Don't worry about Dougie, I have a feeling JB will | Syracusefan.com

Don't worry about Dougie, I have a feeling JB will

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
take care of that. And it won't be pretty.

He's not worth JB's time. JB would only encourage him and make him feel more important. Best tactic for JB is to ignore him.
I agree. But that isn't jb's way.

One virtue of a defeat is that I'm not even thinking about what Gottlieb or somebody else says. I just want the team to improve.

Gottlieb is doing his job. He's getting people worked up with his argument. It's not like his case is 100% baseless. It's an opinion. I still don't know how Boeheim is going to shut him up like Dasher suggests, unless he wins another NC. Any more comment by Boeheim would show that he really cares what Gottlieb thinks.

Gottlieb is doing his job. He's getting people worked up with his argument. It's not like his case is 100% baseless. It's an opinion. I still don't know how Boeheim is going to shut him up like Dasher suggests, unless he wins another NC. Any more comment by Boeheim would show that he really cares what Gottlieb thinks.
Gottlieb has taken after JB during a time when Jb has earned a little recognition. This is personal for Doug. He needs to be taken down a peg. Starts with this question. Doug, where did your mom go to college? Doug, where did your father go to college? Doug, what was your dream school? Did they offer you a ship? This is just a personal thing for you, isn't it Doug?

Gottlieb has taken after JB during a time when Jb has earned a little recognition. This is personal for Doug. He needs to be taken down a peg. Starts with this question. Doug, where did your mom go to college? Doug, where did your father go to college? Doug, what was your dream school? Did they offer you a ship? This is just a personal thing for you, isn't it Doug?
Yeah, those question will really put Gottlieb in his place...

Its not his job to rag on 1 coach year after year and then to turn it up a notch when that coach reaches a historic milestone and is being praised all over the country.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Its not his job to rag on 1 coach year after year and then to turn it up a notch when that coach reaches a historic milestone and is being praised all over the country.

agreed bees he comes across as a total tool

agreed bees he comes across as a total tool

If we'd won today, then Gottlieb wouldn't have gotten the forum to publish that attack dog article--he would have looked like a complete jackass nursing a red ass for JB calling him out.

Unfortunately, our loss gave gottlieb the opportunity to kick us when we were down.

People will rip me for saying this and I hate Gottlieb as much as the next guy and I do think Jimmy B is a hell of a coach. But Gottlieb does have a point. Jimmy B has a hell of a lot of wins, but we have had some epic collapses in the tournament. Some of it due to bad luck (kieth smart jumper, Fab inelegible, AO injury) but also being the first 2 seed to ever loose to a 15 seed, loosing to Vermont among other things. For a program that has been so successful, it is hard to believe that we have only been past the elite eight 3 times. Comparing coaches, would a better coach have 1000 victories and 1 NC or 866 wins and 3 NC? Everyone likes winning, but the ultimate goal is winning the National Championship!

Why does anybody care what Gottlieb, or any of these "analysts", have to say? Who cares?!?! They're there just to get discussion going and the opinions should be taken with a boulder of salt. I am amazed at the obsession so many SU fans have with what this guy says.

Why does anybody care what Gottlieb, or any of these "analysts", have to say? Who cares?!?! They're there just to get discussion going and the opinions should be taken with a boulder of salt. I am amazed at the obsession so many SU fans have with what this guy says.

I'm more amazed at Dougie's obsession with JB. We're fans. Fans obsess. Legit media doesn't obsess.

Gottlieb argues that Boeheim isn't a top 10 all-time coach. There are exactly 47 coaches with a claim to a 1 or more national titles. There are exactly 13 coaches EVER with multiple titles.

Just using a brief scan of sports-reference:

-Is Phil Woolpert of University of San Francisco (9 years, 2 titles, 3 final fours 153-78, .662%) better than JB?
-Is Branch McCracken of Indiana (24 years, 2 titles, 2 final fours, 364-174, .677%) better?
-Is Ed Jucker of Cincy (6 years, 2 titles, 3 final fours, 3 ncaa berths, 121-44, .733%) better?
-Heck, Hank Iba had just 2 titles in 40 years, and went 752-333 (.693%).

No one is arguing Boeheim is definitively better than Coach K, Bobby Knight, or Adolph Rupp here. Personally, I think most of us are being reasonable. JB has the third most victories of all time and the 9th best winning percentage (only among coaches with 450+ victories), and is literally a Keith Smart jumper from being in an elite group of 14 coaches with multiple titles (at least 3-4 of which he's ALREADY better than).

Bottom line: I say JB belongs in the top 10. If Gottlieb wants to make his argument to the contrary, that's fine. I want to know where JB ranks on Gottlieb's list of coaches then. Because in my opinion, Boeheim has to be at absolute worst top 15-20 (which would STILL make him an all-time great coach), or else the person making the list is simply insane.

Gottlieb argues that Boeheim isn't a top 10 all-time coach. There are exactly 47 coaches with a claim to a 1 or more national titles. There are exactly 13 coaches EVER with multiple titles.

Just using a brief scan of sports-reference:

-Is Phil Woolpert of University of San Francisco (9 years, 2 titles, 3 final fours 153-78, .662%) better than JB?
-Is Branch McCracken of Indiana (24 years, 2 titles, 2 final fours, 364-174, .677%) better?
-Is Ed Jucker of Cincy (6 years, 2 titles, 3 final fours, 3 ncaa berths, 121-44, .733%) better?
-Heck, Hank Iba had just 2 titles in 40 years, and went 752-333 (.693%).

No one is arguing Boeheim is definitively better than Coach K, Bobby Knight, or Adolph Rupp here. Personally, I think most of us are being reasonable. JB has the third most victories of all time and the 9th best winning percentage (only among coaches with 450+ victories), and is literally a Keith Smart jumper from being in an elite group of 14 coaches with multiple titles (at least 3-4 of which he's ALREADY better than).

Bottom line: I say JB belongs in the top 10. If Gottlieb wants to make his argument to the contrary, that's fine. I want to know where JB ranks on Gottlieb's list of coaches then. Because in my opinion, Boeheim has to be at absolute worst top 15-20 (which would STILL make him an all-time great coach), or else the person making the list is simply insane.

Hard to argue JB is a top ten all time coach when K, Izzo, Donovan, Self, and Pitino,all have better resumes.

Hard to argue JB is a top ten all time coach when K, Izzo, Donovan, Self, and Pitino,all have better resumes.

Name ten better. All-time and/or current.

Self does not have a better resume if you use all of the criteria Gottlieb used against Boeheim.

He is about to move into second in wins all time. He's K's right hand man on the Olympic team. What more do you want? I would love to have at least 2 more championships, which we all know could have easily happened. The tournament is a lot of luck, matchup and of course skill.

Donovan hit gold having his guys stay for another year to win a Title. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances but I believe A family member of Corey Brewer was ill, and his teammates didn't want to leave him behind so they stayed another year and won another. Things like this happen all the time, Doug and possibly you don't realize that.

Bill Self left for Kansas making Charlie Villanueva look elsewhere went to Uconn instead, he gets BE rookie of the year and helps Calhoun gets another Ship. See Doug writes this stuff probably not even knowing those facts and the casual fan reads his crap and are like " man
Boehiem is overrated" coaching is also a lot of luck.

This board obsesses over rutgers and gottlieb more than a middle aged woman obsesses over her weight.

Name ten better. All-time and/or current.

Self does not have a better resume if you use all of the criteria Gottlieb used against Boeheim.

The biggest measuring stick for coaches at this level is performance in March.

BIll Self's resume from that respect is already superior, and includes stints at Tulsa and Oral Roberts.

He is about to move into second in wins all time. He's K's right hand man on the Olympic team. What more do you want? I would love to have at least 2 more championships, which we all know could have easily happened. The tournament is a lot of luck, matchup and of course skill.

He's k's rift hand man because he's an excellent zone coach. That's hardly an argueqent for top ten ALL TIME.

He's k's rift hand man because he's an excellent zone coach. That's hardly an argueqent for top ten ALL TIME.
That was one of the points not THEE point.

This board obsesses over rutgers and gottlieb more than a middle aged woman obsesses over her weight.

Some on this board obsess over the postings of people calling Gottlieb out for what he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom