Does Wilhack already have his target? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Does Wilhack already have his target?

"We're not that far off" "This isn't a total re-boot"

Along with Coach Nunz becoming the interim coach to try & retain our NJ commits. And the mention of needing P5 Coordinator experience if no prior HC job has me thinking White is the obvious lean. Also a number of mentions on this forum referencing the respect JW has for TW. And Matt Rhule offering public comments on TW. It's hard for me to digest this ending any other way.

I think there is a strong contingent that would prefer we rebuild the foundation of this program. But a lot of folks on here were debating whether Rocky Long or Tony White were better at running the 3-3-5. But with their powers combined maybe it is a Captain Planet type scenario.

Okay, I'm done rambling. If I had to make a wager my money would be on TW. It's a difficult choice & I'm glad I'm not our AD.

There's an old adage that says the two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it. I think hiring football coaches is very similar.
For most boat owners it seems the happy day to sell is so they can buy a bigger boat.

richard dreyfuss jaws GIF

No.

He’s making a hire he hopes will succeed beyond his tenure. 2024 doesn’t matter versus what developed between 2024-26.

Seems like Tony White and Bob Chesney are the top two targets.
White and Chesney are great candidates but both have red flags - lack of P5 coaching experience w/ Chesney and lack HC experience with White.

ADJW is looking for someone to rebuild a losing, stagnant program. So does he go with the candidate who's a proven program builder - but done at a lower level w/ no experience in P5 football? Or does he go with the candidate who shows all the traits to be a program builder and who does have P5 experience & success - but it's been as a coordinator, not as a HC?

Hard call. I'd go with the proven program builder over the potential program builder, but I believe both men will end up being successful P5 head coaches somewhere. Will it be at Syracuse? Who does JW go with? Has he already decided? We'll know soon.

If Chesney is the hire I'm gonna barf. Then I know the expectations for playing big boy football are none.
Syracuse already plays big boy football - they're in a P5 conference. The goal is to be successful - to win consistently playing big boy football. And you need a great coach and/or loads of great talent to win at big boy football. SU isn't a selector school so it can't overwhelm its opponents with talent. It needs a great coach with great schemes who knows how to recruit the players he needs for his schemes to succeed. And great coaches can be found anywhere.

Riley found Erik Spoelstra in the Heat's video room editing game clips? There's obviously risk involved, but Chesney coming from Holy Cross doesn't preclude him from succeeding at big boy football. And hiring him doesn't mean that Wildhack's expectations for playing big boy football are nonexistent. Imho, it just means that JW is taking a riskier path to finding who he hopes will be a great coach and leader of a successful program in a big boy league.

Syracuse already plays big boy football - they're in a P5 conference. The goal is to be successful - to win consistently playing big boy football. And you need a great coach and/or loads of great talent to win at big boy football. SU isn't a selector school so it can't overwhelm its opponents with talent. It needs a great coach with great schemes who knows how to recruit the players he needs for his schemes to succeed. And great coaches can be found anywhere.

Riley found Erik Spoelstra in the Heat's video room editing game clips? There's obviously risk involved, but Chesney coming from Holy Cross doesn't preclude him from succeeding at big boy football. And hiring him doesn't mean that Wildhack's expectations for playing big boy football are nonexistent. Imho, it just means that JW is taking a riskier path to finding who he hopes will be a great coach and leader of a successful program in a big boy league.
Good post. Wildhack is a smart dude and I think he has studied our situation carefully and really believes his own BS, which in this case is probably very good. He knows NE recruiting and development of 3 star types is essential. He said "minimizing misses" is one way to build depth.
He also emphasized that this is not a rebuild. He said we are just missing a few things (depth for one).

Call me crazy but the only guy on the list who won't have to introduce himself to hundreds of NE high school coaches is Chesney.
GRob, Dougie and Shafer had no years long relationships and were never the 1st call. Same for Dino.
When Bob Beaudine does his vetting and he gets a chorus of cheers for Chesney from NE HS coaches the deal will be done.

It does not take a genius to know the single most important attribute for a CFB HC is recruiting ability. For Syracuse that means NE, Mid-Atlantic.

Wildhack has figured out that is where we went wrong with our previous hires and it us worth a shot trying a real NE guy.
I think he has something there.
Get ready for Chesney.

Of course he does have a target. A few of them. Coaches who he’s hoping to hit the lottery with that he doesn’t have to pay a boatload for. No one ever with a big name that has won and recruited well. That’s why Syracuse will never be anything special in football. As we all know already. Always someone from a lower conference who will be getting a raise from what they’re used to and never anyone good enough to put is consistently in the top 25. I don’t believe Syracuse doesn’t have the money to be a consistent top 25 program. They just don’t care enough.