Don't worry about Dougie, I have a feeling JB will | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Don't worry about Dougie, I have a feeling JB will

Some on this board obsess over the postings of people calling Gottlieb out for what he is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Good one bees.

The biggest measuring stick for coaches at this level is performance in March.

BIll Self's resume from that respect is already superior, and includes stints at Tulsa and Oral Roberts.

Self has as many bad losses in the tournament as Boeheim, if not more. And as Gottlieb pointed out, in less time.

He's k's rift hand man because he's an excellent zone coach. That's hardly an argueqent for top ten ALL TIME.

Keep in mind, some of those other coaches had much more talent to work with. I challenge doubters to name a coach that has done more with less or equal talent. Don't forget docsu, the person in the top right of your avatar was not JB's 1st choice when he was recruited.

Self has as many bad losses in the tournament as Boeheim, if not more. And as Gottlieb pointed out, in less time.

Really?

He lost to Bradley, Bucknell, Northern Iowa and VCU (in the regional final). Are you counting Notre Dame in 2003? That would be a stretch IMO. Those are his "bad" losses.

And even then, I would happily take that along with his title, national runner up, and five elite eights in 19 seasons which, as I already mentioned, included stops at "powers" Oral Roberts and Tulsa.

Really?

He lost to Bradley, Bucknell, Northern Iowa and VCU (in the regional final). Are you counting Notre Dame in 2003? That would be a stretch IMO. Those are his "bad" losses.

And even then, I would happily take that along with his title, national runner up, and five elite eights in 19 seasons which, as I already mentioned, included stops at "powers" Oral Roberts and Tulsa.
I think you are on the wrong team forum.

Keep in mind, some of those other coaches had much more talent to work with. I challenge doubters to name a coach that has done more with less or equal talent. Don't forget docsu, the person in the top right of your avatar was not JB's 1st choice when he was recruited.

Six schools, all time, have had more McDonald's all Americans than Syracuse...it's hardly like we've gone wanting in the talent department over the years.

But with that said, JB is a phenomenal talent evaluator.

Because of your curiosity with Bill Self and the Jayhawks.

Having the ability to be objective and recognizing there a better coaches out there doesn't make me less of a Syracuse fan than you or anyone else on the board.

Having the ability to be objective and recognizing there a better coaches out there doesn't make me less of a Syracuse fan than you or anyone else on the board.
You aren't being objective, you play devils advocate on a forum called "syracuseFAN".

You aren't being objective, you play devils advocate on a forum called "syracuseFAN".

Your right. Five wins in the sweet sixteen in thirty seven seasons. Look out Wooden!

Your right. Five wins in the sweet sixteen in thirty seven seasons. Look out Wooden!
Wooden played in tournaments with far different layouts than they are now. He walked to titles.

My mistake...too much wine.

And that is only from 1990. JB has had a consistent winning team since he started coaching and I'm old enough to remember, he got very few if any before 1990. NO coach has ever done more with less than James Arthur Boeheim.

LOL.

If what I think bothers you that much don't read my posts.

I don't want any other coach for my team, and it won't be long before a lot of people, including myself, start to long for the days when he was on the bench.

Doesn't mean I'd put him in the top ten all time.

Really?

What are JB's bad losses in your opinion? There are some that just about everyone will agree on. There are others that are debatable.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Oral Roberts, because Self did nothing there.

And since when is making the Elite Eight a barometer of greatness?

It's beyond me how wins aren't the key measuring stick for greatness. The games are played and the ultimate goal is a win, correct? I don't know what the confusion is.

JB isn't a top 5 coach, but he is a top 10 coach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

And that is only from 1990. JB has had a consistent winning team since he started coaching and I'm old enough to remember, he got very few if any before 1990. NO coach has ever done more with less than James Arthur Boeheim.
How about Rick Pitino?
At Providence he got to the Final Four with a great shooter and a couple of bangers.
And Brad Stevens doesn't exactly land the most highly prized recruits.

If you're too young to know, don't make stuff up. Pre-1990 we had our share.....

Tony Bruin, Pearl Washington, Derrick Coleman, Stevie Thompson, Rodney Walker, Michael Brown, Billy Owens, Conrad McRae

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom