Does Wilhack already have his target? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Does Wilhack already have his target?

Who is this clown
Every time someone uses this phrase, this is all I can think of now. Lol

Screenshot_2023-11-22-08-56-31-43_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Good post. Wildhack is a smart dude and I think he has studied our situation carefully and really believes his own BS, which in this case is probably very good. He knows NE recruiting and development of 3 star types is essential. He said "minimizing misses" is one way to build depth.
He also emphasized that this is not a rebuild. He said we are just missing a few things (depth for one).

Call me crazy but the only guy on the list who won't have to introduce himself to hundreds of NE high school coaches is Chesney.
GRob, Dougie and Shafer had no years long relationships and were never the 1st call. Same for Dino.
When Bob Beaudine does his vetting and he gets a chorus of cheers for Chesney from NE HS coaches the deal will be done.

It does not take a genius to know the single most important attribute for a CFB HC is recruiting ability. For Syracuse that means NE, Mid-Atlantic.

Wildhack has figured out that is where we went wrong with our previous hires and it us worth a shot trying a real NE guy.
I think he has something there.
Get ready for Chesney.
Lots of great points. I have no doubt that since the day he stepped on campus, Wildhack has been studying the program and preparing for the day he would have to hire his next football coach. I'm sure he's studied every element of SU's recruiting approach and how to improve it.

Coaching searches can be funny and teams don't always get their top choice or even their second or third choice. But I'm sure that whoever ADJW finally hires, he will provide him with a "strongly advised to follow" blueprint or plan on how to repair the program's current deficiencies.

Last edited:
He didn't "supposedly" make that statement. I heard it when he said it. Both times.
I watched both press conferences.

To be precise, during his SU press conference he stated that it was a dream of his to one day be the head coach at Syracuse University.

During his Buffalo Bills press conference, he first acknowledged that it was a dream of his to be the head coach at Syracuse University.

He went on to explain that it was also a dream of his to one day, become an NFL head coach.

It’s okay to have more than one “dream”

And the criticism over what he said is pretty much over the top.

To be precise, during his SU press conference he stated that it was a dream of his to one day be the head coach at Syracuse University.

During his Buffalo Bills press conference, he first acknowledged that it was a dream of his to be the head coach at Syracuse University.

He went on to explain that it was also a dream of his to one day, become an NFL head coach.

I think it’s more of a case that people loved the direction we were headed with Marrone and are were just disappointed we didn’t have our version of the basketball programs Boeheim so they will forever hold it against him.

Last edited:

Yep

It is just so stupid and as I and others have posted many times: every single person who slammed Marrone for leaving would have done the same thing when A. You will now be making way more money in the highest level of your profession and B. Your dream job turned out to not be a dream because you worked for two idiots who completely mismanaged the department you worked for and didn’t do the things promised to you when you took the job

It is just so stupid and as I and others have posted many times: every single person who slammed Marrone for leaving would have done the same thing when A. You will now be making way more money in the highest level of your profession and B. Your dream job turned out to not be a dream because you worked for two idiots who completely mismanaged the department you worked for and didn’t do the things promised to you when you took the job
Yep. I still don’t like how he did it because the timing of it basically screwed the new HC for that recruiting cycle and tanked the recruiting class. That part of it was totally unfair to the fan base. But leaving for a NFL gig and being unhappy with the management of Gross and Cantor I’ll never hold against him. Two completely self absorbed people if there ever was. I always thought it was hilarious how Gross employed his own wife on his staff and was able to get away with that. And Cantor’s overriding priority was her woke legacy.

Yep. I still don’t like how he did it because the timing of it basically screwed the new HC for that recruiting cycle and tanked the recruiting class. That part of it was totally unfair to the fan base. But leaving for a NFL gig and being unhappy with the management of Gross and Cantor I’ll never hold against him. Two completely self absorbed people if there ever was. I always thought it was hilarious how Gross employed his own wife on his staff and was able to get away with that. And Cantor’s overriding priority was her woke legacy.
Didn’t Nancy’s husband have a job with SU? Does Syverud’s wife have a job with SU?

Didn’t Nancy’s husband have a job with SU? Does Syverud’s wife have a job with SU?

And yes on cantors husband too who was also a professor.

This isn't unprecedented. it's called patronage. It's in every big operation.

I defer to the academics on here to tell me how bad Cantor was vs Eggars vs Shaw vs Sveryud. If someone mentions athletics the conversation ends immediately for me. That's a small piece of the university experience that most of us mouth breathers can understand.

The job of running a school i have no idea how Cantor did vs any of the other chancellors. Way beyond my understanding of college administration. if the barometer is US News and World Report then Shaw > Cantor > Sveryud