Doris | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Doris

Just my humble opinion but I think part of the reason why there was uneven coverage of Pitt and SU is because the ESPN producers (and probably Dave and Doris) just wanted to create the excitement of an upset.

Everybody loves a winner...to a point. Eventually, the same team winning over and over again isn't exciting anymore to the general sports fans.
When the #1 team gets knocked off, that's exciting. I think a lot of this was about ESPN trying to manufacture better ratings.

At the beginning of the game, Doris did that little segment on how Pitt can beat SU. But there wasn't anything about SU's strategy for winning.

Throughout the game, Doris and Dave are really pumping up the idea of an upset.
I think a lot of it was about ESPN's ratings. About creating a narrative that makes people watch more ESPN.

You think if kentucky duke north carolina or arizona were number one they get that treatment? No way.
Since we have been #1 espn has played us off as not fun at number one for 3 straight games now. Clemson @ Home was like writing a book about clemson all game long clemson this and clemson that. Clemson might not even make the tournament.

You can actually hear her giggle after Ennis made the shot and is running down to the other end. She didn't seem to upset. Just sayin'.

You think if kentucky duke north carolina or arizona were number one they get that treatment? No way.
Since we have been #1 espn has played us off as not fun at number one for 3 straight games now. Clemson @ Home was like writing a book about clemson all game long clemson this and clemson that.

Of course they do. We as SU fans aren't living and dying on every moment of when those other schools are number 1. Go to any message board after a close game with #1, and you'll find these same exact threads with other teams.

I can understand trying to pump up the game. Constant reference to beating #1, never losing to a top 10 team at the Pete, how they stopped the streak in 2011. All that is fine but they all but treated SU as a non-entity for much of the game. You even reference no mention of SU strategy. Sooner or later they are going to p1ss off the SU fan base and we all know that covers most of the east coast!

I'm not excusing it; I'm just saying that part of tonight is probably related to the agenda of ESPN producers.

Just once I'd like to see them have a special segment on our offense and how we will attack their defense.

The opening bit with Doris standing on the foul line saying this is the area Pitt wants to own. Give it a rest.

You can actually hear her giggle after Ennis made the shot and is running down to the other end. She didn't seem to upset. Just sayin'.

I don't think she was upset at all that we won. Its just that her announcing is so Pitt centric because of her relationship with Dixon. She can only see good in what Pitt does.

Announcers get so much in to the upset in college basketball, that they become biased.

Remember that Syracuse-UNC Asheville game from 2012. The announcer is known as a good professional (forget his name)

Just think back to the last minute
1) The Lane Violation - It was clear, but they thought it shouldn't be called because they wanted the upset, and it was not the right time to make the call.
2) The Out of Bounds Play. Flabbergasted because the ball may have went off us last (IIRC), but totally ignoring the fact that UNC Asheville should have been called for a foul first. The announcer ranted for a while, until Miller or Elmore said it should have been a foul anyway. The other two basically chose too ignore this point.

Announcers get so caught up in possible upsets and sometimes become unbearable.

She had a couple great lines tonight...

"I can't believe they didn't call a foul on that...and now Ennis will step to the line to shoot his free throws."

"The clock stopped early...they should add more time here."

I mean, come on.

Absolutely brutal tonight.

The call on the game winner by DOB wasn't exactly stellar either - "He hit the shot! Goodness gracious!". HA.

Just once I'd like to see them have a special segment on our offense and how we will attack their defense.

The opening bit with Doris standing on the foul line saying this is the area Pitt wants to own. Give it a rest.
Bilas did a pretty good job before one of the games. It may have been the ND game. He discussed a couple of different plays like the double pic and the back cuts Cooney does.

I think she is trying to write a book titled "How to beat SU's 2-3 zone". All she ever talks about during broadcasts of Cuse games is how to beat the zone or describing what teams are doing wrong in attacking it. Never gives credit to the zone for anything. It's always the other team had a mental mistake of some sort.

Duke is her Favorite Team

Well when they play us maybe but she slobbers over Dixon on the air like he was the one who got away. If anything ever happened to his wife they should definitely take a look at Doris right away.

I mean, I get it. The whole point of sports commentary is to find the story within the game. Obviously, #1 losing on the road is going to be the narrative, with the commentators trying to pump up the underdog. If you were to ask fans with no rooting interest in the game, they probably didn't even notice the commentary. It is only when your team is the one trying to be upset that it becomes excruciating bias. To most people, it probably just sounded like a normal broadcast between #1 and another team. The reality is, that Syracuse has been so good in the past 3-4 years that the story is almost always, "can <insert underdog here> pull off the upset?" If Syracuse wasn't so good, then we would get more of the announcers on our side.

Still, I coudn't stand it and had the game muted for like 90% of the broadcast.

I will admit that last night was the first time I have ever in my life muted the audio. About 4 minutes into the second half I just could not take it anymore. It wasn't even about the game, really, it was about some script they were hoping was going to play out. But I also see your point that in some ways the insane coverage of our team is the ultimate respect. They are basically saying "we don't need to talk about Syracuse, we need to talk about all these other teams who are trying to measure themselves against Syracuse."

24 teams have thrown themselves onto the rocks in an attempt to climb over us onto the beach and 24 teams have been left floundering in the water.

image.jpg

Doris is a Providence graduate. I think she does ok. That being said, Patrick Ewing could have called the game and I wouldn't be complaining.

Waaa...it's also hard to disagree with. Name one good female color commentator or play by play announcer for men's sports. Name one.

It is sexist by definition but perhaps not wrong when looking at the available data although it is technically an opinion call. I still feel that a woman can do fine or even great job especially if they just approach it as a woman. I think Doris is very knowledgeable but she has fallen into trying to do what other men do on broadcasts rather than just announcing the game as Doris Burke should and would. All the best color people do it their way and that's why it works.

This is ESPN rivalry week. In the BE, G'town and UConn were labeled as the rivals to SU. Now with those rivalries gone from the league, ESPN had to manufacture a rivalry. What happens next year when Louisville comes in? Does that become the next rivalry? Notice they didn't push the AAC games because those are all "fake" rivalries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom