Dr. Daryl Gross Received $1.5M After NCAA Violations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dr. Daryl Gross Received $1.5M After NCAA Violations

Yeah, that's what I've thought for years (and was getting at in the first post).

For a lot of old CNY football fan types, aesthetics matter. West Coast young black guy with a Porsche and a photo of two phones on his ear? Scary. Old Northeast curmudgeon in a cardigan with a pack of Winstons in his breast pocket? Not scary.

Folks don't like change, and that change set Gross off on the wrong foot through no fault of his own.

When he started racking up some actual mistakes, that confirmed initial suspicions to the old-timers and also opened up the door for new criticism from people who actually care about having substantive reasons to be critical.
oh give me a break.

there is a reason gross is at UCCCLA and cantor is chancellor of some some rutgers mall kiosk

Jake was a loyal company man. He was told by Buzz to make do with what he had, so Jake kept his mouth shut.

Maybe a different AD would have thrown Buzz and the bean counters under the bus, but Jake just toed the company line and said it was impossible.

Yeah, he was an OK guy. Stayed in his lane, generally wasn't trying to reinvent the department or any of the programs.

It was never "NYC's college campaign".

It was New York's College Team. New York STATE.

The same ads ran in Buffalo and Albany.

I know it was supposed to be NY’s college team. But let’s not pretend that the spend was even across the state.

Orange in the Apple and all that stuff spoke to Gross’s objective of the campaign.

Jake was a loyal company man. He was told by Buzz to make do with what he had, so Jake kept his mouth shut.

Maybe a different AD would have thrown Buzz and the bean counters under the bus, but Jake just toed the company line and said it was impossible.

Jake Crouthamel was anything but a normal AD. Guy only brought about the Big East, hired Mac and brought about the transition to Pasqualoni which allowed our football team to flourish in that 1987-1998 era. He was so married to the idea of the Big East that, in spite of our ACC indifference, got to a Virginian head fake from being asked to join in 2003. If that happens so many things would have been different for our football program. Maybe they keep Pasqualoni through the transition and see things through. Perhaps a Ray Rice led team would have brought about a competitive team for the mid 2000s.

Jake was instrumental to the modern Syracuse athletic model. He was getting old but the idea of replacing him with a west coast guy who wanted us to be USC was just a dumb decision that i attribute more to the BoT and the Chancellor. Syracuse is a Northeastern Power, not a school that can be molded into USC. Gross thought that and it didn't work.

Glad we have Wildhack who gets Syracuse.

My unsolicited thoughts:
A private university can do what it wants within the law.
Speculation: It was cheaper to keep Gross and mollify him with a contract extension than to fire him for cause and risk a high-profile, expensive lawsuit. He eventually left on his own for other athletic pastures.
JB is a Syracuse lifer who's given his all to the university and the program. In comparison to other coaches he doesn't bust the bank. Never has. And although he's made a few minor errors (qualify them as you wish) over the span of 40+ years (and a NC), would you have wanted anyone else there? Y'know 5 half-*** coaches over that span (or however it played-out)?
And yes I am an apologist for all the joy and heartache I've gotten from a private university that owes me nothing. What some call "deceitful" can also be looked at as an adroit handling of a situation that played out to SU's advantage. Why would they not do that? Gross is gone w/a minimum of acrimony and JB reigns, compiling FFs and Sweet 16s. There are counterpoints to my assertions, but overall a masterful job by SU. Enough w/the "SU should've self-flagellated more."

This FOR SURE!! I really dont get the outcry over this.

First of all, its incorrect facts. He didnt get 1.5 mil after ncaa violations.

He got a 3 yr 1.5 mil deal that we got out of for abotu 1.0 million paid in a clean divorce. Thats almost certainly cheaper than what a messy divorce would have been. Simple.

Urban legend.

Jake actually did all the research on the Field Turf project, but he didn't have the money in the budget, and Buzz was cheap. It wasn't until Chancy Nancy opened up the checkbook that the turf was replaced.

She opened up the checkbook and actually destroyed the university's reputation academically by allowing more kids into the school which dinged the ranking of the university. The school dropped from around 40 to around 60 which matters to getting quality students. I rather the intelligent AD counting pennies but hiring someone who wants to be here (Boeheim/Pasqualoni) than overspending from a square peg squeezing into a round hole. Now we have the money from the ACC to spend more liberally but don't spend it if u don't have it. BC never spent it and then made out with intelligent hires like Tom O'Brien who made them competitive.

She opened up the checkbook and actually destroyed the university's reputation academically by allowing more kids into the school which dinged the ranking of the university. The school dropped from around 40 to around 60 which matters to getting quality students. I rather the intelligent AD counting pennies but hiring someone who wants to be here (Boeheim/Pasqualoni) than overspending from a square peg squeezing into a round hole. Now we have the money from the ACC to spend more liberally but don't spend it if u don't have it. BC never spent it and then made out with intelligent hires like Tom O'Brien who made them competitive.

I agree with your AD preference but BC & O’Brien aren’t a good example.

O'Brien interviewed for every possible opening for an eternity before he left for...NC State.

I agree with your AD preference but BC & O’Brien aren’t a good example.

O'Brien interviewed for every possible opening for an eternity before he left for...NC State.

75-45, 8 bowl games. Why is that a bad example of good football? We would build a statue for Dino if he did that. The interviewing for other jobs will be the reality for Dino when we win 10 games this year. Don't be foolish about people perpetually looking for better opportunities. That's why Pasqualoni in the early 90s was a gift b/c the guy was happy where he was. He probably could have landed somewhere better coming off the Fiesta but didn't angle it. You can fault him for other things but he wasn't an opportunist

75-45, 8 bowl games. Why is that a bad example of good football? We would build a statue for Dino if he did that. The interviewing for other jobs will be the reality for Dino when we win 10 games this year. Don't be foolish about people perpetually looking for better opportunities. That's why Pasqualoni in the early 90s was a gift b/c the guy was happy where he was. He probably could have landed somewhere better coming off the Fiesta but didn't angle it. You can fault him for other things but he wasn't an opportunist

You prefer an intelligent AD who counts pennies and hires people who want to be at SU (I agree). But then you use BC and TOB as an example of this model.

BC & TOB might fit the penny pinching part but clearly TOB didn’t want to stay in Chestnut Hill. That’s why I thought it wasn’t a good example.

He had a solid 10 seasons at BC but spent half of them looking to get out. That’s the new normal in today’s college football but TOB was ahead of his time for interviewing every year from 2003-2006.

It’s why posters to this day (12 years after he left BC) still joke that TOB is interviewing for ______ opening.

Gross did have some accomplishments here. Big improvements to the field turf at the dome, improved Olympic sport team coaching are a couple that come to mind. I think he was creative about improving revenues while still in the Big East. Premium seating at BB games, for example. I think we are better off with our current AD, but Gross was not the complete disaster as asserted by some.

I never said that he didn’t have his accomplishments. I said he had little to nothing to do with the ACC invite.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I've thought for years (and was getting at in the first post).

For a lot of old CNY football fan types, aesthetics matter. West Coast young black guy with a Porsche and a photo of two phones on his ear? Scary. Old Northeast curmudgeon in a cardigan with a pack of Winstons in his breast pocket? Not scary.

Folks don't like change, and that change set Gross off on the wrong foot through no fault of his own.

When he started racking up some actual mistakes, that confirmed initial suspicions to the old-timers and also opened up the door for new criticism from people who actually care about having substantive reasons to be critical.

I remember him being photographed with USC luggage on a Syracuse road trip.

One of Gross’s biggest issues was that he was so inattentive to detail, that he didn’t even pause to think about the optics of that. So in a sense it was a precursor of what was to come.

I have no problem with a flashy black AD in a sports car - as long as he’s in tune enough to reality to use appropriate luggage on road trips.

In summary - he wasn’t terrible...but I don’t miss him. At all.

I remember him being photographed with USC luggage on a Syracuse road trip.

One of Gross’s biggest issues was that he was so inattentive to detail, that he didn’t even pause to think about the optics of that. So in a sense it was a precursor of what was to come.

I have no problem with a flashy black AD in a sports car - as long as he’s in tune enough to reality to use appropriate luggage on road trips.

In summary - he wasn’t terrible...but I don’t miss him. At all.

Ithaca Barrell confronting him over the luggage at Notre Dame was totally classic.

Gross did have some accomplishments here. Big improvements to the field turf at the dome, improved Olympic sport team coaching are a couple that come to mind. I think he was creative about improving revenues while still in the Big East. Premium seating at BB games, for example. I think we are better off with our current AD, but Gross was not the complete disaster as asserted by some.
Had Gross hired a good fb coach vs GRob, he would have been remembered as a hero, and the best AD that we ever had. But he didn’t, so he won’t.

It’s probably not fair, but it’s how life works.

Last edited:
Gross had little to nothing to do with SU getting into the ACC. SU had been flirting with the ACC since the 80's and we were a Virginia tech/state of Virginia temper tantrum away from an official invite in 03.
Well, no one else got us in during that 20+ year stretch.

Gross had good timing. He happened to be the AD in 2013, when the realignment frenzy guaranteed that SU was headed to the ACC.

I love Dr Gross. Made sure we didn't turn into uconn.

Everyone gets a pass from me on the Fab situation we kept a ESL student who was only here to play ball and move on to the NBA eligible and got buried by the NCAA worse than Pedo State was.

I know it was supposed to be NY’s college team. But let’s not pretend that the spend was even across the state.

Orange in the Apple and all that stuff spoke to Gross’s objective of the campaign.
And nor should it have been. There are 8.5 million people in NYC. That’s almost half the population of the state, and doesn’t include Long Island and Westchester, easily putting it over half. Throw in NJ and CT and the idea gets us the most exposure. It’s why Rutgers is B1G and likely why we are ACC. Money isn’t made in Rochester, Albany, or Buffalo like it is in NYC. Understand we are not just talking about the abundance of alumni, we are talking about new eyes on the program, new TV interest, more donors, more interest from advertisers and well, naming rights value. In other words, brand value.

And nor should it have been. There are 8.5 million people in NYC. That’s almost half the population of the state, and doesn’t include Long Island and Westchester, easily putting it over half. Throw in NJ and CT and the idea gets us the most exposure. It’s why Rutgers is B1G and likely why we are ACC. Money isn’t made in Rochester, Albany, or Buffalo like it is in NYC. Understand we are not just talking about the abundance of alumni, we are talking about new eyes on the program, new TV interest, more donors, more interest from advertisers and well, naming rights value. In other words, brand value.
and recruiting ...

You prefer an intelligent AD who counts pennies and hires people who want to be at SU (I agree). But then you use BC and TOB as an example of this model.

BC & TOB might fit the penny pinching part but clearly TOB didn’t want to stay in Chestnut Hill. That’s why I thought it wasn’t a good example.

He had a solid 10 seasons at BC but spent half of them looking to get out. That’s the new normal in today’s college football but TOB was ahead of his time for interviewing every year from 2003-2006.

It’s why posters to this day (12 years after he left BC) still joke that TOB is interviewing for ______ opening.

TOB was looking for a better job. He was an opportunist for sure. We may or may not have one in Dino. He hasn’t won enough to see if he’s gonna flirt w bigger jobs. BC/Syracuse are stepping stone gigs for guys with real national intentions. That’s why I said having a Pasqualoni in the 90s was refreshing b/c he was completely happy winning at Syracuse vs looking to get to a Big 10 team (which i’m Sure he could have in 1996).

I get the joke about TOB but let’s not pretend we may be the joke when it happens under our watch someday

TOB was looking for a better job. He was an opportunist for sure. We may or may not have one in Dino. He hasn’t won enough to see if he’s gonna flirt w bigger jobs. BC/Syracuse are stepping stone gigs for guys with real national intentions. That’s why I said having a Pasqualoni in the 90s was refreshing b/c he was completely happy winning at Syracuse vs looking to get to a Big 10 team (which i’m Sure he could have in 1996).

I get the joke about TOB but let’s not pretend we may be the joke when it happens under our watch someday

It already happened with Marrone. He is a better coach than TOB so he didnt have to pound the pavement to the same degree. This is why I said TOB was ahead of his time - a mediocre college coach constantly looking for better gigs.

I don’t think any reasonable SU football fan expects to have a FB version of Boeheim. Most hope for it but realize coaches get poached by bigger schools and the NFL every year.

Indeed we shall see with Dino.

The spend wasn’t even because a taxi placard in NYC is probably 10x more expensive than billboards in Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, and Syracuse combined.

I don’t agree with the myth that NYC exposure offers more of a return than actual arses in seats does. More people attend games from Upstate NY than NYC.

Brand value is more enhanced when the program succeeds on a national level. Edit - Jake C had the ACC bid locked up without purchasing a single taxi placard.

Maybe 750k of the NYC and tri-state population has any interest or connection to SU - including the 50k of alumni in NYC (50k pulled from SU alumni association).

In other words 99% of that metro region doesn’t give two figs about SU or SU sports. With all of the competing cultural attractions and pro sports offerings in NYC it’s a fool’s errand.

To me it’s in direct conflict with the axiom that ignoring existing customers to chase new ones kills a business.

Last edited:
If you don't like Dr Darryl because of his luggage, phones, personality that's fine. Even for the Coaching hire of Robinson but to say he shouldn't get any credit for landing us safely in the ACC is just odd. The discussions to the ACC likely spanned all layers of SU leadership and no last second activity occurred to keep SU out and however a “given” some seem to think it was for Cuse, just remember that it is never a given when it comes to a deal and anything from any direction can potentially tank a deal. It happened on his watch, he is in the team picture for the move.

The spend wasn’t even because a taxi placard in NYC is probably 10x more expensive than billboards in Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, and Syracuse combined.

I don’t agree with the myth that NYC exposure offers more of a return than actual arses in seats does. More people attend games from Upstate NY than NYC.

Brand value is more enhanced when the program succeeds on a national level. Edit - Jake C had the ACC bid locked up without purchasing a single taxi placard.

Maybe 750k of the NYC and tri-state population has any interest or connection to SU - including the 50k of alumni in NYC (50k pulled from SU alumni association).

In other words 99% of that metro region doesn’t give two figs about SU or SU sports. With all of the competing cultural attractions and pro sports offerings in NYC it’s a fool’s errand.

To me it’s in direct conflict with the axiom that ignoring existing customers to chase new ones kills a business.

It does offer more return because it’s new butts in seats. New butts with potentially more disposable income. New butts that can tell 10,000 people about what they saw, not 10. Game attendance is great, but TV exposure is way more lucrative. If you matter to NYC, then you’ll get the national exposure you want. We don’t have that, or even the potential with 45,000 upstate attendees. You improve that if you maintain the 25,000-30,000 and add 15,000 downstate eyes that tune in or tell their friends to watch because there’s something fun or special going on in the Dome. Then advertisers care. Then ad time goes up in value, then TV contracts go up. Then NYC metro area corporations are drawn to naming opportunities, or joint venture research grants. IBM, Pfizer, MetLife, etc.