Draft Potentials... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Draft Potentials...

While I don't necessarily disagree - I'd hate to use the Miami game in your example - the weather stunk
Who sees more bad weather, college quarterbacks whose seasons end shortly after thanksgiving or pro quarterbacks who play into at least december, january if their team is good?

Who sees more bad weather, college quarterbacks whose seasons end shortly after thanksgiving or pro quarterbacks who play into at least december, january if their team is good?

I understand NFL will judge on ALL games but I agreed with alsacs. I don't think Dungey is an NFL QB. I just think it's too easy for those who would argue for Dungey as an NFL QB to say that the weather was bad. It'd be like using the hurricane wake game

I try to be realistic and manage my expectations and the legend that is Dungey...

But then I remember the defensive lines and pass attacks hes been successful against.

NC ST
Notre Dame
Bc
Fsu
...LSU
...MIAMI
.....CLEMSON

Its absurd if you think about it.

If he was on a Pac 12 team or maybe like wvu this guy would be dominating. The acc is tough as nails

I like Dungey as a gamer but he isn’t an NFL QB.
I call him a poor man’s Tebow. Tebow wouldn’t play H-back that is the position for Dungey in the NFL. He is a hybrid TE/FB. Think Trey Burton as a Dungey NFL comp.

Watch the tape of the Miami game from last year. He isn’t wildly inaccurate outside of the hashes. He is a gamer and tough as nails college QB but he can’t play QB in the NFL he can’t complete 60% of his college passes against good competition.

I think he could have a special year but I don’t see him playing under Center in the NFL. Nassib is the type of QB the NFL like.

I hope we recruit more Dungey like QBs as they have great potential in the college game. I loved the mortal kombat feet first move on the Miami player last year.

He completed 65% as a soph...59-60% his other two years. I think the difference was his WR’s, and the lack of talent at that position will show against better competition. His soph year was the only year we had pretty good overall WR play beyond just 1 guy.

He completed 65% as a soph...59-60% his other two years. I think the difference was his WR’s, and the lack of talent at that position will show against better competition. His soph year was the only year we had pretty good overall WR play beyond just 1 guy.
Listen I love him as a player. He just doesn’t look to me as an NFL QB.
He doesn’t look off his first read that much.
He looks to run if that read is covered.
He doesn’t throw the ball in tight windows.
He is an athlete in the NFL.
He will be an NFL training camp next year but I wouldn’t play him at QB.

It’s not a knock it’s just looking it at from the NFL POV. His game in college doesn’t resemble that of an NFL prospect at QB.

Listen I love him as a player. He just doesn’t look to me as an NFL QB.
He doesn’t look off his first read that much.
He looks to run if that read is covered.
He doesn’t throw the ball in tight windows.
He is an athlete in the NFL.
He will be an NFL training camp next year but I wouldn’t play him at QB.

It’s not a knock it’s just looking it at from the NFL POV. His game in college doesn’t resemble that of an NFL prospect at QB.

I don't think you realize how little talent he's surrounded by. We have below average RBs, WRs and an O-Line. It's really hard to grade him so far especially w his habitual injuries. What he does have going for him is leadership, intelligence, coachability, good kid, good arm. I'm not saying he's gonna vault into a top 3 round pick but if i'm a good team looking for a developmental QB, he's not a bad gamble.

The Patriots drafted Danny Etling who i thought was nothing to write home about. When I saw it made me think about Dungey and his abilities. To me Dungey > Etling

I don't think you realize how little talent he's surrounded by. We have below average RBs, WRs and an O-Line. It's really hard to grade him so far especially w his habitual injuries. What he does have going for him is leadership, intelligence, coachability, good kid, good arm. I'm not saying he's gonna vault into a top 3 round pick but if i'm a good team looking for a developmental QB, he's not a bad gamble.

The Patriots drafted Danny Etling who i thought was nothing to write home about. When I saw it made me think about Dungey and his abilities. To me Dungey > Etling
Etling sucks.
However he has an NFL QB body frame and above average arm.
He sucks and will be a practice squad player at most.
Patriots liked his size and arm. Didn’t realize how awful he was at throwing into tight windows at OTAs and his accuracy wasn’t good the reporters said.
Dungey is a better college QB than Etling but the guy doesn’t show the stuff the NFL evaluators look at.
Talent around you doesn’t mean squat for NFL draft evaluations.
It’s a combo of height, accuracy, hand size and arm strength.

Seriously? Baker has a cannon...go back and watch his film. I love ED but there is zero comparison between the two.

Yeah, when I read that post I had to chuckle. Baker and ED are close to polar opposites in terms of arm talent, accuracy, and size. If you are familiar with the OP's work, this kind of stuff is not out of the ordinary.

The lack of talent and oline issues can't be overlooked, but there were numerous times last year when he ran before he was rushed and in fact ran himself into pressure. He relies too much on the clock in his head and does not always do a good job of feeling pressure.

Like a number of others on here, I love the guy as a college player. He's certainly the most dynamic qb we've had since McNabb. I just don't see an NFL qb.

Last edited:
Dungey = Jeff Garcia. Lacks arm strength and too small will be the knocks, but is athletic and has a “knack”.
Too small...seriously? ED is as big or bigger than most of the current NFL QBs.

Qb's are drafted for many different reasons
College success
Measurable's with upside
Arm talent , release , feet , pocket mobility ,
Completion percentage
Most college Qb's are crap shoots as there's no way to see how they will translate to the NFL .. but make no mistake about it arm talent is the first and foremost thing they covet . Sure you can throw with touch and that can be developed but elite arm strength is a gift that can't be bought
Arm talent doesn't exclusively translate to arm strength. Accuracy is by far, the most important metric.

Seriously? Baker has a cannon...go back and watch his film. I love ED but there is zero comparison between the two.

I've watched it, he really doesnt, he throws well on the run and makes plays outta very little. He is dynamic. EDs arm has been underrated for years now ever since he was labeled a running qb. Has been going on for 20 years.

Hey, its July and this is always a fun game to play. Yes, plenty of underclassmen will be mentioned and there is alot of FB to be played but here goes:
ED, TD
Conway, Servais
Slayton, mcWilliams, Robinson, ochekukwu
Fredericks, scoop, Clark, trill, Melifonwu
Our punter.
Fun stuff...there may be more that develop, hopefully receivers...
It's hard to believe that no one has mentioned Koda Martin. Pre-season 2nd team All SEC at OLT. He could be our highest drafted player since Pugh.

Arm talent doesn't exclusively translate to arm strength. Accuracy is by far, the most important metric.
Arm talent produces proper arm strength
Some have string arms with slow long releases thus voiding there arm strength

He has above average running backs and receives.

His o line was battered and had 0 depth. O line and tight end has been the issue and thats fixed.

Erv, riley and jamal dropping passes killed us too

Sorry, for those in the know, can you educate on the distinction between arm talent and arm strength? I think I'm clear on arm strength, but arm talent?

Sorry, for those in the know, can you educate on the distinction between arm talent and arm strength? I think I'm clear on arm strength, but arm talent?
Arm talent is the ability to make the big Boy throws , the outs , the comebacks , the dig routes , not just throw the ball 70 plus yards , or have to hitch into throws or need a wind up to get juice on the ball

Thanks for asking that question Mike, I was thinking arm strength was for arm wrestling and arm talent for controlling your puppets.

He has above average running backs and receives.

His o line was battered and had 0 depth. O line and tight end has been the issue and thats fixed.

Erv, riley and jamal dropping passes killed us too

McNabb had above average receivers and RBs. We have below average in both. When was the last time we had a WR or RB drafted? Delone Carter and Mike Williams?

Look at the talent at the skill positions at Clemson, Miami versus us. Night and day. In 1998 we were on par w those schools in the skill dept.

McNabb had above average receivers and RBs. We have below average in both. When was the last time we had a WR or RB drafted? Delone Carter and Mike Williams?

Look at the talent at the skill positions at Clemson, Miami versus us. Night and day. In 1998 we were on par w those schools in the skill dept.
Our receivers outplayed miami’s noticeablyz they had drop after drop that kept us in it. strickland played great against clemson

Arm Strength: Jamarcus Russell

Arm Talent: Aaron Rodgers

The difference in velocity on throws to the sideline between McNabb and Dungey isn't even close. Being able to throw it on a rope doesn't make a guy an NFL qb by itself, but it is something you have to be able to do against tight coverage every now and then. Very few guys have been able to make it in the pros on accuracy alone and Dungey has not proven he has elite accuracy to make up for mediocre arm strength.

Probably not. But neither do 60% of the other QB's in the league.
Of course they do. There are highs and lows in all measurables. Any QB on a roster has a NFL arm by definition. It may not be elite, it may be below average, but it is still an NFL arm.