Dolezaj and Brissett... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dolezaj and Brissett...

So you won't answer my question?

Answer: I don't know, but I'd sure like to find out, because I'm a big fan of this kid's potential. And it is obvious that once his physical capabilities catch up to his hoops IQ and athleticism, then he's going to be a tremendous player -- possibly even an NBA prospect.

I didn't answer your question because I thought that the answer was readily obvious. If you are continuing to argue that an athlete who is physically underdeveloped and will have to tangle with much bigger, stronger ACC caliber players in the paint might not benefit from getting a little stronger, then this is a pretty pointless exchange.

There were a couple plays today where he lost the hall where he will probably hold on in a year or two as he gets stronger. on one he got an offensive rebound then basically had the ball taken from him as he tried to move into an offensive position.

This isn't an insult to marek - I would guess he agrees.

Agreed, on both counts.

Yeah... my bad, playing at 170 pounds at six-foot-nine is ideal at the high major collegiate hoops level. Silly me.
When he was shooting free throws, his arms looked like they had a bit more definition. Not much he can do about those narrow shoulders, though.

Answer: I don't know, but I'd sure like to find out, because I'm a big fan of this kid's potential. And it is obvious that once his physical capabilities catch up to his hoops IQ and athleticism, then he's going to be a tremendous player -- possibly even an NBA prospect.

I didn't answer your question because I thought that the answer was readily obvious. If you are continuing to argue that an athlete who is physically underdeveloped and will have to tangle with much bigger, stronger ACC caliber players in the paint might not benefit from getting a little stronger, then this is a pretty pointless exchange.

Agreed. Should be easy to see, frankly. The guy is making so many plays already based on hoops IQ, intangibles, etc. Once he gets stronger and can hold his ground/position more things will get even easier for him. He works hard apparently so I’m not worried about him.

Moyer apparently works hard too but not sure on what.

I was impressed not only with the offensive skill of both but also the tenacity on defense and on the boards. Seeing forwards attack the basket and defend the rim is something I've missed dearly.

Idk bout ya'll but I'm excited

I wish you guys would stop it with the 10-15 lb chant - let the player decide how he can get better.

Small sample size, here, but in the Nineties I signed up at Gold's Gym in Liverpool when tall and thin in my Twenties. After a month, I put on 15 pounds . Didn't look much different, but I went from bench pressing 90 pounds (in reps of 15) to 160 in that time, and was so much stronger and durable in many ways.

Sure, it's not guaranteed Marek will Shaq Diesel his way to the Final Four, but it must hurt like hell to get banged around by that Angolan guy trying to karate chop the rim off the board. During pick-up hoops games at Gold's, I got hit hard enough by some of those (or some of you) 5-foot-8 Hooligan's beer chugging clowns.

So maybe it's that first 10 or 15 pounds that matters the most.

Last edited:
But when his shot comes around eventually -- look out. He'll be a walking mismatch.

This times 10. With the way that Battle, Howard and Brisset are able to penetrate and with the team's centers actually being a treat to catch and finish, the missing piece is having a wing that can drift out to the 3 pt line and catch the kick out pass when the defense collapses, and drain the wide open 3 pointer like money. It is the missing piece. Having that, will make any defense cry 'Uncle'.

He would probably be better if he was stronger, but you never know about unintended consquences. Maybe he gets a half step slower and that throws off game. I am happy with the player that he is.

Really odd position you're taking, and a very weird argument to draw a line in the sand about. If you don't think a frontcourt player who is built like Damone Brown wouldn't benefit by getting a bit stronger, it's pretty clear that you fundamentally don't understand how sports work, or are just being argumentative.

Try to enjoy the win.

OB is a rebounding machine and he's doing it from a zone, which is notoriously bad for rebounding. That makes it even more impressive compared to a guy in man who can box out more easily.
The zone is only notoriously bad for centers to rebound. Aggressive wings are always key to our success rebounding.

The zone is only notoriously bad for centers to rebound. Aggressive wings are always key to our success rebounding.
This is so so so true!
Derrick Coleman, John Wallace and Carmelo come to mind (duh!).

I wonder if we investigate our opponents and unearth the percentage of shots they take from one side of the floor vs. the other side (and adapt our defensive alignment accordingly).

I bet we do, but I am also curious how much more or less JAB values defensive length and range of wing coverage vs. rebounding prowess down low. How does that affect alignment? I sense he prioritizes length and range of wing coverage, so that rules his choices as to which side of the zone O.Brissett or Marek/Moyer play on.

Last edited:
Brissett really looks amazing. Few dumb freshman moments, but for the most part poised and obviously insanely talented. Kinda reminds me of Melo the way he rebounds so well.
There's a lot of DC in him as well.

This is so so so true!
Derrick Coleman, John Wallace and Carmelo come to mind (duh!).

I wonder if we investigate our opponents and unearth the percentage of shots they take from one side of the floor vs. the other side (and adapt our defensive alignment accordingly).

I bet we do, but I am also curious how much more or less JAB values defensive length and range of wing coverage vs. rebounding prowess down low. How does that affect alignment? I sense he prioritizes length and range of wing coverage, so that rules his choices as to which side of the zone O.Brissett or Marek/Moyer play on.
Dont forget about Paul Harris! He played a wing in the zone and was a rebounding machine here and he was only 6' 5"!!!! 22 rebound performance in the 6ot game.