Dome Audio System | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Audio System

Okay, I wrote to him a few minutes ago. 6 minutes later I got this response:

Thank you for sharing this, I wish someone had said something to me during the game we would have corrected the issue at that time. I will address this with my sound engineer this afternoon.

Thank you again.
Pete

What I don’t get is if he was at the game, didn’t he hear for himself how awful it was? At any rate, he is Johnny On the Spot and I hope they get fixed because it is a black eye for our newly Beautiful Dome.

Thank you for sharing this, I wish someone had said something to me during the game we would have corrected the issue at that time. I will address this with my sound engineer this afternoon.

Thank you again.
Pete

What I don’t get is if he was at the game, didn’t he hear for himself how awful it was? At any rate, he is Johnny On the Spot and I hope they get fixed because it is a black eye for our newly Beautiful Dome.

Weird as you said that he couldn't hear an issue himself. Regardless let's hope they are able to fix the issues.

The sound has many issues.. when the Announcer is talking about first downs and the like you can hear it pretty clear.. when they cut to the other inputs is when it totally fails. The game intros by coach and Mcnabb there was no chance to hear it.. but you know they could always put on CC and that might help..

Thank you again.
Pete

Where you sit in the room can affect the audio. I wonder if we've consulted an acoustician? There are online tools that give graphs, room modes, etc. That show troubled freq area's, help with speaker placement etc.

I'm certain its a challenge. For instance: a 40hz wave is 28 feet long. Its highest velocity is a 1/4 its wavelength. In a smaller room, you'd need sound treatment 7 feet away from the wall, at highest velocity, in order to stop the reflection.

In your own home, try this. Turn up some music. Now put your head against the far wall. The Bass will increase by 4 db , or more. It won't sound like its supposed to. Will sound pretty good in the middle of the room, but terrible at the wall. In the dome? We're all at the edge of the wall. The upperdeck, near the roof should sound the most terrible. Bass waves gather in corners. Standing waves, out of phase etc...

It will always be a challenge. I'd have the audio physics modeled, for the best compromise. It'll never be perfect. Same reason it sounds so loud, contributes to poor PA quality.

It appears the issue with the audio system is it's simply poorly designed / not fit for purpose.

Here's an idea:

You're a higher ed university with a college of engineering with tracks in electrical engineering in undergrad and post-grad studies... How about give the problem to your talent to solve? Leverage your in-house engineering talent and solve the problem??

It appears the issue with the audio system is it's simply poorly designed / not fit for purpose.

Here's an idea:

You're a higher ed university with a college of engineering with tracks in electrical engineering in undergrad and post-grad studies... How about give the problem to your talent to solve? Leverage your in-house engineering talent and solve the problem??
Its a physics issue.

Sound engineers are good with working within a space. Some spaces just sound terrible. For studios? A good one will have the audio addressed by a audio physicist.

Thank you again.
Pete

Thanks for sending to him, but super weird response from him. Spend some time around the dome. Come to 335 for a while. You can’t hear a thing. Just shrieking through the speakers.

Its a physics issue.

Both. Electrical and sound waveforms in audio speaker design. Confined space ambient acoustics, sound waves in confined spatial volume, etc.

Either way, I bet they have engineering talent on campus that could significantly improve the audio.

Thanks for sending to him, but super weird response from him. Spend some time around the dome. Come to 335 for a while. You can’t hear a thing. Just shrieking through the speakers.
The upper corners are always going to sound the worst.

Both. Electrical and sound waveforms in audio speaker design. Confined space ambient acoustics, sound waves in confined spatial volume, etc.

Either way, I bet they have engineering talent on campus that could significantly improve the audio.
I agree. It would require graphing audio in all areas, AND likely relocating speakers. If thats even possible.

The upper corners are always going to sound the worst.
I get it and have been sitting in same seats for 30 years. So let’s go back to old sound system because at least I could hear people once in a while. Don’t tell us you bought a new system and went backwards where nothing works.

the nice thing about txt is that it uses a different part of the signal compared to the internet so txting works when you cant do much else

Totally inaudible in sec 331. Anyone have fb audio feedback from other domed venues?

Google lists four fixed-roof domes (Lions, Falcons, Saints, and Vikings) and four retractable roof domes (Cowboys, Texans, Colts, and Cardinals). Someone must have figured this out. SU needs to consult with other venues, unless there's something unique about our environment such as roof material or height.

The new wifi can’t come soon enough. Wish they had a short term fix even. It’s a bad look for a wireless company not to have a near term fix.
Good point…so we had a stadium named for an AC company for years, and no AC. Now we have a stadium named for a wireless company, with poor/no internet. The number of texts that came back with “Message Send Failure” was comical. I am sure that they will fix it, but just an observation…

Good point…so we had a stadium named for an AC company for years, and no AC. Now we have a stadium named for a wireless company, with poor/no internet. The number of texts that came back with “Message Send Failure” was comical. I am sure that they will fix it, but just an observation…

But let me tell you, the air conditioning felt delicious!!

I find it impossible to believe that a Sala, a Wildhack, a Syverud, a Whitesman, a Boeheim etc have yet to attend a game and hear how bad it is. Now the question is why are they ignoring it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom