Dome Interior Upgrades | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Interior Upgrades

As someone who is a bit underwhelmed by the new structure? I really like that they've freshened up the top concrete, the banners and the scoreboard. Feels more like a stadium, and less like a basement.
+1

It would be great if they could get someone to look at the outside, too. If only there were a slew of exceptionally qualified architects hundreds of yards away...

+1

It would be great if they could get someone to look at the outside, too. If only there were a slew of exceptionally qualified architects hundreds of yards away...

What would your suggestions be for outside?

What would your suggestions be for outside?
My suggestion is that the ask someone in the architecture school.

But in my head, there has to be a way to build a faux wall or some kind of pained metal mesh. There are almost certainly better ideas. Those are just mine.

I’d look into some kind of canvas top and project images into it. However, that may not be feasible due to engineering, cost, legal, or other reasons.

We spent years showing recruits a model of the Dome before it was built. Appearances matter.

But in my head, there has to be a way to build a faux wall or some kind of pained metal mesh. There are almost certainly better ideas. Those are just mine.

I’d look into some kind of canvas top and project images into it. However, that may not be feasible due to engineering, cost, legal, or other reasons.

We spent years showing recruits a model of the Dome before it was built. Appearances matter.
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe future phases may involve some concourse/doorways/exterior alterations. It would be silly to do anything before that happens.

Personally, I feel like we have bigger fish to fry on the field before we worry about the exterior.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe future phases may involve some concourse/doorways/exterior alterations. It would be silly to do anything before that happens.

Personally, I feel like we have bigger fish to fry on the field before we worry about the exterior.
They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Agree. If they are planning on expanding the footprint of the building sometime in the future, why change the exterior now, and then have to do it again later?

I think you also have to realize there is a finite amount of money that can be spent to renovate the facility. This is, after all, the real world. Money does not grow on trees.

Would you rather spend millions on making the exterior of the building look spiffy, where the changes have no impact on the fan experience, or spend that money on doing things like expanding concourses, improving seating, improving wifi, improving concessions, improving rest rooms, etc? These are areas that will make a difference.

Changing the look of the exterior of the stadium does little. I would ask the people who are in love with this idea to tour other college football stadia and study the them. I have been to Beaver Stadium in State College. It looks like garbage from the outside (and inside too). I have been to Jordan Hare Stadium in Auburn. It is decrepit. Memorial Stadium in Clemson is nothing special. Notre Dame was nothing special when I last visited it about 10 years ago. This is clearly not something other schools are prioritizing. There is a reason why. It isn't important.

Let's focus on the important stuff. That said, I agree that adding LED lighting to light up the crown truss and roof for night games should be done ASAP. It won't cost much and will bring a lot of bang for the buck.

Agree. If they are planning on expanding the footprint of the building sometime in the future, why change the exterior now, and then have to do it again later?

I think you also have to realize there is a finite amount of money that can be spent to renovate the facility. This is, after all, the real world. Money does not grow on trees.

Would you rather spend millions on making the exterior of the building look spiffy, where the changes have no impact on the fan experience, or spend that money on doing things like expanding concourses, improving seating, improving wifi, improving concessions, improving rest rooms, etc? These are areas that will make a difference.

Changing the look of the exterior of the stadium does little. I would ask the people who are in love with this idea to tour other college football stadia and study the them. I have been to Beaver Stadium in State College. It looks like garbage from the outside (and inside too). I have been to Jordan Hare Stadium in Auburn. It is decrepit. Memorial Stadium in Clemson is nothing special. Notre Dame was nothing special when I last visited it about 10 years ago. This is clearly not something other schools are prioritizing. There is a reason why. It isn't important.

Let's focus on the important stuff. That said, I agree that adding LED lighting to light up the crown truss and roof for night games should be done ASAP. It won't cost much and will bring a lot of bang for the buck.
right. No highly rated QB is coming here because of our new "_______" exterior cladding.

Just put a model rollercoaster “express train” up there and have it running on game days.

They aren’t mutually exclusive.

You aren't going to win this apparent controversial topic here. I offered my opinion in the Crane Construction Thread and got kind of dissed for simply my view/opinion that although it's an impressive engineering feat, the architectural/aesthetics of the structure leaves a lot to be desired and quite unappealing. The usual suspects replied with the obvious open up your pocket book, etc. or don't complain garb as if offering my opinion was somehow deeply personal to them, as if I had just called their wife/significant other a ugly fat chit or something unflattering. Quite interesting to say the least.

Stop making sense.

I generally agree with everything you said. At this stage, it is what it is and SU has to live with the decision it made. Personally, I wish they had gone with a different design, like/similar to that Walter's Group rendering which was initially leaked. I find the elevated crown truss a peculiar appearance aesthetically and from an architectural standpoint. Having this elevated halo/crown physical structure above the actual roof component itself makes for an odd look. I haven't seen many buildings, stadiums, etc. with this type of a rig, and IMO, that speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Last I heard they couldn’t expand the footprint without incredible amounts of money because of the way the walls are built.

I’d MUCH rather spend money on things that are visible, which is the exterior of the building. I don’t personally care about any of the things that you listed. In fact, I’ll be so bold as to say that the same people who gripe endlessly about concourses are the same people who gripe about the temperature (forgetting that the Dome on a “bad” day was/is still infinitely better than most major stadiums on an average day).

And the finite supply of money is why the school should invest in things that are highly visible. We don’t have the cash to invest in the stuff that isn’t. We aren’t an SEC school that can pour cash into a everything with the hope that something will stick.

As far as your point about other stadiums, I suggest you spend more time around the stadiums that you listed. You’re in left field. And yes, before you ask, I’ve spent more time walking through their cow fields than you’ve spent watching PSU football.

1604361754754.jpeg

That’s the worst picture that I could find (call my bluff and find a worse one - I’m sure you can eventually, but I don’t think you can easily), and the truth is that it looks materially better in person, but even in picture form, it looks like the school is thoroughly committed to football. And for context, an academic building literally fell over when I was a student there (the brick just collapsed in on itself), and yet Beaver stadium’s exterior was never NOT immaculate. Actually, speaking of Beaver Stadium, as of the last time I was in the stadium (~2010), the stadium didn’t accept credit cards. (...and you’re worried about concourse widths while telling me the outside doesn’t matter.)

But jumping back to SU and the Carrier Dome specifically, how many years did we spend hiding Archibald from recruits while showing them models of the Dome?

As for Notre Dame, I suggest you open your eyes next time you visit. There’s a reason why the stadium looks the way it does, and that image is extremely carefully curated, and I assure you that it has nothing to do with fan comforts (otherwise they’d expand and put in bucket seating).

1604362533490.jpeg

(That’s ND’s stadium, which you are calling humdrum.)

Actually, speaking of fan comforts, this is what Notre Dame provides:
1604362762937.jpeg

You tell me where their priorities are.

Last edited:
right. No highly rated QB is coming here because of our new "_______" exterior cladding.
Tell that to all the kids who didn’t come here after seeing Archibald. They didn’t get that memo.

Also tell that to the numerous schools (including Syracuse) whose programs got big jumps after significant stadium CapEx infusions.

YES I Meanxz how many other Stadiumz Or ARENAS that you’ve been to host 4-5 Major sports?

the Garden?

wait...I’Ll wait for your examplez

The Dome, in reality, hosts 2 major sports. That's hardly unique in any city of our size or larger in America.

Tell that to all the kids who didn’t come here after seeing Archibald. They didn’t get that memo.

Also tell that to the numerous schools (including Syracuse) whose programs got big jumps after significant stadium CapEx infusions.
Disagree with you on pretty much everything you think. i am very happy you have no say in how money is spent at SU.

I would just like to see big enough concourses that people can go to the bathroom AND concessions and get back to their seats after halftime.
it would also help in the event there is an emergency such as a fire in the dome. people would get trampled in there.

it would also help in the event there is an emergency such as a fire in the dome. people would get trampled in there.
What's going to burn in the dome, the concrete walls and floors or the metal benches.

I would just like to see big enough concourses that people can go to the bathroom AND concessions and get back to their seats after halftime.
That will wow the recruits.

Would you rather spend millions on making the exterior of the building look spiffy, where the changes have no impact on the fan experience
I think everyone understands the money needs to be invested on the interior first but, personally, driving past the dome on 81 or seeing it on approach from 690 are part of my “fan experience”. And in these times the only fan experience I’m getting.

In the state of NY the only way to get proper funding is for a tragedy to open the door to disaster aid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom