Donald Sterling recorded making some racist comments | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Donald Sterling recorded making some racist comments

And I think you're being naive. Anyway, I made my point, and we disagree. NBD.
Half the reason for my statement was, "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove". But you're right, we've made our points and disagree. I'm good with that

I just listened to more of the tape. V asked Sterling if he would have been okay if she took a picture with Larry Bird instead of Magic Johnson. I highly doubt this girl has any clue who Larry Bird actually is. I am glad Sterling is going to be gone because his a racist and embarrassment, but V may have set him up with those comments. If she said would have been okay if I took a picture with JJ Reddick or Pau Gasol I would believe she knows them, but I doubt she knows Bird. This girl is about to be hit with some lawsuits I think and she is trash. However, I am glad Sterling will be gone.

This is an embarrassment for the league, but it was a private conversation that was taped. It will be his word against hers. She claims he knew and she had permission. But the bottom line is that she committed a crime. He committed poor bigoted decisions by running his mouth. If he is somehow forced or encouraged to sell the team, other owners should be nervous. I'm not saying that others are racist, but everybody has their own secrets. I would go out on a limb and think that other owners have stuff they wouldn't want out there.

Sterling was foolish for letting his mistress know his feelings on the race issue. I don't know of many "mistress" situations that turn out well. Somebody gets hurt and he fed her some serious ammunition.

What is being lost in the big picture of race in sports is that there is another part owner of a franchise that openly wears a racist medallion. It was brought up in a recent thread that Jay Z wears a 5% Nation medallion. It truly represents hatred for whites. I dealt with many 5% Nation inmates when I worked in the DOJ. They mostly despised me because I was a white man with authority. They literally called me the "blond hair, blue eyed devil". Any normal person would stay away from wearing a medallion like this. I don't care if it is a fashion fad or something. How would it go over if a white owner wore a hat or medallion with a Nazi swastika or a KKK symbol? He would be hung like many want Sterling hung. Why should Jay Z get a free pass?

http://nypost.com/2014/04/06/jay-zs-medallion-bears-logo-of-five-percent-radical-group/

image.jpg

That being said, in my opinion Sterling should sell the team and try to move on. It would be a miserable fight and no matter what his defense is, he would always have that cloud over him. He is a bigot, but he should know to trust nobody. Especially a gold digging mistress.....

The dynamic of freedom of speech/personal thoughts/feelings and owning a business vs what someone else can do to that said business. I find what Sterling said to be absolutely wrong but if they are his views he has the right to say and feel them. Now the conundrum is what to do about it. If I own something outright somebody can take that from me depending on what I say?

I just listened to more of the tape. V asked Sterling if he would have been okay if she took a picture with Larry Bird instead of Magic Johnson. I highly doubt this girl has any clue who Larry Bird actually is. I am glad Sterling is going to be gone because his a racist and embarrassment, but V may have set him up with those comments. If she said would have been okay if I took a picture with JJ Reddick or Pau Gasol I would believe she knows them, but I doubt she knows Bird. This girl is about to be hit with some lawsuits I think and she is trash. However, I am glad Sterling will be gone.

absolutely agree

kareem with some great thoughts on the situation here:

http://newsone.com/3007737/kareem-abdul-jabbar-slams-donald-sterlings-mistress-for-her-betrayal/

This is an embarrassment for the league, but it was a private conversation that was taped. It will be his word against hers. She claims he knew and she had permission. But the bottom line is that she committed a crime. He committed poor bigoted decisions by running his mouth. If he is somehow forced or encouraged to sell the team, other owners should be nervous. I'm not saying that others are racist, but everybody has their own secrets. I would go out on a limb and think that other owners have stuff they wouldn't want out there.

Sterling was foolish for letting his mistress know his feelings on the race issue. I don't know of many "mistress" situations that turn out well. Somebody gets hurt and he fed her some serious ammunition.

What is being lost in the big picture of race in sports is that there is another part owner of a franchise that openly wears a racist medallion. It was brought up in a recent thread that Jay Z wears a 5% Nation medallion. It truly represents hatred for whites. I dealt with many 5% Nation inmates when I worked in the DOJ. They mostly despised me because I was a white man with authority. They literally called me the "blond hair, blue eyed devil". Any normal person would stay away from wearing a medallion like this. I don't care if it is a fashion fad or something. How would it go over if a white owner wore a hat or medallion with a Nazi swastika or a KKK symbol? He would be hung like many want Sterling hung. Why should Jay Z get a free pass?

http://nypost.com/2014/04/06/jay-zs-medallion-bears-logo-of-five-percent-radical-group/

View attachment 11971

That being said, in my opinion Sterling should sell the team and try to move on. It would be a miserable fight and no matter what his defense is, he would always have that cloud over him. He is a bigot, but he should know to trust nobody. Especially a gold digging mistress...
Really? Gotta love posts skirting the main issue and making excuses, "it was a private conversation". It's painfully obvious to most, but there's always people that will ignore the real issue and blame some gold digging mistress, while pointing out everything she did wrong. What expose a racist? How dare someone do that..

Now Jay Z, they should look at that too and deal with it accordingly.. Although equating, the 5%'ers and the KKK and Nazi's. Wow. And yeah, inmates usually love prison guards. Calling a guard, a blond hair blue eyed devil is a term of endearment in there.

The dynamic of freedom of speech/personal thoughts/feelings and owning a business vs what someone else can do to that said business. I find what Sterling said to be absolutely wrong but if they are his views he has the right to say and feel them. Now the conundrum is what to do about it. If I own something outright somebody can take that from me depending on what I say?
The only thing Bob, you don't own it outright. You are part of a bigger picture that has bylaws that you as an owner have to abide by. And I heard the Mike and Mike lawyer this morning say, if it goes to arbitration, they don't have to acknowledge judicial laws. So even in Cali, if it's illegal to tape someone, they can still use that against you in arbitration.

The only thing Bob, you don't own it outright. You are part of a bigger picture that has bylaws that you as an owner have to abide by. And I heard the Mike and Mike lawyer this morning say, if it goes to arbitration, they don't have to acknowledge judicial laws. So even in Cali, if it's illegal to tape someone, they can still use that against you in arbitration.

The tapes legality honestly means little to me. First off...if someone is a bigot I want to know and it's the closet ones that scare me. Second...the lawyers are going to have to parse this one down regarding what exact bylaws the NBA has and to go with that as Mark Cuban said, "Is this a slippery slope?" Will this next be like a public domain for the good for the whole in someones eyes?

Stern knew about this guy and did nothing. Ever. Why?

Really? Gotta love posts skirting the main issue and making excuses, "it was a private conversation". It's painfully obvious to most, but there's always people that will ignore the real issue and blame some gold digging mistress, while pointing out everything she did wrong. What expose a racist? How dare someone do that..

Now Jay Z, they should look at that too and deal with it accordingly.. Although equating, the 5%'ers and the KKK and Nazi's. Wow. And yeah, inmates usually love prison guards. Calling a guard, a blond hair blue eyed devil is a term of endearment in there.
Noone is skirting the main issue which is that Donald Sterling has had a history of bigoted acts culminating with his comments on tape, but guess what, we can also point out how vile and disgusting V Stiviano is. For a butter face mistress she sure had no problem taking this racists money for X amount of years while she leached off him. She so heroically decided to fight for minorities when she baited and illegally recorded his conversation that just so happens to coincide with her getting brought to court by Sterling's wife. Sterling will get whats coming to him, V Stiviano should as well.

Don't think he was making excuses

If I own something outright somebody can take that from me depending on what I say?

If you own a franchise of the league, you still have to operate under the rules of the league.

The other owners are being very careful with what they say about this because they know they could be next. What if an owner likes to roll around in cotton candy naked with sheep and that gets taped somehow?
What if another owner likes to pay 18 year old boys to lather themselves in Nutella and that gets out?

These are some very affluent and connected people. Ever see Eyes Wide Shut? That's how these dudes are rollin'. They are going to be very careful before they throw one of their own to the wolves, and not because they condone or have any love for that dude, but because they want to protect themselves.

Mark my words: this chick will be on next season's Dancing With the Stars.

You have to love the 15 minutes of fame.

That said what would be nice is if she knew Sterling was intentionally hurting/holding back people because of their color and she wanted to let the world know.

If you own a franchise of the league, you still have to operate under the rules of the league.

True to a point but it may depend on what they can do. Personally, I'd like to see no fans go to any of the NBA playoff games as a protest. All the games as a protest not just the Clippers.

True to a point but it may depend on what they can do. Personally, I'd like to see no fans go to any of the NBA playoff games as a protest. All the games as a protest not just the Clippers.

If Sterling is allowed to keep the team, soon there will be no team. No free agents will sign with the Clippers. No team will want to make a trade with them. Nobody will buy their merchandise.

Noone is skirting the main issue which is that Donald Sterling has had a history of bigoted acts culminating with his comments on tape, but guess what, we can also point out how vile and disgusting V Stiviano is. For a butter face mistress she sure had no problem taking this racists money for X amount of years while she leached off him. She so heroically decided to fight for minorities when she baited and illegally recorded his conversation that just so happens to coincide with her getting brought to court by Sterling's wife. Sterling will get whats coming to him, V Stiviano should as well.
Agreed. No doubt about it what so ever. She's a gold digging shady person. But that's small potatoes in the big picture.

Ok, at some point there's something called overreaction.

Sterling clearly said some things that are ugly. It looks bad for the NBA.

That said, I'm not sure that the Clippers, despite being owned by a racist, are run in a racist manner. Sterling had a black GM when that was a rarity in all of professional sports. He's obviously employed and given fair contracts to many black players. He currently employs a black head coach, etc.

I don't think there's any doubt that Sterling is a despicable person and has been for a while. Does the NBA differentiate between how Sterling acts as an individual, or do they take into account how his franchise is run? I don't think he has a lot of defense if they assess him as an individual, but that type of assessment taking place is probably frightening to other owners. If they assess his organization I think they're in a massive slippery slope.

I don't see there being any winners here.

If Sterling is allowed to keep the team, soon there will be no team. No free agents will sign with the Clippers. No team will want to make a trade with them. Nobody will buy their merchandise.
I have a hard time believing that actually.

Sterling clearly said some things that are ugly. It looks bad for the NBA.

That said, I'm not sure that the Clippers, despite being owned by a racist, are run in a racist manner. Sterling had a black GM when that was a rarity in all of professional sports. He's obviously employed and given fair contracts to many black players. He currently employs a black head coach, etc.

I don't think there's any doubt that Sterling is a despicable person and has been for a while. Does the NBA differentiate between how Sterling acts as an individual, or do they take into account how his franchise is run? I don't think he has a lot of defense if they assess him as an individual, but that type of assessment taking place is probably frightening to other owners. If they assess his organization I think they're in a massive slippery slope.

I don't see there being any winners here.

Possible but didn't Baylor sue him?

As for winners...I hope the human race wins this one because if it gets people to learn and listen to each other then let's make something positive out of something ugly.