Dome operations need to catch up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dome operations need to catch up

They had water but according to a person in the concession stand I talked to the cases were in the basement of the dome and they could not get them through the packed hallways.

I have a feeling the 50% off discounts prior to kickoff have increased sales of food & beverages at football games which led to this problem.

Also they are not used to packed hallways for football games.

I got a bottle of water in the 4th quarter. It wasn't cold because I was told that they ran out of ice.

Last week, I used my coupon to order a hot dog, soda, popcorn and a bottle of water. I ordered the first three items before hesitating a bit as I looked at the menu board and then said water. The woman (not a student volunteer) said, "Oh sorry, I already rang it up. I'll have to ring it up separately." Then she went ahead and charged me $4 for the bottle of water. When I pointed that out she said, "Yeah, you can only use one coupon and I already rang you up." I asked to see her manager. he came over and said, "Sorry, there's nothing I can do. She already rang you up." I pointed out to him that she rang me up before I completed my order.By this point a line is forming behind me. I asked to see his supervisor. Another gentleman came over and the three of them huddled up. He said, "OK, we can discount you water." Should it really be that much of a struggle?

Here in Jersey, I spent a few summers supervising concessions at the PNC Bank Arts Center. Volunteers worked the registers, but the managers, assistants and cooks were employed by Aramark, a food services company. Maybe it would be wise for the Dome to do something like that.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the fact that they regularly charge $4 for a water!

Last edited:
I got a bottle of water in the 4th quarter. It wasn't cold because I was told that they ran out of ice.

Last week, I used my coupon to order a hot dog, soda, popcorn and a bottle of water. I ordered the first three items before hesitating a bit as I looked at the menu board and then said water. The woman (not a student volunteer) said, "Oh sorry, I already rang it up. I'll have to ring it up separately." Then she went ahead and charged me $4 for the bottle of water. When I pointed that out she said, "Yeah, you can only use one coupon and I already rang you up." I asked to see her manager. he came over and said, "Sorry, there's nothing I can do. She already rang you up." I pointed out to him that she rang me up before I completed my order.By this point a line is forming behind me. I asked to see his supervisor. Another gentleman came over and the three of them huddled up. He said, "OK, we can discount you water." Should it really be that much of a struggle?

Here in Jersey, I spent a few summers supervising concessions at the PNC Bank Arts Center. Volunteers worked the registers, but the managers, assistants and cooks were employed by Aramack, a food services company. Maybe it would be wise for the Dome to do something like that.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the fact that they regularly charge $4 for a water!
The discount is new, new things always take time to work out (should the woman just have rung up the discount, yes.). There are mostly volunteers but SU Food Services has a supervisor in every stand last I knew.

It should be noted that you got a water in the fourth - the Dome was not out of water as many have complained, it was just a matter of restocking..

It seems wirh the glory of the win people needed something to complain about so concessions has taken that hit this week...

why doesnt charge $4 for water? they charge $5 for a 5 cent soda

The discount is new, new things always take time to work out (should the woman just have rung up the discount, yes.). There are mostly volunteers but SU Food Services has a supervisor in every stand last I knew.

It should be noted that you got a water in the fourth - the Dome was not out of water as many have complained, it was just a matter of restocking..

It seems wirh the glory of the win people needed something to complain about so concessions has taken that hit this week...
Concessions is a joke

Not a 'something to complain about' topic

It's valid

You might not have heard but su is about to start on a massive renovation to the dome which will improve the experience

Doesn't mean that the current facility shouldn't do things right. We are scratching and clawing for every fan we can retain.

Here in Jersey, I spent a few summers supervising concessions at the PNC Bank Arts Center. Volunteers worked the registers, but the managers, assistants and cooks were employed by Aramack, a food services company. Maybe it would be wise for the Dome to do something like that.

Agree about charging for water, even MLB teams sometimes put out cups of free water on very hot days. Unacceptable for SU not to make some accommodation for yesterday's conditions.

Concessions is a joke

It's valid

Normally it drives me crazy how this fan base tends to pile on it's own school at times, but this does seem like a definite opportunity to improve (coming from someone lives in KS so I don't know first hand). The good news is it does seem like the AD is listening to feedback and trying to address what they can. Even if the AD isn't in charge of concessions, hopefully they can get the message to those who are.

concession prices are crazy high like at all sporting events, the discount card is a nice touch to try to get more people in the dome by kickoff instead of tailgating at there own spots then enter at kickoff time

Concessions is a joke

It's valid
Not saying they aren't a joke and could be better, but the people in the stands are doing what they can with what they got - the stands are extremely tiny and there is no room for anything in there as it is.

We have beer, which is better than many. Our food options are limited and stuff wasn't restocked quick enough this week. Prices are what they are and aren't going to change because people pay them.

Like others have said, the renovations will help alot and the AD is going to make improvements.

I do think they should have had free water this week, but, it is something people are complaining about because there is nothing better.

Concessions is definitely something that needs a LOT of work, just in the area of efficiency. I waited over 20 mins just to get waters before they game. After that experience I wouldn’t dream of going back to get something else during the game. It’s a good thing I filled up at the Fine Mess before the game. The water one is pretty easy, IMHO: don’t force people to go to a concession stand for water, but add ice buckets near all the beer stands. The wait for beer before the game was nowhere near the length of the wait at the other concession stands.

When discussing attendance, it is all related: comfort issues with the temperature in the dome and terrible concessions make for an experience that can be challenging to overcome for the casual fan.

The Dome has water fountains. No charge.

You can even refill an empty bottle if you choose.

Lower Level Concourse by aisle 104, 113, 119, 128
Upper Level Concourse by Gates; L, K, J, H, M, N
And maybe, just maybe, if you’re lucky, you can go home with a stomach bug as a souvenir.

I’m not going to pick on any race in particular, but seems to me the entire upper bowl has trouble operating and communicating well. I had a hell of a time getting two sodas yesterday. You’d think I asked them to do A math problem.

those of use who got the 30 min early got water in about 2 min.. and it was ice cold. well worth getting there early.. the money i save in food was more than the cost of one of my season tickets.. do that every game and its like getting one free. now if they would just use the boards this week to show some game while we sit there waiting to start i would gladly get there to watch warm ups.

Another problem is the staff working the concession stands looks like it's their one day a week outside the Senior Living Facility. None of them know how to work the cash machines and couldn't move slower if they tried because they are just so old. I mean get high school kids looking for a part time jobs to work and speed the process up.

Another problem is the staff working the concession stands looks like it's their one day a week outside the Senior Living Facility. None of them know how to work the cash machines and couldn't move slower if they tried because they are just so old. I mean get high school kids looking for a part time jobs to work and speed the process up.

Agree, for years it was college and HS kids. Not to be biased to geriatrics, but, yes, the lines flow and things get done. Don't get it. They have 7+ months to get this right.

An idea for the people who run the DOME and the concessions. What I have seen some stadiums start to do (especially ones in hot climates in the south or out west). You get the dopey Souvenir Cup, charge $8 or $9 for a soda or water in that cup, but the fan who pays for that gets unlimited refills for that day.

It's a win-win for both sides. Fan's get unlimited soda/water and get to take home a souvenir cup. For the stadium you are up-charging on the first drink and hoping a good chunk of people never go back to get a refill, or at most just one refill. Plus it takes water out of the bottles and makes it easier to dispense.

Just an idea.

Most of those people you are criticizing are pure volunteers contributing their time for charity. Paying people means the charities lose out.

Most of those high school kids you note aren’t looking for work and regarding cash registers unless it calculates the change for them - watch out. :rolleyes:

Most of those people you are criticizing are pure volunteers contributing their time for charity. Paying people means the charities lose out.

Most of those high school kids you note aren’t looking for work and regarding cash registers unless it makes change for them - watch out. :rolleyes:

Well the volunteers aren't getting the job done time to re-look at the business model and the deal with charities. I'm sure there is another way to work in charities to get them what they want without them having to have senior citizens work cash registers they clearly have no clue how to work.

And Syracuse is a big enough city I'm sure you could find enough high school kids to work for min wage a few times a year when you have in or around 40,000 people in the building. Just saying.

On the plus side, relaxing the no re-entry policy due to the heat was a very good idea.

Yes - very good that common sense and flexibility can prevail over official policy sometimes. Glad SU acted on that.

You think concessions are bad now? Hire Aramark, Delaware North, etc and see how bad it gets. It will also be FAR more expensive. The Dome isn't that bad compared to everywhere else.

Have they ever roped off concessions, to have folks line up along the wall, to alleviate concourse congestion?

How bout having the volunteers come down each aisle, selling water, dogs, and beer? Again, to alleviate congestion... Even if they only offered that service to the lower bowl, it'd help with the concourses, AND help justify the price tag, as a first class option...

Am I a crazy person?

Maybe put in one of those water machines they have at restaurants and colleges to refill your cup/bottle?

Was at the Bills Home opener yesterday and the concessions were not any better then the dome. Maybe better options, but same issues with speed of service and employees knowing prices/how to use the technology. I did like that the Ralph was letting you fill your water bottles for free at guest services. That could be an idea for games like Saturday (if we don’t already)