Draft Potentials... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Draft Potentials...

He makes all the throws and mechics seem sound. I feel like he will get a shot. To me his comp is poor mans Mariota. Never thought Marcus had a big league arm but commands a team

Exactly, mariotta, mayfield, are just a few that his arm compares to and might even be better. Not all NFL qbs spin it like Rogers, the eagles qbs, and even garopalo.

I don't see it. Really good college qb, probably even a great college qb if he could stay healthy...but I don't see him making NFL throws.

Most of baker mayfields action was inside 15 yards, wrs crossing and getting yac. He didnt drop back and zip 20 yd out patterns to the opposite number. The league is all aboit rpos just like college more and more. The thought that a qb needs to be the old school prototypical cannon is long gone. Sure a cannon helps, but not a necessity anymore.

Pierce to me reminds me of Vernon Davis size wise. Pierce is fast but I don’t think he is Davis fast.
Davis drops passes and that is Pierce problem sometimes.
Davis is 6’3” 235-240.
I think that is Pierce range as a pro.
Pierce stays healthy he will be drafted next year.

Exactly, mariotta, mayfield, are just a few that his arm compares to and might even be better. Not all NFL qbs spin it like Rogers, the eagles qbs, and even garopalo.
Mariotta definitely has a stronger arm I think. Dude can toss it. Mayfield idk.
I was told by a coach friend that dungey throws a “soft ball” whatever that means. I just pretended I knew what he was talking about.

I think Dungey has NFL potential if he can show some degree of durability. He’s a smart kid, leader, strong, and would be perfect for an NFL team IF IF IF he shows an ability to stay on field.

Dungey would be out for the season his first series in a NFL game.

Pierce, Slayton, Robinson (if he improves),

Longshots:
Adams?
Roberts?

Strickland and Custis if they reach their potential. Custis is furthest down the line of longshots
Don’t see Strickland anywhere near a nfl camp. Kid works hard but doesn’t have it running the ball. Great blocker though.

Mariotta definitely has a stronger arm I think. Dude can toss it. Mayfield idk.
I was told by a coach friend that dungey throws a “soft ball” whatever that means. I just pretended I knew what he was talking about.

Most of the time a "soft ball" means the QB throws a very catchable ball and that is a positive. Knows when to drill it into a tight spot and knows how to put proper timing and zip on it, but arrive very catchable. Aaron rogers, Russell Wilson, and big ben are a few pros with very good arms that have that quality.

Pierce
Slayton
Dungey
Conway

I think Dungey is very draftable. I think what people forget is he is super intelligent. Never QB'd in the same system twice in a row until Babers came along, and still opened eyes.

If Nassib got a shot, I certainly think Dungey does.

All that being said, I know that Phil Steele only has Dungey as the 26th most draftable QB. I'm like "what?" But I guess many on this forum would agree with him for whatever reason.

If you think Dungey isn't draftable because he has had an injury every season, I think you are missing something

Most of the time a "soft ball" means the QB throws a very catchable ball and that is a positive. Knows when to drill it into a tight spot and knows how to put proper timing and zip on it, but arrive very catchable. Aaron rogers, Russell Wilson, and big ben are a few pros with very good arms that have that quality.
Exactly what I was going to say, Ish. All this "oh, the QB has a canon for an arm" means diddly squat if you can't consistently get it to your receiver and give them an opportunity to make a play

Exactly what I was going to say, Ish. All this "oh, the QB has a canon for an arm" means diddly squat if you can't consistently get it to your receiver and give them an opportunity to make a play

Spot on, some guys can hit all the throws against air and look like namath. Its about understanding just how a reciever is covered, understanding angles, and just how the ball needs to arrive to give your receiver the best chance to catch it. THAT'S what the great ones do. ED has a bit of that. Combined with his elite size, strength, and smarts pre and post snap...i believe he gets a legit shot. Not mentioning his competitive fire. His arm is better than bakers, tebows, and some other qbs taken the past few years. He has to overcome his look playimg with a below average OL and lack of a running game. He has made careers for ISH, Erv, AET thus far, not the other way around.

Qb's are drafted for many different reasons
College success
Measurable's with upside
Arm talent , release , feet , pocket mobility ,
Completion percentage
Most college Qb's are crap shoots as there's no way to see how they will translate to the NFL .. but make no mistake about it arm talent is the first and foremost thing they covet . Sure you can throw with touch and that can be developed but elite arm strength is a gift that can't be bought

Is there any shot with ED athletic amity and size/smarts he gets look at another position? TE?

I think dungey is more of a straight baller than a quarterback.
That’s hurts his stock unfortunately

Guys. He hasn’t played a full season. NFL won’t take a shot at that unless it’s a 7th rounder.

Guys. He hasn’t played a full season. NFL won’t take a shot at that unless it’s a 7th rounder.

I agree w that. He needs a full season and one he leads Syracuse from the basement. Scouts see this stuff. Degree of difficulty is high.

My whole point is he’s worthy of a 5-7 rounder if he does those things

Agree, ED has just as good an arm as baker, if not better...baker just had the luxury of a great oline and stud receivers running free in the secondary.

Seriously? Baker has a cannon...go back and watch his film. I love ED but there is zero comparison between the two.

I like Dungey as a gamer but he isn’t an NFL QB.
I call him a poor man’s Tebow. Tebow wouldn’t play H-back that is the position for Dungey in the NFL. He is a hybrid TE/FB. Think Trey Burton as a Dungey NFL comp.

Watch the tape of the Miami game from last year. He isn’t wildly inaccurate outside of the hashes. He is a gamer and tough as nails college QB but he can’t play QB in the NFL he can’t complete 60% of his college passes against good competition.

I think he could have a special year but I don’t see him playing under Center in the NFL. Nassib is the type of QB the NFL like.

I hope we recruit more Dungey like QBs as they have great potential in the college game. I loved the mortal kombat feet first move on the Miami player last year.

I like Dungey as a gamer but he isn’t an NFL QB.
I call him a poor man’s Tebow. Tebow wouldn’t play H-back that is the position for Dungey in the NFL. He is a hybrid TE/FB.

Watch the tape of the Miami game from last year. He isn’t wildly inaccurate outside of the hashes. He is a gamer and tough as nails college QB but he can’t play QB in the NFL he can’t complete 60% of his college passes against good competition.

I think he could have a special year but I don’t see him playing under Center in the NFL. Nassib is the type of QB the NFL like.

While I don't necessarily disagree - I'd hate to use the Miami game in your example - the weather stunk

While I don't necessarily disagree - I'd hate to use the Miami game in your example - the weather stunk
The bad weather games are the ones the NFL evaluatiors want. They tell you how you throw when the ball is wet and whether a QB’s hand size is large enough to overcome the weather.

Plus Miami has an NFL DL.
The Clemson game showed Dungey’s athletism it didn’t show him carving it up in the air.
The kid has skills but he isn’t an NFL QB IMO.
I said Trey Burton type in the pros.