Does this statement by Cantor worry you? | Syracusefan.com

Does this statement by Cantor worry you?

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
"We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC, a region in which we have built strong identity and affinity, and we look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple," she said.

I know we will all miss the rivalry with the Gtown's, but also look forward to new ones with the Duke's and UNC's. Does that statement make you wonder if those big games will get moved to MSG? If so, that means we will be trading the Gtown's in the Dome for the Clemson's. Not as exciting. I hope the idea isn't to now drive down Dome attendance at basketball games as they have done with football.

It definitely worries me. I can only hope they're talking about the occasional game and maybe the ACC Tourney eventually, and not all of our major conference games. I would think they'd see the negative reaction to the decision to move many of our big football games to NYC and realize that if they start taking ALL of the games away from CNY, it's just going to piss off the locals.

Absolutely- I was surprised nobody pointed that out earlier. Given how much money we make on basketball at the Dome I wouldn't expect them to do it very often. But even giving up one premiere conference matchup per year in the Dome would be a blow.

I know we will all miss the rivalry with the Gtown's, but also look forward to new ones with the Duke's and UNC's. Does that statement make you wonder if those big games will get moved to MSG? If so, that means we will be trading the Gtown's in the Dome for the Clemson's. Not as exciting. I hope the idea isn't to now drive down Dome attendance at basketball games as they have done with football

Hmmmm ... good thought. Especially since it is very clear that the ACC took SU for the NYC influence. That would be a real blow to local fans.

I would hope that we'll have games at MSG, but it would be stupid if we play Duke there. Let's maintain our home court advantage - Duke may be one of the few teams where we wouldn't have that so strongly.

"We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC, a region in which we have built strong identity and affinity, and we look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple," she said.

I know we will all miss the rivalry with the Gtown's, but also look forward to new ones with the Duke's and UNC's. Does that statement make you wonder if those big games will get moved to MSG? If so, that means we will be trading the Gtown's in the Dome for the Clemson's. Not as exciting. I hope the idea isn't to now drive down Dome attendance at basketball games as they have done with football.
If so, will we play Duke in Greensboro instead of that high school gym in Durham?

That doesn't really worry me--why would Syracuse have to bear that cross on behalf of the ACC? I think she probably just meant ACC tournament, reading her quote.

I get that SU might want to expand the brand tentacles into NYC, but I can't imagine that sacrificing home games it the way to do it.

33,000+ in the Dome, or 18,000+ in MSG.

Unless they're planning on playing in Giants Stadium?

What context was this used in? It seems like it could be quite a few things:

- They're really considering moving conference games to the NYC Metro area
- It's a stupid 'Orange in the Apple' marketing quote
- It's reference to using SU's relationship with MSG and moving MSG into the ACC tourney rotation
- Something like an ACC/B1G challenge game?

I hope is not the first point. Even being down in NYC, it just doesn't seem right to move conference home games to off-site locations 5 hours from campus. I do think it could be a cool idea to host and B1G challenge game in MSG or the new Jay-Z Center.

If Gross and Cantor do that all hell is gonna break loose, its one thing to move a football game its another to move a Cuse vs Duke UNC in basketball at the Dome. Unforgiveable.

33,000+ in the Dome, or 18,000+ in MSG.

Unless they're planning on playing in Giants Stadium?

Yes worrisome, but with these numbers staring at SU officials, it would be a no brainer to keep the bigger games at home in the dome. It's almost like financial suicide if they send them to the big city.

She was just yapping, not at all on the hoops side.

I think you're all overanalyzing this. I think she meant bringing ACC games to NYC via TV. Afterall, a big reason the ACC wanted SU was for the NYC market - AKA putting games on tv in a city of 8+ million people

geeze bees, paranoid? Agree with Bayside, she was yapping. Can't see them moving home games to NYC on the hoops side. A few football games in the Meadowlands and you come unraveled

I can't see that happening. It doesn't make sense for a number of reasons, mostly revenue. If SU moves a home game to MSG, they get nearly half the attendance (33k vs 18k), plus they have to pay MSG for use of the arena.

geeze bees, paranoid? Agree with Bayside, she was yapping. Can't see them moving home games to NYC on the hoops side. A few football games in the Meadowlands and you come unraveled

Past history might say otherwise.

And a few? 15 is more than a few where I went to school. Hopefully she means TV.

I noticed it too. Plus what a great way to eliminate a big home court advantage. Unless, for instance, Duke uses MSG as their home game... I suppose that is unlikely but can't be ruled out.

Overall this leads to larger questions:
The entire "Orange in the Apple" and "New York's College Team" marketing campaigns. What is the purpose?

If you agree that the ACC or Big 10 was the right place for SU then Dr. Gross could be looked at as a genius because the entire NYC thrust was then just a campaign to convince other conferences that the NYC market belonged to SU. It clearly worked if you look at all the NYC references in the ACC conference call and the fact that they snubbed Rutgers and UConn, both of which are closer to NYC.

So, if the entire prupose of this was to make an SU-NYC connection to ensure major conferences wanted us, then as soon as the new ACC TV deal is signed then we can abandon the whole effort. At that point, the university can save the money and will have little incentive to play games at MSG.

If the purpose of the campaign is of longer duration, then there will be significant effort to get us into MSG and Barclays for basketball just like they are trying to get into Meadowlands and Yankee Standium for football. I hope this is the case, but the question becomes "how much NYC is enough NYC". Many teams play a game or two at MSG in the preseason, it doesn't make them NYC's College Team. SU loses between 2 and 5 games at MSG with the loss of the BET and St. John's games. How will this be made up? I'm in favor of an "Old East" preseason event that gets us two MSG games against former Big East rivals, plus a preseason NIT, CvsC type event. I am not thrilled with giving up bigtime games at the dome.

This will be interesting to say the least.

I can't imagine we would give up a Home Conference basketball game and willingly elect to play it in a road environment. Tough enough to beat UNC or Duke as it is without playing our home game against them on the road.

Don't you think she is just overplaying our NY presence? Syracuse by virtue of being an ACC member and playing in the ACC is bringing ACC basketball to NYC because Syracuse is NYC's team, even when it plays in the Carrier Dome.

Football games went on the road because we are working from a point of weakness as was the BE conference. Syracuse basketball is not working from that point of weakness.

I noticed it too. Plus what a great way to eliminate a big home court advantage. Unless, for instance, Duke uses MSG as their home game... I suppose that is unlikely but can't be ruled out.

Overall this leads to larger questions:
The entire "Orange in the Apple" and "New York's College Team" marketing campaigns. What is the purpose?

If you agree that the ACC or Big 10 was the right place for SU then Dr. Gross could be looked at as a genius because the entire NYC thrust was then just a campaign to convince other conferences that the NYC market belonged to SU. It clearly worked if you look at all the NYC references in the ACC conference call and the fact that they snubbed Rutgers and UConn, both of which are closer to NYC.

So, if the entire prupose of this was to make an SU-NYC connection to ensure major conferences wanted us, then as soon as the new ACC TV deal is signed then we can abandon the whole effort. At that point, the university can save the money and will have little incentive to play games at MSG.

If the purpose of the campaign is of longer duration, then there will be significant effort to get us into MSG and Barclays for basketball just like they are trying to get into Meadowlands and Yankee Standium for football. I hope this is the case, but the question becomes "how much NYC is enough NYC". Many teams play a game or two at MSG in the preseason, it doesn't make them NYC's College Team. SU loses between 2 and 5 games at MSG with the loss of the BET and St. John's games. How will this be made up? I'm in favor of an "Old East" preseason event that gets us two MSG games against former Big East rivals, plus a preseason NIT, CvsC type event. I am not thrilled with giving up bigtime games at the dome.

This will be interesting to say the least.

I think the purpose of the campaign probably started out as outreach to the NY alum base morphed into a strategy for building our resume for other conferences and will continue because the greater our brand is in NYC the better. I would be shocked if the strategy included moving home conference basketball game to NYC.

Any game SU plays in MSG against anybody would bring the ACC to NYC. I don't think she necessarily means anything more. But like a politician, she never seems to express things with complete clarity.

Moving more than occasional games of meaning to MSG will mark the end of a couple of careers on the Hill.

You are a mess...

Tough to respond to posts that make no sense. A "few"? I'm also not the only one wondering what she is talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX

stupid thread

in the ACC they play conference games on campus

I think this is a very interesting discussion, at least in terms of our NYC presence. I really do want MSG to be our home away from home and for us to play there regularly. I think it is valid to discuss how this can be accomplished. Syracuse and MSG can go together like Syracuse and the Big East did and that adds a lot of credibility to the program when you have two major "homes": the largest on campus arena in the country, and the most famous basketball arena in the country. The goal should be for SU to routinely play more regular season games in MSG than any other non-St.John's team. This means 3 - 4 per year in my opinion. Ways to accomplish this:

1. Play in one 2 game tournament event per year at MSG (like Preseason NIT, etc). (combine with #2, 3, or 4)
2. Initiate a new event there with 2 or 3 games (preferably against old Big East Rivals). (combine with #1, 3, or 4)
3. Play St. Johns but always at MSG (or a 2 for 1 with 2 MSG, 1 dome) (combine with #1, 2, or 4)
4. Play a conference game there (maybe you play a mid level ACC opponent there, not a marquee matchup?)
5. Not regular season, but move the ACC Tournament to MSG.

Item 4 is the point of this thread. It seems unlikely because on top of the fan outrage over losing a Duke/UNC game at the dome (which may be rare already), you have to rent out the building AND lose the ticket revenue from the dome which would put 35,000 in the seats for those games. A mid level opponent at MSG runs the risk of not selling out which would be counter productive.

I strongly support item #2, I just think that would be awesome and would really soften the negatives of leaving the Big East. We'll see what happens... I think we know for sure that nothing can be ruled out anymore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom