Dome Audio System | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Audio System

Yeah it was rough going up in the upper deck. My wife had to put ear plugs in.

I find it impossible to believe that a Sala, a Wildhack, a Syverud, a Whitesman, a Boeheim etc have yet to attend a game and hear how bad it is. Now the question is why are they ignoring it?
Yeah there is no way Sala was not aware.

I find it impossible to believe that a Sala, a Wildhack, a Syverud, a Whitesman, a Boeheim etc have yet to attend a game and hear how bad it is. Now the question is why are they ignoring it?
They all sit in boxes so there’s direct audio in there. Weirdly some of the audio was better Saturday night closer to the field than it was all of last year. I could actually hear the refs and other things which I never could last year. So they made adjustments that seem to have made it worse for other parts of the stadium.

They are all in the suites, they have their own audio

The fact that Sala would go the news and tell us before the game the wifi would suck but it would be ok since the crowd was gonna be so small it would handle it tells you what you need to know about the fan experience they value

The fact that Sala would go the news and tell us before the game the wifi would suck but it would be ok since the crowd was gonna be so small it would handle it tells you what you need to know about the fan experience they value

Again, you need to read Tomcats detailed post on this. You couldn’t be more wrong about valuing the fan experience.

Again, you need to read Tomcats detailed post on this. You couldn’t be more wrong about valuing the fan experience.
No i know I am right in some cases.. I have had the conversations with people high up the food chain on this. I have been flat out told that many of the issues we are complaining about now were not considered important in the past. I do know that JW values it more than many of the ones below him which is why it has been so long getting many of them done.

And thats not to say things have not gotten a lot better under JW

Here is my theory, I noticed that as the game went on I could actually make out a few sentences here and there. I believe that they had the volume way up to create a lot of noise. It was so noisy that my chest vibrated. I probably lost a lot of my hearing ability at the game. Later in the second half, it got a little quieter and I could actually hear some of what was being said. The crowd will make noise when it wants too. No need for them to blast in all that noise all the time.

No i know I am right in some cases.. I have had the conversations with people high up the food chain on this. I have been flat out told that many of the issues we are complaining about now were not considered important in the past. I do know that JW values it more than many of the ones below him which is why it has been so long getting many of them done.

And thats not to say things have not gotten a lot better under JW

You aren’t talking about in the past. You’re talking about the here and now. Read about the Wi-Fi. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I’d rather wait a bit longer and have nirvana than some half ass rush job which isn’t much better.

You aren’t talking about in the past. You’re talking about the here and now. Read about the Wi-Fi. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I’d rather wait a bit longer and have nirvana than some half ass rush job which isn’t much better.
wifi has been bad for many many many many years.. we are not talking huge amounts of money to make it better.. it requires effort. and I know making it really good does require effort and often is not possible in a place like the dome.. But they have many more ways to make it serviceable. They have way more bands to use. Making it seamless to walk around the dome though is a different issue than making it work while sitting in your seat. The upper deck is a different issue than the concourses and the boxes vs the lower deck..

and My discussions about wifi with people at the dome were within the last 2-3 yrs.

The cellphone issue is a different animal and thats an SU thing, that they have pushed harder with the service providers to fix that issue. Just arranging universal temp cell truck would help, and that cost isnt crazy high for a game day either.

This while i sit at home and cant get 5g unless i walk outside because Verizon just doesnt care, as much as you would like to think they do based on the TV ads they pump out.

wifi has been bad for many many many many years.. we are not talking huge amounts of money to make it better.. it requires effort. and I know making it really good does require effort and often is not possible in a place like the dome.. But they have many more ways to make it serviceable. They have way more bands to use. Making it seamless to walk around the dome though is a different issue than making it work while sitting in your seat. The upper deck is a different issue than the concourses and the boxes vs the lower deck..

and My discussions about wifi with people at the dome were within the last 2-3 yrs.

The cellphone issue is a different animal and thats an SU thing, that they have pushed harder with the service providers to fix that issue. Just arranging universal temp cell truck would help, and that cost isnt crazy high for a game day either.

This while i sit at home and cant get 5g unless i walk outside because Verizon just doesnt care, as much as you would like to think they do based on the TV ads they pump out.

The Wi-Fi has been bad for years. And no we aren’t talking about a lot of money if they want to do it piecemeal or half ass. But they don’t want to do that. It’s going to be top line state of art. That costs a lot of money and takes time. I’m willing to wait.

The Wi-Fi has been bad for years. And no we aren’t talking about a lot of money if they want to do it piecemeal or half ass. But they don’t want to do that. It’s going to be top line state of art. That costs a lot of money and takes time. I’m willing to wait.
yup.. gonna have too.. But come Nov when you are in the dome and the yankees are playing the mets again in the Series and no one has any idea whats going on I dont want to hear complaining about no wifi no live tv and no out of town scores..
;)

I agree. It would require graphing audio in all areas, AND likely relocating speakers. If thats even possible.

...and/or speakers in different enclosures optimized for the dome space, optimally placed sound-dampening panels or hangings in the upper areas of the dome that are adding significantly to the bouncing echoes making things inaudible, etc.

They need to hire a sound/physics guy. If the speakers can't be moved? That could be an issue. You could try addressing all of the troubled frequencies at the upper corners(where they gather) but you risk making it sound more terrible every where else.

If the dome was strictly used for concerts, you might treat those upper corners/roof edges with bass traps. It WOULD sound better. The problem? Proper treatment would absorb some sound. That's not necessarily good for the LOUD advantage, or the guys on the field.

No matter what you do with EQ, the room will always have some issues. If they just placed the speakers wherever, based on an architects drawing? OUCH. Just the distance between the speakers can cause terrible phase issues - before considering a highly reflective room.

This math should have been done in the design phase.

The wifi/cell service is what it is at this point, I suppose (atrocious). There are certainly ways to improve it, but it's a cost/benefit thing that has to be considered.

The gameday ops stuff related to audio/visual continues to leave A LOT to be desired. No one seems to know how to control the audio so that it's at a consistent volume. For example, the pump up song between the 3rd and 4th quarters was great - loud and got the energy going. Then it was followed up by a pre-produced hype video with the players with "Many Men" by 50 Cent playing and you could legit barely hear a thing. Completely killed the energy.

The in-game interviews and whatnot were ok, I suppose. However, they were all set up to appear correctly on the end-zone video boards. Great, except on the wide-angle center hung scoreboards, the video did not appear correctly, as the top and bottom were cropped out. At one point, I believe all you could really see on those screens was a woman's cleavage, because the rest of her was cropped out (I'm sure some won't see that as a problem).

The out-of-town scores remain a complete joke. It's not the biggest deal, but it's incredibly frustrating because in the year 2022 it should be the absolute easiest problem to fix. At one point, the ND-OSU game had been over with for at least 15 mins, but you wouldn't know that by looking at the scores in the Dome, as it listed ND with a 10-7 lead in the 4th still. You're a premier communications school - FIX IT.

They definitely need to work on the sound issues in the upper deck. Not being able to hear the announcements is one thing, but that earth rattling bass was straight up rough. I could handle it but can see how it would be too much for some.

They definitely need to work on the sound issues in the upper deck. Not being able to hear the announcements is one thing, but that earth rattling bass was straight up rough. I could handle it but can see how it would be too much for some.

That pregame music wasn’t good downstairs either. The bass made my chest feel like my heart was gonna bust through.

I was in the 200s in the corner of the endzone and it was bad too. So its not just the highest points...my family has had the same seats for 25 years and the audio was much better evem 10 years ago. Whatever they did to it really messed it up

...and/or speakers in different enclosures optimized for the dome space, optimally placed sound-dampening panels or hangings in the upper areas of the dome that are adding significantly to the bouncing echoes making things inaudible, etc.
Speaker enclosure shouldnt really matter. High freq will be directional, bass will radiate in all directions.

Proper acoustic treatment can absorb the most problematic bass freqs. Need about 7 feet from the wall. Of course, this can reduce volume, but there are matetials thar will reflect the higher freq, and absorb the low.

The upperdeck corners will always sound worse.

For any musicians with a home studio, this is a very useful tool for designing a proper audio space. Remember. Those black foam panels are useless. The problem is the bass. (Does nothing below 300hz- or the high E string on a guitar. Useless)

I was in the 200s in the corner of the endzone and it was bad too. So its not just the highest points...my family has had the same seats for 25 years and the audio was much better evem 10 years ago. Whatever they did to it really messed it up
All corners have the most issues. Where it joins with the ceiling just has more.

Almost sounds like they jacked up the bass, thinking it would sound huge. Probably did from the sound board. Instead, it exacerbated phase issues, standing waves and it made the problems worse. SMH. Its not a directional concert. You check everywhere.

Speaker enclosure shouldnt really matter. High freq will be directional, bass will radiate in all directions.

Proper acoustic treatment can absorb the most problematic bass freqs. Need about 7 feet from the wall. Of course, this can reduce volume, but there are matetials thar will reflect the higher freq, and absorb the low.

The upperdeck corners will always sound worse.

For any musicians with a home studio, this is a very useful tool for designing a proper audio space. Remember. Those black foam panels are useless. The problem is the bass. (Does nothing below 300hz- or the high E string on a guitar. Useless)

They should hire Steve Albini!

we have 100 miles of ribbon board that spent the game showing shades of orange 95% of the time instead of being useful.

think like MLB parks.. they have out of town boards just built for that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom