Class of 2017 - DT Lamonte McDougle (FL) Grad transfer Washington St/Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 DT Lamonte McDougle (FL) Grad transfer Washington St/Offered

Interesting but some due diligence is needed.

Cuse would be his third school. He was a Freshman All American so the talent is there. Didn't WVU play a defense similar to ours?

Interesting but some due diligence is needed.

Cuse would be his third school. He was a Freshman All American so the talent is there. Didn't WVU play a defense similar to ours?
They played a 3-3-5 at one point. Not sure when he was on the team.

Per various profiles, it looks like he's somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-0 to 6-1 and 290 pounds.

I’m glad we are offering dt. Wonder if DB offered because he’s a graduate transfer just in case transfer rule does not change. There some other DT in the portal I hope the staff is reaching out.

So by my count we wanted another DT with Bear and Harper on the team. IF Bear and Harper are moving on, we will be down 2. My guess is while not public, the staff asked for the players answers before Christmas at the latest so they could plan appropriately. So if we see offers to a couple DT transfers that may be telling. Hopefully McDougle is a commit.

Last edited:
So by my count we wanted another DT with Bear and Harper on the team. IF Bear and Harper are mo on, we will be down 2. My guess is while not public, the staff asked for the players answers before Christmas at the latest so they could plan appropriately. So if we see offers to a couple DT transfers that may be telling. Hopefully McDougle is a commit.
361c862e4346956952f58a929666cdcc.jpg

Even if Bear stays which I hope I feel he could shift to DE. We could bring in at least two DT 300 pounds plus. That would help with run defense.

Even if Bear stays which I hope I feel he could shift to DE. We could bring in at least two DT 300 pounds plus. That would help with run defense.

Agreed.
There no downside to bringing in 1-2 Big’uns at DT to help fortify the middle of the D-line.

Competition, depth, rotational and positional flexibility - it’s all good.

It’s not about bringing in a 300 pounder. It’s about bringing in someone that can move at that weight. This scheme is movement based. A big DT that can’t perform the necessary stunts can actually hurt the scheme overall.

It’s not about bringing in a 300 pounder. It’s about bringing in someone that can move at that weight. This scheme is movement based. A big DT that can’t perform the necessary stunts can actually hurt the scheme overall.

Exactly. There's also a difference based upon frame. A six-foot guy who weighs 290 might be as stout against the run as a 6-5 guy who's 320.

Exactly. There's also a difference based upon frame. A six-foot guy who weighs 290 might be as stout against the run as a 6-5 guy who's 320.
Yes you are right. In this scheme I would much rather have a long leaner body but the shorter guys can be succesful too. We have to find the best guys we can get despite the body type but ideally I would much rather have DE's that are 6'3 to 6'6 and weigh between 275-290 lbs with the quickness and agility to out flank blockers who are bigger and heavier. DE's in 4-3 scheme primarly are one gap players. In the 3-5 they a primarily 2 gap players. They need to have some weight on them but still need to be able to move with quickness. The heavier they are the harder it is for them to keep their quickness and agility. I would like whoever is playing primarily at the 1 and 3 tech's to be closer to 300 lb's. Thats where Bear and Harper is at. Mcdougle moves very well despite his frame. He looks just a quick if not quicker than Bear.

Yes you are right. In this scheme I would much rather have a long leaner body but the shorter guys can be succesful too. We have to find the best guys we can get despite the body type but ideally I would much rather have DE's that are 6'3 to 6'6 and weigh between 275-290 lbs with the quickness and agility to out flank blockers who are bigger and heavier. DE's in 4-3 scheme primarly are one gap players. In the 3-5 they a primarily 2 gap players. They need to have some weight on them but still need to be able to move with quickness. The heavier they are the harder it is for them to keep their quickness and agility. I would like whoever is playing primarily at the 1 and 3 tech's to be closer to 300 lb's. Thats where Bear and Harper is at. Mcdougle moves very well despite his frame. He looks just a quick if not quicker than Bear.

I'm with you -- all things being equal, I'd much rather have 6-4+ DL, and agree 100% about the 3-3-5 requiring more versatility up front. Luckily, Black / Williams are that size -- but what was missing this year was a NT type who could plug the middle and occupy a double team. It was the lone thing lacking from last year's unit.

Don't know if this guy can fill that role -- my kingdom for an Eric Crume or Louis Gachelin type.

I'm with you -- all things being equal, I'd much rather have 6-4+ DL, and agree 100% about the 3-3-5 requiring more versatility up front. Luckily, Black / Williams are that size -- but what was missing this year was a NT type who could plug the middle and occupy a double team. It was the lone thing lacking from last year's unit.

Don't know if this guy can fill that role -- my kingdom for an Eric Crume or Louis Gachelin type.
Yes, need guys like them that can force double teams. Hopefully we get Bear back along with a guy like McDougle. Maybe Lockett can fill that role in the future.

Last edited: