badly about it, coaches spin it against us during recruitment. The top kids all want to go where they will play and where they have the best shot to get to the next level...but at the end of day I do think the exclusive zone is another variable in the equation for kids to think about when weighing the pros and cons of Syracuse

Every one of these 18 year old 4-5 star recruits see themselves playing in the NBA and playing 100% zone in college is seen as a negative so it definitely discourages some kids from playing at SU. Other coaches use it as a recruiting tool against SU. It would be so easy to mix in some M2M especially when team are lighting us up from 3 when the zone is not working. This would help recruiting and maybe win a few more games but the old man won't change his ways and we are stuck with 100% zone. Mediocre trams the last 6-7 years, fear of getting in the dog house or on the short leash, coaches son who is guaranteed 37 minutes a game at the shooting guard spot whether he is hitting or not, a coach who can't relate to his players and yes zone 100% of the time are all hurting recruitment.

If you want to learn how to be a physician would you go to medical school or law school?

I think it's definitely had an effect but I don't think it's the biggest factor

Major on the types of recruits we get for center. Feels like JB fell in love with the way BMK played defense, so we go after those types now. At the cost of offensive basketball players for that position.

It's also led to us recruiting combo guards who should never have been expected to be able to play the point in power 5 conferences.
Would an elite high school center come here and play zone exclusively with responsibility to challenge corner shooters all game long?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom