Donald Sterling recorded making some racist comments | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Donald Sterling recorded making some racist comments

That's because Jay-Z and Carmelo wear that stuff as a fashion statement, not a political statement. They liked the idea of "black people as Gods" and wore it around their necks like a designer chain. It's more like they probably didn't know or didn't care about the "racist group".

This cuts to a different issue. Black people have more leeway in general on making potentially racist statements, than white people do. This is a way of life in America. So whether Jay-Z knew about the "racism" or not, nobody persecutes them for it because of the past. No matter what you think about it, that's just the way it is. I'm Jewish so I feel some leeway in making derogatory comments towards Germans when I'm drunk. Do I hate Germans? Not really. But I do it because I'm more socially "allowed to" than other groups. In fact, Germans laugh when I do. Just like white people laugh when black comedians make fun of them.

That's the general answer to your question.

So who makes the rules on what is socially accepted? Shouldn't it be fair all the way around? I believe we as Americans are becoming more soft with how we respond to things like this. I am in no way, stating what Sterling said should be swept under the rug.

They put the "but" whenever they want to take a position of "they shouldn't take the team away from him", "the media is too aggressive and powerful", etc. Anything that doesn't 100% persecute Sterling, always starts with a "He's an awful person and what he said is awful and there is no place for it BUT...".

It's sort of like, if you don't start the paragraph off by saying "Sterling's horrible", people will assume you are defending him, and thus a racist yourself. Or at the very least, that is what people fear, so that's what they do. This is getting off-topic, but it's a fun/weird/unique/strange/stupid offshoot of America's race relations in 2014.
That is exactly why I've phrased certain things the way I have in this thread.

But they will be operating. Maybe a few get sent home early, big deal - I'm pretty sure they all get it and understand. After all, this is bonus money in their minds because this is the playoffs. And I'm only advocating this if Sterling himself gets a cut of the take.
A lot depend on this for second income. In any case, I agree the vendors would feel it a lot more than Sterling would. I like the idea of sponsors pulling their ads. If free agents rule out the Clippers and the best players demand trades, Sterling might realize a profit is impossible and sell the team. I think this is a better outcome than Sterling being forced by the NBA to sell.

Have you ever been around 5% ers? You seem to have a lot of experiences in life. As far as the prison thing, generally it was the NOI and few other inmates using that terminology with staff. I was simply stating that 5% are racist people.
Yes actually I have. More than a few. And 5% have different factions. They have racists yes, no doubt. They also have peaceful factions that sometimes "hang around" to make sure there's no problems and try and promote peace

So who makes the rules on what is socially accepted? Shouldn't it be fair all the way around? I believe we as Americans are becoming more soft with how we respond to things like this. I am in no way, stating what Sterling said should be swept under the rug.

It's a macro thing. With the internet and the media, American culture becomes more homogenous since there's no distance between someone in CA and someone in NY. People form the same opinions based on memes and repetition.

People also form the same underlying beliefs, which comes out in what we are discussing. Cultural beliefs are trends of the time and usually change every few years. Remember when it was funny to make fun of gay people? Wasn't that long ago. I read non-fiction books from the turn of the century from time to time. They rarely refer to blacks and when they do they call them the "inferior race". They are also extremely dismissive of the Chinese. It usually has nothing to do with the book, that's just what they say when they touch on the subject, of an otherwise great book.

It should be fair all the way around, but you're dealing with deep-seated strong emotions, and when you deal with emotions, things stop being logical.

It's a macro thing. With the internet and the media, American culture becomes more homogenous since there's no distance between someone in CA and someone in NY. People form the same opinions based on memes and repetition.

People also form the same underlying beliefs, which comes out in what we are discussing. Cultural beliefs are trends of the time and usually change every few years. Remember when it was funny to make fun of gay people? Wasn't that long ago. I read non-fiction books from the turn of the century from time to time. They rarely refer to blacks and when they do they call them the "inferior race". They are also extremely dismissive of the Chinese. It usually has nothing to do with the book, that's just what they say when they touch on the subject, of an otherwise great book.

It should be fair all the way around, but you're dealing with deep-seated strong emotions, and when you deal with emotions, things stop being logical.

So since Sterling is in his 80's and grew up in a time that it was acceptable for this behavior, should he be given a pass? Just a thought. Not my belief.

So since Sterling is in his 80's and grew up in a time that it was acceptable for this behavior, should he be given a pass? Just a thought. Not my belief.

I don't think "be given a pass" is the right mentality. But you may have a better understanding of where those beliefs come from.

Those kinds of beliefs usually die out, it's just that he's an owner of a very-relevant franchise that this uproar started. He's an old man, think of all the racists in nursing homes across America who we ignore. I think this story says more about us, than it does Donald Sterling.

They put the "but" whenever they want to take a position of "they shouldn't take the team away from him", "the media is too aggressive and powerful", etc. Anything that doesn't 100% persecute Sterling, always starts with a "He's an awful person and what he said is awful and there is no place for it BUT...".

It's sort of like, if you don't start the paragraph off by saying "Sterling's horrible", people will assume you are defending him, and thus a racist yourself. Or at the very least, that is what people fear, so that's what they do. This is getting off-topic, but it's a fun/weird/unique/strange/stupid offshoot of America's race relations in 2014.
It's like prefacing an insult by using the phrase; "With all due respect". As in: "With all due respect, your wife needs a shave, your kids are ugly, and you smell like dog feces...no disrespect intended"! ;)

Last edited:
"That's because of all the blacks in this building, they smell, they're not clean."
"And it's because of all of the Mexicans that just sit around and smoke and drink all day."
"Is she one of those black people that stink? [...] Just evict the bitch."
"I don't have to spend any more money on them, they will take whatever conditions I give them and still pay the rent."

Yeah...probably just cause he's in his 80s. Jesus christ.

"That's because of all the blacks in this building, they smell, they're not clean."
"And it's because of all of the Mexicans that just sit around and smoke and drink all day."
"Is she one of those black people that stink? [...] Just evict the bitch."
"I don't have to spend any more money on them, they will take whatever conditions I give them and still pay the rent."

Yeah...probably just cause he's in his 80s. Jesus christ.

If you are referring to me, maybe you should read the whole post.

I heard someone yesterday say his GM Baylor was paid 3X less than any other person in his position at the time. Haven't checked that so take it for what it's worth.

He should have been - he SUCKED.

It's interesting--I just listened to a lengthy segment of the tape on sports radio driving in between appointments this morning. I had a very similar reaction--he sounds like an old fool--a bigoted fool, to be sure--but came across as more of a jealous boyfriend than an overt racist. Some of the stuff he said was clearly racist, but it was also rambling and he was in the middle of an argument. Seemed to me that his main point was kind of what you insinuate above--and that he was tired of hearing about her from people he knows, as opposed to the sh/tstorm some are making it out to be.

No question, he's a racist. But it wasn't like this was a public incident, or him using the "N" word flagrantly, or him doing discriminatory things in terms of how he runs the Clippers. This was him being taped during an argument that got heated.

And I'm not making excuses for Sterling. He's a jackass. I just feel like this automatically turned into a witch hunt because of the subject matter.

I'm right there with you. I listened to the whole thing and he sounded more to me like a crotchety old perverted man, set in his ways and cultural norms of the 50's than some deep seated racist. Almost like a rich, perverted version of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Ultimately, he's reaping what he sowed. He chose to cheat on his wife, he chose to placate gold-digger gf's (I doubt dogface is the only one he's had), and he's chosen to repeatedly express views, whether publicly or privately, that conflict with his industry and the progression of society. He's brought all this on himself, regardless of whether anyone feels the punishment is fair or enforceable in court.

Holy overreaction Batman. Doc Rivers talking about ticketing and marketing employees crying and thinking about not working.. Take it down a notch bro.

I'm right there with you. I listened to the whole thing and he sounded more to me like a crotchety old perverted man, set in his ways and cultural norms of the 50's than some deep seated racist. Almost like a rich, perverted version of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

I agree with that. I mean, don't we all have a generationally racist elderly person somewhere amongst our extended family or in-laws, be it an uncle, cousin, grandparent, etc.? I definitely do. Every day, one of them passes on, and a baby is born who couldn't care less about race, and the world keeps on spinning.

But, the NBA made the economically rational decision, because not canning Sterling would have caused a PR firestorm. There are much more pressing racial issues in this country that need to be talked about, e.g. housing discrimination, voter suppression, enforcement of drug laws, etc etc.

Sterling lawyered up.

This is going to take a while, regardless of Lebron's wishes.