Dome Audio System | Syracusefan.com

Dome Audio System

wiseman3

2nd String
It needs to be said...the speaker system in the Dome was absolutely horrendous tonight. Could not make out a single word that was said pretty much all night. I know they have said that they've made improvements etc, but it was bad. Really bad. Something has to be done

They need to lower them. They're too close to the roof. When you place any speakers close to a hard surface, the sound bounces off, particularly the bass. The midrange and upper register are more purely directional, but bass leaks out of speakers in all directions, and when it reflects off hard surfaces, that's when you get echo and distortion. Somebody tell Pete Sala.

It needs to be said...the speaker system in the Dome was absolutely horrendous tonight. Could not make out a single word that was said pretty much all night. I know they have said that they've made improvements etc, but it was bad. Really bad. Something has to be done
That's surprising. I went to some games last year and agree that it was awful. With that being said, the Mccartney concert in June had an absolutely quantum leap in sound quality compared to his show in 2017 and anything from the games last year. His music and vocals didn't have that very distant, delayed, reverb-ish sound. The quality was comparable to the sound of venues like Metlife. I thought they had it all figured out.

We’re going backwards on the sound. If they think “let’s turn up the volume and everything will be fine”. Wrong. I can’t hear 1 word being said. Bring in professional to get audio right. The one woman, is it infanti’s wife, was just high pitched shrilling to my ears.

Yeah sound was bad. I am sure they will tinker with that and get it right but yeah you couldn’t hear the messages on the video scoreboard….from the announce…..from that lady with the mic and the music was barely discernible. I will say this though…..it was loud as a mofo in that building on 3rd downs…I mean hellaloud.

They’re having a god awful time with getting the sound right.

The only time they can really “play” with the sound is when they have games.

The sound when the dome is empty is completely different

Not sure if it’ll ever get figured out and that’s sad

I think that the combination of the enclosed venue, the omnidirectional sound, the proximity of the roof, and the volume of the fans (which I hope gets only louder), may make it very hard for the volume to improve.

Honestly, and you may laugh, the best solution in the extreme short term may be a closed captioned situation (and a really fast typist).

I think that the combination of the enclosed venue, the omnidirectional sound, the proximity of the roof, and the volume of the fans (which I hope gets only louder), may make it very hard for the volume to improve.

Honestly, and you may laugh, the best solution in the extreme short term may be a closed captioned situation (and a really fast typist).
The issue with that is if you are reading it, you aren’t watching the video. The pre-game videos were awesome. I got not one word from the Matt park video, or the one narrated by McNabb.

If you sitting up high in 318 to 320 or 336 to 302, all those championship banners hanging from the ceiling block the speakers.

How do you spell “suck”. Seriously why not add the players name to the scoreboard so at least I know who made the play

Must be addition of the crowd noise component, right? I mean, SU must have tested the new audio system, and it must sound fine in an empty Dome.

The issue with that is if you are reading it, you aren’t watching the video. The pre-game videos were awesome. I got not one word from the Matt park video, or the one narrated by McNabb.
Yep and I will say it….Matt has a face for radio. Do not put that mug on the huge scoreboard….just have him voice over a video. Have Mike Tirico up there on the video board.

These Elton John tickets I bought 2 years ago are looking like a great investment. Ugh

They need to lower them. They're too close to the roof. When you place any speakers close to a hard surface, the sound bounces off, particularly the bass. The midrange and upper register are more purely directional, but bass leaks out of speakers in all directions, and when it reflects off hard surfaces, that's when you get echo and distortion. Somebody tell Pete Sala.
Please go right ahead. Others can do it as well!

pesala

He’s very nice.

Edit: Interesting. They won’t let me print the full address. Well it is syr.edu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors