Does SU football really have an aging fanbase? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does SU football really have an aging fanbase?

How old are you SU football fan???

• 1-20

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 21-39

Votes: 61 48.4%
  • 40-Infinity

Votes: 62 49.2%
  • I didn't know U of syracuse had a football club

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
old enough to have seen DC punch my friend in the side of the head outside of Sutter's

I don't believe it--couldn't find it anywhere online. Therefore it never happened. What do you take us for?

I used to knit at games but my arthritis got so bad I stay home :crazy:

I can see the fickle fanbase through my wife, she loved going to games in the mid nineties, hates them now. A good offense never hurts either

Big difference when you have kids and I am sure that falls into her thinking. I have 2 myself and I can say that before we had kids we used to go to every game and make a day of it. Now with kids, sports, activities they are in as they get older, it makes it harder to commit and I know that my wife doesnt enjoy the football as much as she used too (unless we go alone then she loves it). Hoops is different. 2 and a half hours you are there and back.

People with babies or younger kids dont know how hard it is to commit to a 4 hour Saturday when both of your kids are going in 2 different directions between soccer, football, hoops whatever. My kids are VERY active and we are always going in a million different ways in the fall. Tough to tell your kids I cant go to your game (or tell your wife and believe me my wife is the best) that I am going to the game and can the kids grab a ride with another parent or can you pull double duty and be in 2 places at once. Its not an aging fanbase. That excuse gets old. Its just my generation (I'm 42) have kids that are growing up and sometimes you just cant swing a game. Hard for a 23 year old to grasp (because I was there once) but reality sets in when you start having a family.

fanbase is not aging man. the old fans left at football games are dwindling in numbers every year. Although...they get more annoying even with less numbers haha

SU's fanbase makeup is probably like other fanbases whose team was dismal the past decade and is just coming out of a dark period. To get fans, you need excitement and wins. GRob's teams pretty much made those attributes extinct. If you look at the attendance in the late 80s and early 90s, there is a correlation between wins and attendance but a bit of a lag. Attendance didn't automatically jump up in '87 due to a great year. The attendance fruits of this year won't be felt until the next couple of years (provided the wins continue).

I have noted the majority of SU fb fans I've met are old men who smell like broccoli? I'm wondering how old are you SU football fan? please this is serious scientific inquiry

I don't see many SU fans under 30 at the start of games nor after half-time. Most are ghosts who flicker through games. Noon games make them wake up too early and would require cutting beer time the night before. 4:00PM games means leaving tailgates or game day specials at bars way too early and night games mean leaving early to get ready for a night others can remind them of. Ever watch the student section dissipate after half-time?

There's a young guy who sits in the row ahead of me - gets there about 2 minutes after the game starts with 2 beers in tow, leaves after half-time every game. I asked him once where he goes after half-time (actually wondered if he sat somewhere else each game) and he replied "places to go, people to see, can't waste all day at a game". Okay.

Of course then there's the old guy across the row from me who religiously attends each game from start to finish with his nose in a book (no lie) reading throughout the game. Huh?

By the way I'm older than dirt, so sit down, get off my lawn, and kids should be seen and not heard. Get it!:p

40 to infinity? Really? Couldn't you have made at least one more category? I just turned 44!!! yesterday for the first time. Next year, I will turn 44+1.

I don't see many SU fans under 30 at the start of games nor after half-time. Most are ghosts who flicker through games. Noon games make them wake up too early and would require cutting beer time the night before. 4:00PM games means leaving tailgates or game day specials at bars way too early and night games mean leaving early to get ready for a night others can remind them of. Ever watch the student section dissipate after half-time?

See, I just don't get this mentality. Then again, I am a big sports fan. When I was at SU, we partied just as hard as anyone on Friday nights. If it meant that I showed up for the game with a hangover, or still partially inebriated, so be it, but we were there for when the team came out of the tunnel.

40 to infinity? Really? Couldn't you have made at least one more category? I just turned 44!!! yesterday for the first time. Next year, I will turn 44+1.
Damn it I wanted to be the only 44. We meet tomorrow on the field of valor two go in and only one 44 emerges.

Damn it I wanted to be the only 44. We meet tomorrow on the field of valor two go in and only one 44 emerges.
Hate to break it to you, but two of my SU roommates have turned 44 in the last two weeks as well.

Younger than I would have guessed. "Don't trust anyone under 50!"

Maybe cuz it's on the fancy interwebs and the older folk are waiting for this question to be asked in the post standard!

Hate to break it to you, but two of my SU roommates have turned 44 in the last two weeks as well.
OK all Syracuse Fans having achieved the age of 44 in the previous 12 months must enter the field of valor with their weapon of choice to engage in glorious battle, for the can only be ONE 44.

OK all Syracuse Fans having achieved the age of 44 in the previous 12 months must enter the field of valor with their weapon of choice to engage in glorious battle, for the can only be ONE 44.
But, won't everyone who is killed be 44 forever? The victor will be the One 44 for just a short while. Oh, irony!

30, wife is 29 and we have a baby girl who came home in SU gear (kinda like an arranged marriage, she will be a Cuse fan).

My wife knew zippo about football 5 years ago, I have been slowly bringing her up to speed and now she knows more than my friends. It is hamazing. She can even point out cover 2 & 3 when we are at games. Working on teaching her safety tendencies and what Ryan is looking for.

I'm 27 (became a fan in the early 90s when my dad only allowed me to watch the VHS Orange and Blue '92), my old man who is also on the board celebrated his 49th birthday for the 12th consecutive year. We both are alumni as well.