Dome operations need to catch up | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dome operations need to catch up

When it comes to the concession stands, doesn't SU allow for local groups to make money for their charity/teams/groups and since this is so, isn't it their fault hot dogs were not cooked? I don't want an SU staff as this is a wonderful way for them (HS/groups) to make money.

As for the water, I agree that they should have known it was going to be hot and whoever orders that should now be told to NEVER allow for that again,
And the organization has to pay for all used items. So if they don't sell all the cooked hotdogs, the charity is out.

An idea for the people who run the DOME and the concessions. What I have seen some stadiums start to do (especially ones in hot climates in the south or out west). You get the dopey Souvenir Cup, charge $8 or $9 for a soda or water in that cup, but the fan who pays for that gets unlimited refills for that day.

We went to a game at Ole Miss last year and saw this for the first time. We jokingly figured this was just one of the reasons people in the south are so obese. Then I went to a Broncos game this year and they now do the same thing.

We went to a game at Ole Miss last year and saw this for the first time. We jokingly figured this was just one of the reasons people in the south are so obese. Then I went to a Broncos game this year and they now do the same thing.
Onondaga County health code prohibits passing a used cup across a counter to be refilled. Seriously.

really they could do a better job of moving people around and forming the lines, but i dont get so many just standing around at halftime in the concourse either.

Onondaga County health code prohibits passing a used cup across a counter to be refilled. Seriously.
so does that mean when they do free refills at mcdonalds its illegal?

so does that mean when they do free refills at mcdonalds its illegal?
If you hand your cup to someone behind the counter where food is prepped it is illegal.

Concessions have a ton of issues every year. There are a ton of incremental things they could do (position water bottle only sales stations at points around the dome- maybe even outside the revolving doors and let people go out to get them- this would mean water would be delivered to these spots from the outside ad avoid hallway jam delivery issues ). But I hope that the reno solves at least some of these. I dont expect The wide open airy concourses a completely new build would get us, but hoping some common sense improvements that make things better.

Prices are high but Ive seen much higher. IMO its perfectly in line with what I expect at a sporting event. Would I love the Falcons model? Sure. But it is what it is.

Last edited:
Concessions have a ton of issues every year. There are a ton of incremental things they could do (position water bottle only sales stations right between the revolving entry doors and the turnstiles on hot days for instance...water can be brought from the outside and eliminate crowd issues). But I hope that the reno solves at least some of these. I dont expect The wide open airy concourses a completely new build would get us, but hoping some common sense improvements that make things better.

Prices are high but Ive seen much higher. IMO its perfectly in line with what I expect at a sporting event. Would I love the Falcons model? Sure. But it is what it is.

The dome already allows people to bring in unopened water bottles.

The dome already allows people to bring in unopened water bottles.

No i get it I was just proposing that maybe, in conjunction with a relaxed reentry policy, they could set up water sales right outside the doors on hot days . That would solve the issue of not being able to get water from point A to point B because of crowded hallways.

No i get it I was just proposing that maybe, in conjunction with a relaxed reentry policy, they could set up water sales right outside the doors on hot days . That would solve the issue of not being able to get water from point A to point B because of crowded hallways.

There should be a water sales option at most of the beer stands, too. Crazy that we have to clog up two points of sale to buy two things that should be consumed together.

There should be a water sales option at most of the beer stands, too. Crazy that we have to clog up two points of sale to buy two things that should be consumed together.

good point

I apologize as I didn't start this thread to rip the volunteer groups that were running the concession stands. I am aware that is how the system has worked at SU for years. I am not upset with the soldiers, but it is time for the Generals at the Dome to come up with better solutions. I am not of the opinion that winning is the only factor in bringing fans back to the building. The experience needs to be as efficient as the process the school has for taking your ticket money. The billing process is never screwed up.

I don't personally care too much about concessions...but the AC can't come soon enough!

I am the same, I may but 2 beers these days and that's about it or a couple sodas for the kids and even that can be painful

When I do buy from concessions. I just dont' go during peak times like at half-time. The half-time mobs are nothing new.

I was going to get a soda right when the 3rd Q started. I walked down, saw big line and went back to my seat for a few minutes. Then, I walked down again after a change possession, saw that there were no lines...got my soda and back at my seat very quickly.

Until they expand the dome and make more room for concessions, this will always be a bottleneck at peak periods. I think SU understands this and does plan to re-work it but that won't be for at least 4 years from now.

That’s exactly the suggestion that went on my survey response.

For the ones that are next to the food stands you can order water as well. The problem is that the Food service people are not optimizing what they have. Perfect example is the beer stand in 121 that has pretty good craft beer options. They have 3 registers but for the first two games they are only operating two of them. The lines for Sat were massive no matter what time you went (trust me I tried). Now it only had 2 people working and there was zero sense of urgency from either of the employees working the register it was a disaster. This isn't a volunteer issue either as the people working the register are SU employees. At the very least all 3 sale points should have been open as the lines were back to the seats and it was near impossible to walk through..

i remember the LSU game last year. they sold water right at the door, then you got to the door security and they said you couldnt bring it in.. so then they sold water inside the door.. nice scam.

They were letting people out at halftime?
giphy.gif

FYI, if you submit a survey and say you are open to a call back, they will reach out. Got a call today based on my survey (which was not scathing but offered suggested improvements.) It is just good to know that someone is listening and comitted to making improvements for the fans.

For the record, not sure if this has been said or not butttttttt the workers at the concession stands are not “volunteers”. They are all good service workers on campus that have volunteered to work at the Dome. Which pays the best out of all the places on campus to work. A large majority of them are there for work-study.

So yes they volunteered to work there however, they are getting paid and paid decent.