Does this win translate into recruiting success? | Syracusefan.com

Does this win translate into recruiting success?

ethoo18

Walk On
Feel free to drop your opinions below. Honestly, feel like this was a huge boost to our chances of getting Isaiah Stewart as Duke is seen as the leader in his recruitment.

No. Single wins dont change that landscape. Multiple wins in a certain tourny does!

i know i'm biased as a life-long SU fan - but the post-game press conferences gotta be in SU's favor - at least in a Duke vs SU recruiting matchup - much rather play for a coach like JB.

Feel free to drop your opinions below. Honestly, feel like this was a huge boost to our chances of getting Isaiah Stewart as Duke is seen as the leader in his recruitment.

I find it difficult to believe that a prospect would be swayed by the outcome of a single game, relative to other factors.

But it probably doesn't hurt.

You can answer your own question by asking yourself how the 2003 NC helped our recruiting.

Fans live and die on the results of each game. Recruits are looking at more structural things. To be sure, high profile wins are nice, but recruits care more about playing time, system fit, chemistry, program stability/trajectory, location, facilities, etc.

I mean, would people think recruiting took a huge hit on the basis of the Georgia Tech game, alone? Of course not - upsets happen, in both directions, over the course of a season. Fans feel that acutely - the highs and lows - but recruits are more likely to take it in stride.

i know i'm biased as a life-long SU fan - but the post-game press conferences gotta be in SU's favor - at least in a Duke vs SU recruiting matchup - much rather play for a coach like JB.

Yeah because recruits are definitely watching the post game press conferences held by each team recruiting them. I consider myself a super fan hanging on every morsel JB drops and I often have a hard time sitting through ours.

Yeah because recruits are definitely watching the post game press conferences held by each team recruiting them. I consider myself a super fan hanging on every morsel JB drops and I often have a hard time sitting through ours.
I mean I don't think it is an top of the list, make or break part of the decision-making process for a recruit - but I meant what the press conferences reveal about the personality of the coaches - JB is likable, funny, charismatic (or cantankerous, etc after losses) - either way if you're a player you gotta be around the coach and hopefully like his personality. never meant it as something a coach could "win" in a competitive sense just that the personality side of a coach has to matter to recruits and maybe its just cuz I am an SU fan - but I thought JB was pretty funny and charismatic in the Duke post game - and that that couldnt hurt i.e. recruiting.

personally i would love to play for a coach that finds a way to call charles barkley a fatso in a press conference...but every recruit is different.

I mean I don't think it is an top of the list, make or break part of the decision-making process for a recruit - but I meant what the press conferences reveal about the personality of the coaches - JB is likable, funny, charismatic (or cantankerous, etc after losses) - either way if you're a player you gotta be around the coach and hopefully like his personality. never meant it as something a coach could "win" in a competitive sense just that the personality side of a coach has to matter to recruits and maybe its just cuz I am an SU fan - but I thought JB was pretty funny and charismatic in the Duke post game - and that that couldnt hurt i.e. recruiting.

personally i would love to play for a coach that finds a way to call charles barkley a fatso in a press conference...but every recruit is different.

I'd say you are way off here. Coach K has been built into an icon, a "leader of men" and all that. Boeheim is the guy who doesn't ever want a kid to get paid and sand bags their draft stock when he's mad they are leaving early (again this all perception). K wins every battle with JB if the kids don't know them personally. Additionally, one of the things that happened during the Duke game and have been getting publicity places other than here would be much more likely to move the needle in today's world with respect to the coaches reputations.

I'd say you are way off here. Coach K has been built into an icon, a "leader of men" and all that. Boeheim is the guy who doesn't ever want a kid to get paid and sand bags their draft stock when he's mad they are leaving early (again this all perception). K wins every battle with JB if the kids don't know them personally. Additionally, one of the things that happened during the Duke game and have been getting publicity places other than here would be much more likely to move the needle in today's world with respect to the coaches reputations.
Sure - coach K has more cache and higher status etc - and is way ahead of basically everyone even calipari now in recruiting cuz of his brand - i'm just saying merely from a PERSONALITY standpoint - i just think that JB has that likable funny side that K doesnt. K is ex army - and it shows, imo. pretty stiff guy. not saying that ultimately moves the needle for recruits just a small thing that i noticed and that cant hurt - but you're right basically inconsequential in the big picture battle of recruiting.

I don't know that Duke is seen as the leader in Stewart's recruitment right now. I think beating Duke always helps and scoring a lot of points really helps but doesn't move the needle a lot.

The fact that we can’t land a top big in multiple cycles given the continued availability of immediate playing time says a lot about this staff’s ability to sell and recruit.

The fact that we can’t land a top big in multiple cycles given the continued availability of immediate playing time says a lot about this staff’s ability to sell and recruit.
you are of course free to spin & interpret the recruiting data any way you want. but i see it differently.
to repeat:
syracuse had a mcdonald's all american center on the roster every year from 2011 to 2017
taurean thompson was recruited as the heir apparent in that run. he was not a burger boy, but his last four offers before signing with syracuse are a testament to his perceived quality at the time: arizona, uconn, kansas, michigan state. this staff beat them all out. the fact that taurean flaked out doesn't change the fact that he was a top flight, in-demand recruit.
bourama was not as highly sought after, but he held multiple offers from p5 programs.

you are of course free to spin & interpret the recruiting data any way you want. but i see it differently.
to repeat:
syracuse had a mcdonald's all american center on the roster every year from 2011 to 2017
taurean thompson was recruited as the heir apparent in that run
. he was not a burger boy, but his last four offers before signing with syracuse are a testament to his perceived quality at the time: arizona, uconn, kansas, michigan state. this staff beat them all out. the fact that taurean flaked out doesn't change the fact that he was a top flight, in-demand recruit.
bourama was not as highly sought after, but he held multiple offers from p5 programs.

Just as you're free to spew that we recruited Thompson as the "heir apparent" at the 5 spot. Thompson was listed in the majority of recruiting services I recall as a PF, not a C. His recruiting thread here listed him at PF I believe as well. We weren't recruiting Thompson as the "heir apparent" to Christmas or Coleman.

Yes, Coleman was a Mickey D, but shortly after he arrived on the Hill, he had the serious knee issue and major surgery, and he was a shell of himself afterwards. It is why we went hard at the #5 spot even while Coleman was on the roster, remember Thomas Bryant? But go ahead and "spin" our failed attempts in landing a top guy at the 5 spot as you wish, but I also see it differently, no offense of course.

No. Single wins dont change that landscape. Multiple wins in a certain tourny does!

No wonder we've sucked. We couldnt even get a single win in it until last season.

Just as you're free to spew that we recruited Thompson as the "heir apparent" at the 5 spot. Thompson was listed in the majority of recruiting services I recall as a PF, not a C. His recruiting thread here listed him at PF I believe as well. We weren't recruiting Thompson as the "heir apparent" to Christmas or Coleman.

Yes, Coleman was a Mickey D, but shortly after he arrived on the Hill, he had the serious knee issue and major surgery, and he was a shell of himself afterwards. It is why we went hard at the #5 spot even while Coleman was on the roster, remember Thomas Bryant? But go ahead and "spin" our failed attempts in landing a top guy at the 5 spot as you wish, but I also see it differently, no offense of course.

I'm liking your post, but with an asterisk. I really enjoy Moqui's posts(and avatars!!), and he is far from the only person who has tried to use TT as equity in their posts about the 5, and I am not doubting you will agree with me. I just wanted to clarify that for all of our sake. That said, with all the praise folks are giving TT in these arguments, they seem to be forgetting his defensive play...which was mentioned maybe more often than anything during his brief tenure with the Cuse. At best, he was seen as a mixed bag then, and mysteriously is gaining traction in some of these arguments after he left. I wasn't one who ever brought that up either, just reminding folks of what was. Then we get back into the lack of(or slow) development of bigs once they were here. Heck, BMK was the guy I rooted hardest for for some time.

I'm liking your post, but with an asterisk. I really enjoy Moqui's posts(and avatars!!), and he is far from the only person who has tried to use TT as equity in their posts about the 5, and I am not doubting you will agree with me. I just wanted to clarify that for all of our sake. That said, with all the praise folks are giving TT in these arguments, they seem to be forgetting his defensive play...which was mentioned maybe more often than anything during his brief tenure with the Cuse. At best, he was seen as a mixed bag then, and mysteriously is gaining traction in some of these arguments after he left. I wasn't one who ever brought that up either, just reminding folks of what was. Then we get back into the lack of(or slow) development of bigs once they were here. Heck, BMK was the guy I rooted hardest for for some time.

I hear ya. What's the next such argument, that that is why we brought in Dolezaj here for? ;):) The fact that he is currently our starting center (all 180 lbs of him) speaks for itself relative to our recent recruiting shortcomings at the 5 spot.

If this month's announcement prognostications are correct, the answer to the original question is no.

taureans play on the court is a separate issue. the argument being made is that the staff is not capable of identifying, recruiting and signing quality bigs. the record clearly shows the opposite.

developing them . . . that is a whole different kettle of fish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom