Dome survey | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dome survey

Full_Rebar said:
People said the courtside seats would be too expensive for this market too. I don't think SU needs to go box crazy, but it could work as it does at Baylor.

I never heard anyone say that. There is always a market for some upscale seating. It's a matter of how much. Having court side seats and the current boxes and then adding to it luxury boxes at $95k per year, plus loge seating which will be more than A level costs and also box seats which will also be more than A level costs, seems like a bit much for this market. Maybe they decide to go with a small subset of one of those options.

The upscale seating options all require a lot of space for relatively few people. Won't that mean a substantial reduction in overall seating capacity? Good-bye 30,000 crowds?

Stadiums in general are getting smaller in capacity with nicer stuff. The Yanks and Mets for instance each shaved off 10k plus seats in their new digs but with tons more high revenue locations in the building.
NYC has lots more people (and corporations, or is that redundant?) who can afford those high revenue locations.

I never heard anyone say that. There is always a market for some upscale seating. It's a matter of how much. Having court side seats and the current boxes and then adding to it luxury boxes at $95k per year, plus loge seating which will be more than A level costs and also box seats which will also be more than A level costs, seems like a bit much for this market. Maybe they decide to go with a small subset of one of those options.

Probably not the best person to support my statement, but Bud was one of them. I agree with you that all of it is too much, especially the 95k luxury ones,but I think the loge seats would probably be pretty appealing. If I remember those were somewhat reasonable. I also think people would like the bunker suite during hoops season especially.

Full_Rebar said:
Probably not the best person to support my statement, but Bud was one of them. I agree with you that all of it is too much, especially the 95k luxury ones,but I think the loge seats would probably be pretty appealing. If I remember those were somewhat reasonable. I also think people would like the bunker suite during hoops season especially.

Lol. Bud doesn't count.

Millhouse said:
What the heck are "loge" seats that everyone mentions?

They are actually called loge boxes.

image-804406259.jpg

So I've been in many luxury boxes in my time, and to tell you the truth, I usually hate them. Especially those where you almost have to watch the game on TV because you are up so high. If I wanted to watch the game on TV I could have saved a lot of money, and stayed home. And I can't yell at anyone if I am behind a plate of glass or cheer along with the rest of the crowd. Boxes take out the excitement of being at the game. OK, the bathrooms, if they have them in the box, and the included food is nice. I sat on the floor court side for a Raptors game this year. We had the food service at our seats, but were right in the action. If I want a special fan experience that is more like it. Even those loge boxes at Minnesota are fairly high up. Why don't they put those boxes at a lower point? Maybe 10 rows of seating, then the loge boxes, and then back to seating. I don't see why they always have to be at the top of a section of seats.

And, yes, as pointed out above, don't compare this to what they have done with a stadium such as Yankee stadium. That is not comparing apples with apples. Heck it is more like comparing caviar with apples. Syracuse is not going to get a fraction of the corporate sponsorship those stadiums get. Anyways, that is my 2 cents.

And as anyone who has attended or watched Yankee home games - they are apparently unable to sell the high priced box seats down by the field. That so destroys the vibe of the old Yankee Stadium.

NYC has lots more people (and corporations, or is that redundant?) who can afford those high revenue locations.

Granted it's all big city but Philly, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, even DC have gone smaller in baseball.

Syracuse I think poses some unique challenges with so many donors being 5 plus hours away.

Granted it's all big city but Philly, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, even DC have gone smaller in baseball.

Syracuse I think poses some unique challenges with so many donors being 5 plus hours away.
make all the seats wider, reduce capacity by 20%, try to make it brighter, beg donors to pay for making the place look better on TV

too bad there isn't a way to cover up upper deck endzone seats without it looking like a florida baseball team. they're useful for basketball, but football could look so much better if the endzone fans filled in space on the sideline

So I've been in many luxury boxes in my time, and to tell you the truth, I usually hate them. Especially those where you almost have to watch the game on TV because you are up so high. If I wanted to watch the game on TV I could have saved a lot of money, and stayed home. And I can't yell at anyone if I am behind a plate of glass or cheer along with the rest of the crowd. Boxes take out the excitement of being at the game. OK, the bathrooms, if they have them in the box, and the included food is nice. I sat on the floor court side for a Raptors game this year. We had the food service at our seats, but were right in the action. If I want a special fan experience that is more like it. Even those loge boxes at Minnesota are fairly high up. Why don't they put those boxes at a lower point? Maybe 10 rows of seating, then the loge boxes, and then back to seating. I don't see why they always have to be at the top of a section of seats.

And, yes, as pointed out above, don't compare this to what they have done with a stadium such as Yankee stadium. That is not comparing apples with apples. Heck it is more like comparing caviar with apples. Syracuse is not going to get a fraction of the corporate sponsorship those stadiums get. Anyways, that is my 2 cents.
Well said, Linda!

Millhouse said:
ok what the heck are loge boxes

I included a pic.

I'd like them to relax their bans on tablets and ipads.

Big fingers and little phone buttons don't mix. ;)

This is related to a peeve of mine: I've never been to a pro venue in a larger city and gotten turned away with a briefcase or laptop bag. But they're banned at the Dome.

Come on, guys. People have jobs; you don't think people might come straight from the office to a 7:00 p.m. basketball game? There's no good reason to ban these things. SU needs to not make it more inconvenient to attend games.

This is related to a peeve of mine: I've never been to a pro venue in a larger city and gotten turned away with a briefcase or laptop bag. But they're banned at the Dome.

Come on, guys. People have jobs; you don't think people might come straight from the office to a 7:00 p.m. basketball game? There's no good reason to ban these things. SU needs to not make it more inconvenient to attend games.
Agreed. This is another example of where the Dome management is out of touch with the way business is conducted in 2015. There should be no problem bringing in a laptop or iPad to a game. Sure, make the person open the bag and prove there isn't an Uzi in it, but other than that, let it go.

There should be top quality Wifi available from anywhere in the Dome that does not require an involved process to use.

There should be free charging stations available in a number of areas as well.

Doesn't anyone that works in Dome management travel and visit other stadia? Doesn't anyone there have a smart phone or a tablet? If not, hire someone who is not a dinosaur to help bring things into the modern era. People not only want to bring in things that they work with but they want to use them.

Every venue that hosts televised athletic events is fighting to make the game day experience as compelling and enjoyable as possible. Most fans have great setups at home, with a terrific TV, a great sound system, access to good food and beverages, up to date info on scores of other games, stats from the game being watched, access to replays of key plays from many angles, etc.

The Dome does NONE of these things very well. The game day experience needs to be BETTER than being at home watching on TV but SU ignores a lot of easy things to do that could make things better, and insists doing things like allowing an incompetent person to do the PA/spendsingmost of every timeout attacking the fans with constant advertisements/promos or awful canned music.

I've been over this. As for the actual carrier dome issues. Have to decrease the price of concessions (Beer)

Agreed. This is another example of where the Dome management is out of touch with the way business is conducted in 2015. There should be no problem bringing in a laptop or iPad to a game. Sure, make the person open the bag and prove there isn't an Uzi in it, but other than that, let it go.

There should be top quality Wifi available from anywhere in the Dome that does not require an involved process to use.

There should be free charging stations available in a number of areas as well.

Doesn't anyone that works in Dome management travel and visit other stadia? Doesn't anyone there have a smart phone or a tablet? If not, hire someone who is not a dinosaur to help bring things into the modern era. People not only want to bring in things that they work with but they want to use them.

Every venue that hosts televised athletic events is fighting to make the game day experience as compelling and enjoyable as possible. Most fans have great setups at home, with a terrific TV, a great sound system, access to good food and beverages, up to date info on scores of other games, stats from the game being watched, access to replays of key plays from many angles, etc.

The Dome does NONE of these things very well. The game day experience needs to be BETTER than being at home watching on TV but SU ignores a lot of easy things to do that could make things better, and insists doing things like allowing an incompetent person to do the PA/spendsingmost of every timeout attacking the fans with constant advertisements/promos or awful canned music.

Right on. These are small changes that would make a huge difference!

I'm all for cheaper beer, but honestly, I don't think you'll find many sporting venues that charge much less, if any less at all.

For those 12 noon kickoffs for football. How bout $1 dollar beers.

I have a pet peeve... the "misdirection play" pulled by the Syracuse Police after Dome events. I can't count the number of times the line I'm stuck in was forced onto a side street (to the middle of nowhere) by a Syracuse Cop. People want to get home, especially after late games. Those of us who travel from out of town don't appreciate being shunted to nameless, tertiary streets with no signage or apparent connection to I-81. The Police don't care where you're going .. as long as they get you out of the area. No, they don't have an easy job ... but better coordination in the post-dome traffic plan would be nice.

As far as the 'misdirection' technique, I think it should be banned. Some delays are inevitable, but the fastest way to clear traffic is to get cars to the highway -- instead of forcing them to circle around town. SU, Syracuse Police and NYS DOT need to realize this.

In the I-81 re-design, Dome events clearly deserve to be considered. Access to I-81 is a huge issue -- as important as any other design features, despite the NYS DOT's announcement that they won't consider Dome traffic (duh). Yah --- let's ignore the biggest traffic jams in the area when we're spending tens of millions of taxpayer dollars re-designing the highway (that you can't get to). lol

Last edited:
reedny said:
I have a pet peeve... the "misdirection play" pulled by the Syracuse Police after Dome events. I can't count the number of time's the line I'm waiting in has been forced onto a side street (to the middle of nowhere) by a Syracuse Cop. People want to get home .. those of us who travel from out of town don't like being sent into a morass of city streets with no signage or apparent connection to I-81. The Police don't care where you're going .. as long as they get you out of the area. They don't have an easy job ... but some coordination and understanding (and signage) would certainly be appreciated. The 'misdirection' technique should be banned and a better exit plan should be developed between SU, Syracuse Police and NYS DOT. Some delays are inevitable, but they don't seem to understand that the fastest way to clear traffic is to get cars to the highway. This should be considered in the I-81 re-design. Access to I-81 is a huge issue -- as important as any other design features, despite the NYS DOT's announcement that they won't consider Dome traffic (duh). Yah --- let's ignore the biggest traffic jams in the area (from Dome events) when we're spending tens of millions of taxpayer money re-designing the highway (that you can't get to). lol

There used to be a time when there was no real police presence directing traffic and more streets were also allowed to be parked on (I used to park on Henry St). Crowds were just as big for basketball and bigger for football. Seemed like it was easier then to get out of the area.

Last edited:
those of us who travel from out of town don't like being sent into a morass of city streets with no signage or apparent connection to I-81.
If they take down 81 you won't have that problem anymore. :bang:

Yah --- let's ignore the biggest traffic jams in the area (from Dome events) when we're spending tens of millions of taxpayer money re-designing the highway (that you can't get to). lol
That right there tells you they're looking for the cheapest solution. We'll get a lovely community grid... with mobile toll booths saying "homeless hungry please help".

If they take down 81 you won't have that problem anymore. :bang:

That right there tells you they're looking for the cheapest solution. We'll get a lovely community grid... with mobile toll booths saying "homeless hungry please help".
They did ask about tailgating in the survey (one question i think). Pity they don't understand that getting to the Dome, and getting home, is quite a challenge .. made even more time-consuming and frustrating by police who turn traffic away from I-81 access points.

There used to be a time when there was no real police presence directing traffic and more streets were also allied to be parked on (I used to park on Henry St). Crowds were just as big for basketball and bigger for football. Seemed like it was easier then to get out of the area.
True, and the train was nice also ... they brought in the "Elmira Express" and cancelled the real train. lol. But true, Bees, the traffic situation is pretty bad. Much better coordination is needed, and DOT has its head in the sand if they think Dome events and secondary access aren't worthy of design consideration.