Dolezaj and Brissett... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dolezaj and Brissett...

I think there’s a simplification of the center role in this thread. The C needs to be able contest shots and also bring down a fair share of rebounds. Chukwu is a little iffy in this area due to his lack of brawn — but I do believe Sidibe is more than adequate.

I think there’s a simplification of the center role in this thread. The C needs to be able contest shots and also bring down a fair share of rebounds. Chukwu is a little iffy in this area due to his lack of brawn — but I do believe Sidibe is more than adequate.
wait you think Sidibe has more "brawn" than Chukwu?

And yet - PC is averaging 1 board MORE per game than Dib, in almost identical minutes.

PC - 20.7 mins, 5.7 boards, 3 blocks
BS - 18.5 mins, 4.7 boards, 1.3 blocks

Guess you don't actually know what to believe after all. ;)

Boeheim always said if our centers will usually average 5-6 rebounds a game. Challenging shots is more important for that position, the wings swoop for the boards.

Boeheim always said if our centers will usually average 5-6 rebounds a game. Challenging shots is more important for that position, the wings swoop for the boards.
and that seems to be what's happening right now. Our 5's challenge shots and on misses, if they can't grip the ball they seem to be able to tip it out (keeping it away from the opposing bigs) and then our forwards grab the ball. Stats bear this out: our centers are averaging 4.7 to 5.7 rpb, and our forwards are as good or better (Oshae's 9.8 rbg and MD's 6.8 rpg in 25 minutes).

Last edited:
and that seems to be what's happening right now. Our 5's challenge shots and on misses, they seem to tip it out (keeping it away from the opposing bigs) and then our forwards grab the ball. Stats bear this out: our centers are averaging 4.7 to 5.7 rpb) and our forwards are considerably higher (Oshae's averaging about 9.8 rbg and MD's averaging 6.8 rpg in 25 minutes).
All of our bigs, including Moyer, are averaging 10-11 rebounds per 40 minutes. Our two centers are doing just fine so far in that regard.

All of our bigs, including Moyer, are averaging 10-11 rebounds per 40 minutes. Our two centers are doing just fine so far in that regard.
I was not criticizing anyone. Our rebounding is much improved this year, and part of that is balance ... our forwards are not only helping, they're rebounding as well as our centers. I was trying to point out why.

Oshae's p40 minute rebounding is 12 ... the best of the bunch, btw.

I was not criticizing anyone. Our rebounding is much improved this year, now that we have real centers.
You seemed to be suggesting the centers aren't rebounding enough.

You seemed to be suggesting the centers aren't rebounding enough.
No. I was pointing out that they're tipping the balls they can't grab to our forwards, and the numbers back that up. That's a good thing.

and that seems to be what's happening right now. Our 5's challenge shots and on misses, if they can't grip the ball they seem to be able to tip it out (keeping it away from the opposing bigs) and then our forwards grab the ball. Stats bear this out: our centers are averaging 4.7 to 5.7 rpb, and our forwards are as good or better (Oshae's 9.8 rbg and MD's 6.8 rpg in 25 minutes).

I really wish there was a way to keep that stat - tips to teammates for a rebound. It's like a rebound assist.

I really wish there was a way to keep that stat - tips to teammates for a rebound. It's like a rebound assist.
I believe when someone tips a missed shot out directly to a teammate who gains possession, the player who tips the ball is credited with the rebound.