Does Wilhack already have his target? | Syracusefan.com

Does Wilhack already have his target?

Crusty

Living Legend
I have watched his presser three times now and am, of course, doing my best Poirot imitation.

First, he said that if we had won both BC and GT we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Does this mean he made his decision after the BC fiasco in order to go after his target before anyone else.

His criteria was pretty specific and eliminated many of the names on national media lists.

The name that stands out to me is Bob Chesney Holy Cross. High character, strong NE background, leadership qualities, good development skills, good special teams, HC experience, good recruiter, highly respected. He also is immediately available before December 4th portal opening.

Small search committee- probably all big donors for speed. Probably already plugged in.

Also, several of his players are hitting the portal, which is suspicious- were they given a wink and a nod or a non-denial denial?

Chesney may also be one of the few, if not the only, coach amenable to keeping a few of our P5 coaches to ease transition.

All the SU coaches he mentioned not dissimilar prior lineage from Chesney.

We could do a LOT worse than Chesney and I guarantee you he will knock everybody's socks off at his presser.

Well, there you go - now back to regular programming.
New Era.
LGO!

I'm sure it's in the Chesney thread somewhere, but the ST reference was a good clue that Chesney is on his very short list.

I do look forward to the presser, it's almost always the best part about hiring a new coach. Especially if you're allowed to keep your eyes open during it.

One thing to keep in mind with Bob Chesney as i mentioned in the Chesney thread is there is 0-1% chance of Holy Cross matching what Syracuse can offer financially. He's a different cat from people i've spoken to about him and he's not looking to leave Holy Cross full stop. He's comfortable there, family loves it and there is a real community in that Worcester area. In other words, he's got maximum job security. Where BC would have a leg up is he theoretically could take his time moving his family into the Boston area from where he is now. We don't know if there's smoke signals coming from Chestnut Hill to wait it out for the time being. If he's hell bent on catholic schools he'd be foolish to jump at SU if BC is lurking (esp if they lose to Miami this weekend and then get smoked in the bowl...see Cuse 2004).

However, if Syracuse comes in at 2.5-3mm plus per annum for 5-6 years he has a life altering decision. I think one other factor I know is his wife was still working and perhaps with this gig she can make a decision on employment going forward. Again, things may have changed when they reupped him last year.

I'm sure it's in the Chesney thread somewhere, but the ST reference was a good clue that Chesney is on his very short list.

I do look forward to the presser, it's almost always the best part about hiring a new coach. Especially if you're allowed to keep your eyes open during it.
There's an old adage that says the two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it. I think hiring football coaches is very similar.

I have watched his presser three times now and am, of course, doing my best Poirot imitation.

First, he said that if we had won both BC and GT we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Does this mean he made his decision after the BC fiasco in order to go after his target before anyone else.

His criteria was pretty specific and eliminated many of the names on national media lists.

The name that stands out to me is Bob Chesney Holy Cross. High character, strong NE background, leadership qualities, good development skills, good special teams, HC experience, good recruiter, highly respected. He also is immediately available before December 4th portal opening.

Small search committee- probably all big donors for speed. Probably already plugged in.

Also, several of his players are hitting the portal, which is suspicious- were they given a wink and a nod or a non-denial denial?

Chesney may also be one of the few, if not the only, coach amenable to keeping a few of our P5 coaches to ease transition.

We could do a LOT worse than Chesney and I guarantee you he will knock everybody's socks off at his presser.

New Era.
LGO!
All these players who entered the portal yesterday are Grad Transfers, Walkons or players whose coach was fired in the last 30 days. Ivy and Patriot League schools don't allow graduate students continued playing time.

The HC players hitting the portal are Grad transfers. No graduate programs at HC
It's not that they don't have graduate programs but rather the Patriot League and Ivy schools don't allow graduate students to continue playing. If they want to continue to play a sport they have to transfer.

New Era.
LGO!
He made the decision after Ga Tech, he told Dino before the season and reiterated after FSU that 7-5 was what he needed to be at minimum. Tech officially eliminated that from being possible. Considering how horrible we looked against BC and the four losses before that, you can be sure he was getting ready

He made the decision after Ga Tech, he told Dino before the season and reiterated after FSU that 7-5 was what he needed to be at minimum. Tech officially eliminated that from being possible. Considering how horrible we looked against BC and the four losses before that, you can be sure he was getting ready

Look at the hug Dino has with Narduzzi after the Pitt game, it was more than a good game bro type of thing, he knew...

It's not that they don't have graduate programs but rather the Patriot League and Ivy schools don't allow graduate students to continue playing. If they want to continue to play a sport they have to transfer.
Ok Fine Whatever GIF by MOODMAN

Personally, I don't think Wildhack has hired anyone yet. I mean who knows what calls came in Sunday as he stated, can't rule anything out.

Chesney with regard to BC, would make a ton of sense but they aren't looking for a coach and his stock is high right now, things change and if he wants to jump to a P5 now would be the time or he could be happy where he is at. But I doubt he's just waiting for the BC job

Personally, I don't think Wildhack has hired anyone yet. I mean who knows what calls came in Sunday as he stated, can't rule anything out.

Chesney with regard to BC, would make a ton of sense but they aren't looking for a coach and his stock is high right now, things change and if he wants to jump to a P5 now would be the time or he could be happy where he is at. But I doubt he's just waiting for the BC job

not saying he's waiting for it but in Sept that was the obvious thought process post the HC game and BC was totally falling apart. we don't know if there's a mutual love btw Blake James and Chesney. James didn't hire Hafley, something to keep in mind.

Again, it's all speculation. A bird in hand for Chesney might be enough from Syracuse. I'm just saying if there's a choice btw Syracuse and BC we're getting into the weeds of what is really important because the schools are very similar in many ways and very different in others.

I hope his tenure lasts longer than the Doug Marrone "this is my dream job" opening presser (repeated almost word for word a few years later in Buffalo).

I don’t know about y’all but i am enjoying all this who will it be??? The board is alive!!
agree. several times this year, i put myself in self imposed ban because I could not deal with the way we were losing (specifically the long field goal attempts). This is fun again. Not getting any real work done, but so what short week.