Dougs press conf second review | Syracusefan.com

Dougs press conf second review

kcsu

Living Legend
I watched the press conf for a second time and came away with these thoughts.

Doug is really tired. You can tell the guy has been driving himself and working his tail off. Adkins as well. On second review this was the issue not a lack of enthusiasm simply that he and his staff are exhausted.
The loss of Brantley really stings. His analogy about the Car was obviously about Harold. Based on the move of Myles to FB i actually think that Brantley may have been pegged as our FB. Garcia seems to think the same as well.
Positions for guys like Devonte are not set in stone and could change based on the spring.
Morgan was a much bigger need, want, effort than many of us thought and they are thrilled to have him.

I like how Doug said he addressed the losing streak this year to recruits and parents. Straight up.

All in all i have a much better feel after watching this a second time. I hope that he and the staff can take a few days to re charge as they really seem beat. His best class to date in my opinion. I really hope he does well this year as we will be hard pressed to ever find another individual who loves his school as much as Doug does. Lets get these upgrades underway soon. Give the staff the support they need.

Doug is fine, just a bit grumpy and tired, nothing a few wins won't do. We need 7 or 8.

I think he realizes that fan are NOT coming back until they win games, won't win games until he recruits better, hires a better staff and does a better job himself, pretty easy to figure out

Agreed. Lets hope he can pull 7 out of the hat next year. With WVU off the schedule replaced by lets say Stony Brook that is plus 1. For Dougs sake i hope they schedule a low level Mac team to fill the other hole and get him another win. Minnesota and USC are going to be tough non conf games. The big east games will all be a dog fight with not one sure win on the schedule. I can see us going 4-7 just as easy as 7-4. Special teams really could make the dif this year. we need to stay healthy as we are so thin across the board. Spruill needs to be well sooner rather than later. Leaders need to emerge on both sides of the ball both on the field and as important off. In short we need a few breaks to win 7

I say this as a Marrone supporter:

If a coaching staff of Any school isn't tired, they aren't working hard enough. This is the gold rush time of year. To not have an event and not celebrate what is probably a good class was the wrong call.

Hope he gets rest and rejuvenates a bit.

I say this as a Marrone supporter:

If a coaching staff of Any school isn't tired, they aren't working hard enough. This is the gold rush time of year. To not have an event and not celebrate what is probably a good class was the wrong call.

Hope he gets rest and rejuvenates a bit.

Why was it the wrong call?

Why was it the wrong call?

You're rebuilding a program that needs a reinvigorated fan base, is headed to the ACC and needs $upport for facilities.

The program needs three things:

Wins
TV Money
Fan enthusiasm --> Money

Not doing an event was highly disappointing and those who earmark money to football deserve something more than a golf outting in June.

Stony brook???? HUH????? when the F@$k did we become buttgirls???

You're rebuilding a program that needs a reinvigorated fan base, is headed to the ACC and needs $upport for facilities.

The program needs three things:

Wins
TV Money
Fan enthusiasm --> Money

Not doing an event was highly disappointing and those who earmark money to football deserve something more than a golf outting in June.

It's really part of the job, it should have been done. I think it showed a lack of class ( just a bit) on whoever decided not to have one. Basically a big F You to supporters

It's really part of the job, it should have been done. I think it showed a lack of class ( just a bit) on whoever decided not to have one. Basically a big F You to supporters
agreed

Isn't this the AD's job...to make sure something like this gets done?

Stony brook???? HUH????? when the F@$k did we become buttgirls???

Ever since like '08, we've played FCS teams every year. We were one of the last teams to start scheduling one every season.

Isn't this the AD's job...to make sure something like this gets done?

Well sure it is, but do you think this didn't happen because of Gross? It happened because Marrone did not want to do it. I would have a tough time believing anything else. If Marrone said, lets do it like he has said in previous years then it gets done. I highly doubt Gross or one of the 500 assistant AD's called it off. Marrone had proven his first 2-3 years that he understands these things are important to the fanbase, I wonder what has changed. I mean the event a few years ago probably cost $1,000, it's not what it cost but the gesture

He can do whatever he wants but like I said, I think an event like this is part of the job, that is my only point and to me shows a synge of a lack of class on his part, is what it is. Someone or something has pissed Marrone off for sure because I am sure he understands that this is part of the job

Marrone is morphing into a grumpy old football coach, which is fine if he wins games

Ever since like '08, we've played FCS teams every year. We were one of the last teams to start scheduling one every season.

Correct and since SU has so many spots to fill it's crazy to expect to have USC, NW, Minny and 2 other big schools on the OOC schedule. I thought the schedule with TCU and WV was going to be too tough as it is, not just by playing good teams but the physical toll it would take as well.

Somebody ought to send the big guy a lap dance and a pitcher of beer.
with his super secret syracuse system we may never find out if he went or even enjoyed it-

Doug is fine, just a bit grumpy and tired, nothing a few wins won't do. We need 7 or 8.

I think he realizes that fan are NOT coming back until they win games, won't win games until he recruits better, hires a better staff and does a better job himself, pretty easy to figure out

He's done trying to sell tickets.

He's done trying to sell tickets.

Yep, I agree that is the impression that I am getting from all this, I think after 3 years he figures he has done all he can and seen minimal improvement probably figures its best to lock down and win games and that is the only way. The selling of the program to the community has to get old.

Win some games, score some points is the best way.

Trying to sell tix is like the new client that you have courted time and time again and sooner or later you realize it ain't happening, move on and focus on other things I just feel the recruitingday event is for existing ticket holders, the die hards more or less. The smaller the better, IMO

Yep, I agree that is the impression that I am getting from all this, I think after 3 years he figures he has done all he can and seen minimal improvement probably figures its best to lock down and win games and that is the only way. The selling of the program to the community has to get old.

Win some games, score some points is the best way.

Trying to sell tix is like the new client that you have courted time and time again and sooner or later you realize it ain't happening, move on and focus on other things I just feel the recruitingday event is for existing ticket holders, the die hards more or less. The smaller the better, IMO

I don't think it's the biggest deal, but I agree it's bad not to have an event. It wreaks of being small time. I can see being frustrated about selling tix, but a signing day event is one of those things BCS schools have to have. I wonder if there was a single other one that didn't have an event?

with his super secret syracuse system we may never find out if he went or even enjoyed it-

Super secret?

For three years the guy has gone out of his way to provide in depth and in detail insight on what he is seeing. Bringing Rahme in for game plan briefings, not spinning a bunch of coach speak at his press conferences, giving warts and all analysis at the luncheons. He has been probably too open and provided too much information about the state of the program and what they are and aren't capable of.

And what's he get for it, a constant bleat from a bunch of internet experts twisting what he says.

He can't stop the kremlinologists from interpreting sideline body language, but you don't expect a whole lot information beyond the minimal amount required from herein out.

Super secret?

For three years the guy has gone out of his way to provide in depth and in detail insight on what he is seeing. Bringing Rahme in for game plan briefings, not spinning a bunch of coach speak at his press conferences, giving warts and all analysis at the luncheons. He has been probably too open and provided too much information about the state of the program and what they are and aren't capable of.

And what's he get for it, a constant bleat from a bunch of internet experts twisting what he says.

He can't stop the kremlinologists from interpreting sideline body language, but you don't expect a whole lot information beyond the minimal amount required from herein out.

In general, I agree. It's backfired on him but when you lose 5 in a row and the offense blows people will get restless but we aren't losing those games because of Doug's sideline demeanor or how quickly he hires assistants or because he looks burned out, etc etc. We are losing because he needs to recruit better and get the offense more explosive and get specials under wraps

The AD wanted to. Doug did not.

Doug reports to the AD, so if TGD really wanted to do it... It would have happened...

Not saying he didn't placate to Dougie's preference to not do this here, but doesn't change the fact that TGD could have said, "Sorry Doug, suck it up, it's happening so put on your happy face."

Anyways, live and learn... There's been enough negative fan chatter on this to raise a red flag - I doubt TGD let's this go unheralded without a better event next year...

He's tired and rightfully so. And he should be. I love Marrone and all but would I trade away being that tired for a million dollars? No doubt.

So what you are saying is he's pouting. Well, that's professional. And in year 3, he's given up on program building. And you think that is a good thing. Well, okay.

So what you are saying is he's pouting. Well, that's professional. And in year 3, he's given up on program building. And you think that is a good thing. Well, okay.

How does that equate to giving up on program building. He's going to focus more time on just coaching the team.

And I didn't provide an opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom